FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Intelligent, flame-free, next-gen console topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Pick one  

Nintendo Revolution
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Xbox 360
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Playstation III
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 12  

Author

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Intelligent, flame-free, next-gen console topic Reply with quote

Now that we have had a look at the new consoles what about each peeks your interest? I find Xbox 360's use HDTV to hold some promise but I also like the idea of accessing years of video games via download onto Nintendo Revolution. What are your thoughts?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So an unbiased debate - yet no PSIII in the poll? Shocked

Although my own view on that is that Sony have followed their previous launch tactics of showing lots of pre-rendered footage - so it's not easy to see past the hype to what they might achieve. I think I mentioned before that EYE|Dentity was one game I found truly intriguing - but I've heard it's potentially vaporware.

From purely a developer's point of view - we are pretty interested in the integration of XBox Live Arcade with the XB360 dashboard - if the console does well enough, it could be an alternate SKU for indie developers. From figures we've seen - current XBLive Arcade sales figures are poor, but that could be a problem with Live Arcade's penetration and issues with the setup. From day one with XB360, if users have an internet connection, they can use live arcade.

I really have to hand it to MS - they have to be the most honest of the three about what they are doing. E3 saw only saw in game footage for all Xbox 360 products, whereas Sony were very careful to spin the Killzone video (a shame I thought - because purely as a piece of computer animation it's amazing - and the controversy around it detracted from the hard work they'd put in).

Nintendo's strategy is a little more clouded- their back catalogue of games is certainly a big draw for someone like myself, but I don't think it's going to attract the younger audience (where the money is). I wonder if they are going to open this console up for development by smaller teams like ourselves? There's still a few cards to play here, so we'll have to see.

I am still of the view that PCs rule for my own personal use and gaming, and they will always be ahead of the consoles in terms of processing power - but XBox360 does appear to be moving in the direction of being a multimedia powerhouse, and my eye is on that at the moment. Wish they'd made it smaller though. Very Happy
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, and I know this is bad to say, but I will not get any, and may they rot in the eternal abyss of shame... unless there is a free open source sdk released... WITH DOCUMENTATION!
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PS3?

Not that I'd vote for it anyways: I'm a bit of an Xbox person. Not a fanboy, mind you; I will buy Rev, provided the price is right (it was a mistake never to have played the Zelda series on N64).

And Xbox 360 may not be small small, but it's smaller than Xbox (359?), which is certainly good. (It's about the size of a PS2)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunterXI wrote:
but it's smaller than Xbox

yeah - but that's not saying much Smile Xbox 1 is the size of some Japanese bedrooms - no wonder it did so badly over there.

To be honest I'm happy if it has wireless controllers, the main issue I experience with consoles is if I leave the room for one second, when I come back my wife will have tidied the whole thing away (tidying psychopath that she is). So something that can be shoved out of the way and controlled wirelessly is great.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want a flame free descution and you don't include ps3 Confused

well the 360 looks nice but it smells like the dreamcast
Harabek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa hold on! I don't know why ps3 isn't in the pole, I typed it in.

Quote:
Nintendo's strategy is a little more clouded- their back catalogue of games is certainly a big draw for someone like myself, but I don't think it's going to attract the younger audience (where the money is).

Are you sure? I know a lot of kids my age (17) that will buy the Revolution for this feature. As the original gamers get older, companies should be able to target an older audience.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harabek wrote:

Cool - I've added it in...

Harabek wrote:
Are you sure? I know a lot of kids my age (17) that will buy the Revolution for this feature. As the original gamers get older, companies should be able to target an older audience.

Well, I'm quite often wrong, and times are changing, but I'm still pretty sure that I'm not the core market. Traditionally that's been 8-16 year old boys, who are usually tech obssesed (I was at that age...).

I'd be happy to be wrong, but I don't think last decade's console games will cut it with the online generation.
Harabek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will HDTV support really make a difference in this market? You have to have a special and rather expensive TV which most people do not yet posses. And, will it even make a difference for a video game console?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Harabek wrote:

Cool - I've added it in...

but its still unfair because ps3 entered late
Harabek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly would you like me to do? Can the pole be reset?
HunterXI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
but its still unfair because ps3 entered late

icarus, accept it. None of us like PS3 yet.

Harabek wrote:
What exactly would you like me to do? Can the pole be reset?

It's "poll". And it's fine.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do

and i bet there are lots of people who woulda voted for ps3 anyways

like everyone who complained about there not being a ps3 opiton

you need to start paying atenton
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked the revolution because nintendo is cool (and i'll freely admit that as a teenager; heck, i like pokemon) and also cause it'll be cool downloading all those retro games (i never had an n64 but i'd love to try conker's bad fur day)
InaneAndMatu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a Nintendo 'zealot', So i will definitely get a Revolution.
But i personally hope the XBox360 will reign over the PS3, For i have a unexplainable grudge against sony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: