FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
CS: To be or not to be
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Is cs any good?  

It's ok.
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
It sucks ****!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CS pwns joo!
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
OMG-CS-IS-SO-LAME
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11  

Author

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: CS: To be or not to be Reply with quote

What is your opinion?
Debate, debate, debate!

I want to see if this fourm is CS Pro or CS Anti.

Oh, and @ Moonpod team, Let your hearts rule your minds! We dont want purely "Objective" opinions here...

Biased opinions welcome!

Dont know what CS is? Check it out here
Rup

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK. It's got a reputation for being full of cheats and whining kiddies so I never gave it too much time.

Q3 or UT2004 are more fun, or AAO if you want tactical.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to play every lunchtime - but it eventually became so badly broken by wallhack/cham/aimbot users it was just no fun at all. Kind of like what's happened with Wolf ET lately - we like to call them the 'head vibrators' - people who seem to have an uncanny knack for hitting you in the head (so you can't fire back easily) from the other side of the map.

When there's none of them around, it's still fun though.

Anyone know if the situation with Counter Strike has improved with the release of CS|Source?
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS source has really nice graphics, sounds, animations, and physics. It's a fun way to kill an hour or two, but the lack of depth makes me prefer other multiplayer FPS games like Call of Duty or Enemy Territory. It seems the strategy is always buy the "best weapon you can afford, and a grenade if you want to" I'm sure at highly compeditive levels of play there's much more to it than this but compared to ET it's just so simple.

I only play with friends really so I don't know much about the cheating situation.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
It's OK. It's got a reputation for being full of cheats and whining kiddies so I never gave it too much time.

Q3 or UT2004 are more fun, or AAO if you want tactical.

Q3 = Cant find it in stores,
UT04 = LAGGGOMAINIA!!! (Im 56k)
AAO = Big download.

Hamish wrote:
CS source has really nice graphics, sounds, animations, and physics. It's a fun way to kill an hour or two, but the lack of depth makes me prefer other multiplayer FPS games like Call of Duty or Enemy Territory. It seems the strategy is always buy the "best weapon you can afford, and a grenade if you want to" I'm sure at highly compeditive levels of play there's much more to it than this but compared to ET it's just so simple.

I only play with friends really so I don't know much about the cheating situation.

CoD has Depth?! I thought it was just "Get to the machine gun and Pwn every1 else.
Fost wrote:
but it eventually became so badly broken by wallhack/cham/aimbot users
Whats a cham?
Neway, the cheating that so many people whine about is actually not all that common on css. Play on the NZ servers like the ICONZ servers that i play on and there is votekick when a admin isnt around and plenty of good admins!

But yea, css gets old after a hour or 2.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it okay, but I really disagree with the way it structures games and awards money by default. The game has a number of positive feedback loops that mean that whichever team wins the first round or two has a massive advantage. This is fair enough for tournament play, but most of the time I just want to play to have fun. Fighting a team wielding assault rifles and sniper rifles with just pistols and submachine guns is humiliating and boring. If you start losing badly enough it slowly feeds you extra money to help you catch up, but this doesn't even offset the fact that when you lose a round you are (probably) all dead and must all buy new weapons, while the winning team may only have to buy a small top-up of ammo.

Still, if you have perfectly balanced teams, it's great fun. I have had many great games. But I've also had some pretty lousy ones that were a complete waste of my time.

The game also badly needs a map that you can check even if you're not dead, and some indicators to tell you where to go to get to the objectives. Most of the maps require you to have memorised their layout beforehand to have any chance of being a help to your team.
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first played Call Of Duty I thought it was pretty shallow. Then the expansion was released and I discovered the Headquarters gameplay mode. Deployable machine guns, satchel charges, jeeps and tanks were introduced, with objectives to defend and capture there's a much larger selection of tactics to use than Counter-Strike.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
The game also badly needs a map that you can check even if you're not dead, and some indicators to tell you where to go to get to the objectives. Most of the maps require you to have memorised their layout beforehand to have any chance of being a help to your team.

Actually, Most maps have indicators for bombsites, but i dont think hostage maps hav any.

Hamish wrote:
When I first played Call Of Duty I thought it was pretty shallow. Then the expansion was released and I discovered the Headquarters gameplay mode. Deployable machine guns, satchel charges, jeeps and tanks were introduced, with objectives to defend and capture there's a much larger selection of tactics to use than Counter-Strike.
If you like that, then get Tribes 2 From Fileplanet For Free! (Go to the free games section or search for Tribes 2 and get the client.) The best tactical game in the world... with jets! Revmod Is the best mod... but the only one thats played is War2003.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Wolfenstein gets me down it's nice to have a quick go on CounterStrike:Source CSItaly. Best not to try and win, that can be a bit stressfull as there are usually far too many 733t dudes. I've learnt the map off by heart and I love playing the terrorists as they only have to keep the other side away from the hostages, they don't have to be pro-active. I have a number of hideaways I squat down in and then tend to leap out behind unsuspecting opponents and shoot them in the back of the head. Lots of fun.

mwahahahahhaaa
Ripdog

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an evil camper in our midst...

LET'S KILL IT!
Twisted Evil
Rolling Eyes
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite tactic is finding somewhere to hide, and then doing nothing. This means matches can take forever and everyone hates you. Twisted Evil
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripdog wrote:
We have an evil camper in our midst...

LET'S KILL IT!
Twisted Evil
Rolling Eyes

we have a whiner in our midst

lets kill it

rember there is no honor in war
and if you get spawn camped you only have yourself to blame
(start running as soon as you spawn
and run in zig zags when you are in open spaces to avoid snipers)

Last edited by icarus on Sat May 14, 2005 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UT2004 actually has one of the, if not *the* best networking code out, but it is *extremely* cpu/vid-card dependent. The network speed will be directly proportional to your FPS. I played against someone on a lan who was getting about 3 fps (very old comp), he jumped around pretty well, but I've played against someone who has a 128k dsl in florida (I am in NM), and he had a rather powerful computer, never saw a bit of lag at all, not even when I added 40 bots.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get around 40FPS on UT04 and im on 56k. AND i lag. BIIGGG time.

*The* best network code is CS:S in my opinion, i lag much less and when i do lag, it goes away fast. On UT, when i fire, it takes a second for the projectile to appear, meaning its impossible to hit anything. THAT kind of lag SUCKS ****. Evil or Very Mad

On CSS the lag is like shoot them with hi ping, they run a few steps, then take the damage. That lag is fine. Razz

"Its not the lagging, its the way we're lagging." - NZ TV ad - Modified. Smile

Oh, and @ icarus You cant get spawn camped in CS. Get your head screwed on right, or ill start a pro-Spelling and grammer club with Weeble.

And, Whiners are better then campers (Poo Bear) and Useless lumps of **** that no one likes. (Fost im looking at youuuuu!)
Ripdog

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Prev post was getting long so i started a new one)

Poo Bear wrote:
Best not to try and win, that can be a bit stressfull as there are usually far too many 733t dudes.

Isnt it L337 dudes you mean? Stupid adult... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: