FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Anyone played Full Spectrum Warrior?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Anyone played Full Spectrum Warrior? Reply with quote

From what I understand, FSW has the squad element down pretty well. I will see if there is a downloadable demo, but alas I can't play it as my desktop is out of commission for the moment...

I suggested this because it may give ideas as how to do squad AI for Battlescape.
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it, played through the first mission, and then quit. Its like a fps where you dont control anyone, you lose if anyone gets killed, and the controls were just bleh. I felt too detached from the game, sure it was super realistic-ish, but it wasnt much fun to just sit there and watch people go where you told them to, and then shoot at what you tell them to shoot at.

This is of course personal opinion, Im sure some people had a blast playing this. In any case its not really pertinent to battlescape becuase its game mechanics are very different.
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a demo. I played the demo, bought the game (amazon.co.uk had it for 3!) and I've played through most of it.

It gets a bit repetitive, sure, but the point I think is to teach you good safe infantry tactics. The basic points are:

1. you can't kill anyone behind cover
2. you can't move across open ground without suppressing the enemy or making cover (smoke grenade)

So you have to put one team in place to distract the enemy whilst you flank them with your other team, or you need to destroy the enemy's cover, or you need to get close enough to throw grenades at them. They mix it up by pitting you against armoured cars and tanks which have silly logic (so they're defeatable).

I agree the control system's a bit awkward. They're fixing it for the sequel, FSW: Ten Hammers, and they're also giving you a more FPS-like snipe mode too: you can make an accurate shot manually to kill the enemy but you have to risk your guy for it.

And the British accents on the SAS guys you rescue are straight out of Jeeves and Wooster.

I do like the suppression fire and flanking, though: they're solid basic tactics to work into an AI. But it depends on the game's dynamics: suppression fire work best if the target really can't afford to take any fire and you need plenty of spare ammo.
Toren Kanesun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was borne of a need to teach US military the tactics they needed wile they sat in front of a console game whenever they had the chance. It was originally on the XBOX, and I have heard it was a superior tactical teacher, though controls are odd. I only mentioned this since Battlescape would have squad-based tactics, and perhaps Poo bear and Goober could get ideas from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: