FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Some ideas concerning morale and offensive manipulation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Some ideas concerning morale and offensive manipulation. Reply with quote

I just wanted to share a few ideas I had.

First, there could be equipment specifically designed to lower enemy morale, not so much by lowering morale, but using it to approximate other effects. Things like have teargas type weapons, or flashbang type weaponry. Specific defenses could be had against this, but it would only take 1-2 units to affect an entire army, so if you used 4-6 units each equipped with a variety of things for lowering morale, your opponent couldn't possibly defend against all of it. Obviously different units have different weaknesses. Tanks for instance, could be affected instead by a sort of quasi emp effect, that doesn't disable the tank, but screws up it's functions enough to lower it's morale. There could also be variations on each morale reducer. A flashbang bomber for example, only blinds and makes noise for an instant, so your troops can recover for a while between blasts, and it has a reduced effect the farther you are from ground zero. On the other hand, you could make a unit that emits a constant high frequency sound your own troops are protected from. It would effect a larger area constantly, but only while it is operational.

Another idea is to have a communications jammer. It would make it impossible to give new orders to units while they are under the jammer shroud. I can think of two variants here: one is that the afflicted troops are aware of the jamming. The jammer reveals it's position, and the troops automatically attack it, or run away, or hold ground, depending on their last given orders, proximity, and level of experience. The other variant would jam the troops communication without them being aware. Here, your troops would simply stand around like idiots/continue their previous orders. In either event, you could lose the fog of war around the afflicted units so you don't know what is happening to them.

With jamming systems like this, especially if they have an on/off switch, you can setup traps by finding a small scouting party, blacking them out, and killing them. Your opponent wouldn't even know what you killed them with, or that they were dead. You could also have a lot of jammers with some strong defences somewhere, and wait for an enemy attack. Turn on the jammers in the heat of battle, and attack their base. Their forces can't be ordered to return.

My last idea is about green troops and morale. I thought it would be neat if brand new troops had a beginer's morale bonus, setting them to full morale (or even 140% or something) until their first morale drop, which completely negates the bonus. Sort of like excited rookie troops thinking of glory and all that, with top morale, then they totally crack as soon as anything goes wrong. Of course, if you had a unit you managed perfectly that never takes a morale hit, it could maintain their uber morale even once they're veterans. Sort of an undefeated hero unit, and maybe give it a permanent morale bonus/resistance/area effect bonus if you managed to do that. I personally like creating my own heroes in an rts. Like in Starcraft, I'll repair the same Battlecruiser over and over through a game, until it has 5 times more kills than anything else. (I'm assuming it would be very difficult to have any squad NEVER take a morale hit until it becomes a veteran) It would sort of be like an even deeper level to making veteran units; it takes some skill to keep them alive until they're veterans, but it takes an insane amount of skill/luck to keep them from ever taking a morale hit until they're veterans.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally like creating my own heroes in an rts. Like in Starcraft, I'll repair the same Battlecruiser over and over through a game, until it has 5 times more kills than anything else.

It seems logical to link a squads identity, experience, upgrades and training to the actual units, such that when they die everything is lost and you have to start again with a new squad. However, you would think it would be very easy for a lot of units to get taken out from time to time, which makes managing their upgrades and stats a chore.

What if a squad represents the end product fighting force of a large "Behind the scenes" operation that is constantly training new recruits. So if a squad gets wiped out in a battle then new recruits are automatically used in the next battle to ensure what looks like the same squad is available again.

For this to make sense the experience score of the squad would increase when it did well and decrease when it took casualties. So 5 battles in you scout squad has 1000xp and you have chosen a number of equipment upgrades and special training modifiers. All of a sudden they get wiped out which causes a -300xp penalty to be applied. The rookies waiting in the wings step in and are given all the same equipment and training except anything above 700xp, that gets greyed out until they regain the experience.

This means you can spend time tweaking each squad and not have to keep doing it over and over as you take casualties. Maybe each trooper's name could change, but the squad stays together and carries on.
Northy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like Cannon Fodder! Surprised I couldn't play the game if Jools, Jops, Stoo or AJ copped it. Something stopped me.

Edit: as far as morale goes, maybe accuracy and speed/health modifiers could be affected by the presence of nearby friendly and/or enemy troops, taking into consideration the numbers?
Ixian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there should be 2 kinds of experience, offensive and defensive?. Offensive is more speed, more range, more firepower and more health/armour. This should be determined by the number of kills the unit has (or maybe damage done?)

Defensive should be more moral based, with slight improvement to all units within a small radius. Meaning having a Hero or something similar would mean troops are much harder to kill. (this is a bit like the Chinese Propaganda tower from C&C Generals).

In response to Poo Bear, if you ever have the chance to look at a Warhammer 40K rulebook, there's a section detailing experience advancements. The it just states that squads gain experience collectively and that after each death of a memeber the collective experience goes down by a fixed amount. As for equipment any veteran squad would have priority when it comes to new guns or replacements.

Edit: With hereos and the whole moral modifier, wouldnt that also be negative towards the enemy (Oh Noes! its Captain "whatever")?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: