FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
PS3 bit of a dissapointment?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Still can't wait or starting to get cold feet?  

I don't care I want one now!
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
I'll wait until the price drops
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
I'm waiting to see if any launch titles blow me away.
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 11  

Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: PS3 bit of a dissapointment? Reply with quote

I don't know if this is all fact or not, but some info from E3:

1. like the X360 they are doing 2 versions, one for $500 and one for $600. Very expensive indeed. There are rumours the X360 will get a price cut to coincide too and already its $200 cheaper. Then start buying your $50 games (eek!).

2. Same old dual shock controller we know and love, but no rumble support (legal issues?) and they've ripped off the Wii and stuck in some motion sensor technology although apparently not as advanced as Nintendo's. Tut tut, poor show.

3. Half the demos are still dubious non-realtime affairs, are they just more rendered video? Isn't it getting a bit close to launch?

4. From the demos that are realtime most look no better than current X360 titles (were you really expecting anything more from launch titles?). Major blockbusters like MGS4 do look amazing, but aren't out on launch.

5. The cheap edition wont support HDMI which means blue ray films using hdmi based protection wont work.

6. Both versions ship with a harddrive - WOO! - a good machine for downloading indie games on then Smile

7. Confirmed online system similar to Xbox Live although no game demos yet, seems possibly a last minute addition. Lets hope they have an indie "marketplace" like Microsoft.

Last edited by Poo Bear on Tue May 09, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8. It isn't hardware backwards compatible like the PS2, it is running a software emulator like the X360 does. So you can't really say 100% backwards compatible anymore, it may work with some and not others. Remains to be seen.

Warhawk screenshots - looks nothing like as good as the old video (ho ho), reminds me of crimson skies, now that was a cool game. I'd still buy it though, looks fun.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12402

Last edited by Poo Bear on Tue May 09, 2006 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually know anything about the PS3 development kit, but I am worried that we still don't have the kinds of programming languages we badly need for developing on architectures like the PS3 and beyond. It seems that the future is multi-core, multi-processor, but our programming tools still belong to a past age.

I'm glad the Wii looks to be the cheapest, because it's the only one I actually want and I missed out on the last generation because I never felt I could justify spending the money on it.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGS4, warhawk and heavenly sword look pretty nice.

I'd have thought the same kind of stuff would be possible on 360 though. Of course, with PSIII, perhaps there's going to be a long wait for the really amazing titles like there was with PSII.

Then again, with the rate SPUs keep dropping off the thing, maybe not - is it 6 they are down to now? Still, at the worst, you've got something on a par with a 360, but with bluray support and a guaranteed hard drive...
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance: fall of man - WW2 soldiers fighting aliens (eh?) looks ok.
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12400

Genji2 - looks like dynasty warriors, doesn't seem anything special.
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12398

Heavenly sword - now this looks more like it, possibly a PrinceOfPersia with more enemies on screen, promising.
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12396

Mmmm, MGS4 - very nice, although he does appear to top himself, but surely someone will interrupt him at the last minute?
http://www.gametab.com/news/557653/
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observation - if you buy a X360 core system you are missing out on physically separate odds and ends i.e. you can relatively cheaply buy up to a fully fledged system. Now, with a PS3 the cheap version is missing fairly serious bits of internal hardware i.e. small internal drive cant easily be removed (does it support two?), card reader stuff missing, no hdmi connectivity, wifi missing. So can you still buy some cheap addons later to get back up to the fully featured model??
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I defective? I looked at those screenshots and videos and felt nothing. Resistance: Fall of Man looks like it suffers from Quake Brownness Syndrome. Genji 2 looks confusing and has an over-busy UI that gives me a headache. Heavenly Sword also looks confusing and flashy. The MGS4 video obviously has little to say about the game itself. But the thing that strikes me is that I have no more curiosity about any of these games than I had before I saw the images.

I feel increasingly left behind by the games industry. I'm sure many get to where I am and decide they have grown out of games, but I honestly believe that's not it. I just don't know how to find the games I'm going to care about.
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I can count the number of games that had a significant impact on me in the last 3-4 years on one hand. I don't think I've grown out of games either because I still love them, I can spend 12 hours in a row playing decent multiplayer games with my friends and I still do. I just don't like the direction most games have been going recently.

I think it's because as you get more and more into something your standards are going to get higher and your tastes more picky. The buzz from any recreational activity wears down when you do it alot. As the audience for games is rapidly growing (at least I heard it was) people can get away with making games that hardcore gamers arent going to enjoy because lots of new players are going to like them instead.

When the game industry grows older I think there's going to be more games for players with more refined or different tastes. This is an area indepedant developers like us could get into because you don't need the latest technology to impress this crowd, you just need a good gameplay idea and the means to implement it well. Kind of like indepedant film, maybe.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiplayer does seem to be filling a hole that used to be plugged by single player titles, these days I spot the underlying mechanics too quickly and have little patience for anything that isn't fundamentally and quickly entertaining. The problem is I almost got hooked on WorldOfWarcraft and I'm willing to stand up and admit I do have a Wolfenstien problem Smile. Luckily I'm enjoying Resident Evil 4 enormously so there is still hope, plus i'm playing it really slowly on purpose, hopefully I'll have something else lined up before it ends.
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im finding that most of the single player games out there are simply lacking in the replay value to bother playing through more than once. Such is a weakness of the linear based gameplay i suppose.
MarcC

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going more towards PC gaming now, I don't know why but I for some reason hate playing a game on a TV now. The first games that made an impression on me on PS1 were games like FF7 and MGS and Deus Ex. PS2 comes and I play the sequals and they are Great, but didnt give me the complete satisfaction I wanted from them. Deus Ex Invisible War is the same way. Now, Im not sure if I want to buy a PS3 to play FF13 and MGS4, I hope they are released on PC. Personally I think Storyline and Gameplay go hand in hand, and you can't have one without the other. Maybe Im not in the gaming mind I'm not sure,

Battlefield 2142 looks good, Hope its not just online play. Broadband here is expensive.

But as far as Next Gen consoles go. I thought Advanced Warfighter looked Terrific, I veer much more to PS3 however, so I'll probobly end up buying that.

I have no idea actually what my point is

Cool
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it. I will wait for the price to drop, but that's simply because I don't have the economy to get one straight away. I'm hoping that I'll see more games like Alien Hominid and Vib/ Mojib Ribbon on these future consoles, too. I haven't played Alien Hominid (well, only the newgrounds version) but I just really support the fact that it's out there. It WAS released for the console market. This is good.

But I'm also looking forward to the next Resident Evil, MGS4, etc.

I think replayability is remarkably HIGH lately, at least in the games I've played. I was more than happy to play through all the King Kong levels a second time to get to the "secret" ending, which all in all gave me more than double the playtime without just making it tedious in my mind.

I hope you guys and Puppygames are going to come along with some console ports as well, though. Titan Attacks would be awesome on a console.
Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a big fan of not buying consoles, could be because im an MMO junkie and love being able to just download and play stuff :p

From what i could tell the only real hardware diffrence between the PS3 and he Xbox360 is 50mhz more on the GPU lol.

Me personly, i am looking forward to the Wii, i must say i love the name lol. the name alone roots out immature people and shows them for who they are Razz

Crimson skies was a fun game though......
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I resent being called immature. I expect I'll get used to it eventually, but I can't help feel disappointed with the name. I like that it's short. I like that it's abstract. I just don't like how it sounds and find the we/us puns awkward and tacked-on. I'm sure there must have been a better name waiting out there.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah like Revolution. the first name is often the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: