FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Old game: Total Annihilation
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Taylor was a genius with TA, a RTS above all others. Beyond all things it was a game that could accept my turtling style of gameplay vs. the comp. With defensive cannons that actually held off the enemy unlike many of the other numerous RTS I could build a nearly impenetrable defensive network and build a retalitory army at my leisure. Bertha cannons trained in on units as they entered range of the LR Radar and began the pounding as Annihilator cannons unfurled to deliver death with a very audible thunderclap. If units made it past that the plasma cannons started grinding and if they still persisted the close lasers began to carve the remanents. It was a beautiful site to see the enemy corpses pile up or simply explode as another Annihilator bolt found its mark.

Then came the nukes, Vulcan cannons, various 3rd party units and massed air carpet bombings with planes that actually flew instead of acting like ground units with no terrain limitations. Watching the emg gunships swoop in to spray targets followed closely by a wave of heavy bombers that unloaded with a "tink tink tink" that always brought a smile to my face.

Oh how I wished the units were customizeble... it would have been perfect.
VonBraun

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a copy of TA.
loved the fact units would attack things as they moved by and the fact that things actually accelerated in a measurable distance of seconds.
Great game. pity you couldn't build commanders and the fact the AI built boats on isolated lakes and K-Bots and vehicles on tiny Islands. still great game.
Lag.Com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a very avid player/follower of Total Annihilation, in fact I'm planning some speedruns on the levels right now. Smile All of the points about strategy mentioned so far are true; I had hours of fun playing on Boneyards in the online galaxy before it shut down.
It's a shame the AI for the game was just... so... awful and the AI scripting environment was a real hinderance to any improvement on AI.

I also had great times making new units for the game, and sending them to other players for their comments. It wasn't -too- hard, except for the animation scripting. Any game with the modability of Quake is high up in my book.
bla687

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TA is by far my favorite RTS to date. I must say, however, worry no more about TA 2 falling short of its predecessor. I mean, I suppose there IS still a remote chance it might not be as good, but just look at what they're doing with it! It looks like the TA we all love but taken to a global scale! At least that's the impression this four page article on Supreme Commander gave me.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/supreme-commander/632026p2.html
I just about wet myself when I saw this, and tears of joy ran down my face when I actually started reading it. It looks like it will be an amazing game.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really good to see Chris Taylor back in the genre he helped define,
and it's also good to see they've eschewed the current trend in rts games of only showing unplayable first person like camera views in screenshots.
tensai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing by... thought I'd mention this nifty little engine remake for TA called Spring.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tensai wrote:
Just passing by... thought I'd mention this nifty little engine remake for TA called Spring.

Old news here, we discussed TA spring a while back Wink

but worth mentioning again Smile
01d55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the screenshots - those smaller red units look just like AKs, and the small blue bots being dropped by the transports look just like peewees. There's quite a few details that are so similar to TA, if Infogrames can't claim IP violation, their ownership of the license isn't worth a dime.

Another game that article reminds me of: Masters of Orion III. They also boasted optional micromanagement within a huge scale, with automation to fill in the limits of human attention.

Another thought: the sheer processing power that game must eat up, assuming that the game doesn't simplify the battle when you're not looking.
SuiciderX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta2 is now officially called supreme commanders.

screens here

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/supreme-commander/632026p1.html

i love that big big crab that destroys every little unit that has the unfortunate pleasure of meeting either his laser cannon, or his legs
zwzsg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it so much we couldn't help but remodel it, as a TA and Spring unit.
Degraine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was expecting to see people converting TA units to Supreme Commander, rather than the other way around. Surprising. But very interesting.
BlackLiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of TA: www.tauniverse.com is still going strong. And on their IRC, it is QUITE possible to get a TCP/IP game... although, admitedly, its rare.

And Hey Z, good to see you play this aswell.

And this game is the only 1, other than TA, which I believe I will still be playing in another 8 years time.

Oh, and starscape, of course.

But I have looked at supcom, and am reminded of the TA god joke.

Chris T Christ
Came 8 years ago Came 2000+ years ago
Is back already "Why are we waiting?"
Looks ready to kick *** all the way And still hasn't produced a kick ***
game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: