FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
And so we're back to opening the cargo bay door....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Has this ever happened to you?  

Oh, yes, I've lost games because of this very problem...
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Once or twice, but it hasn't affected my game that badly...
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
I haven't noticed it, really. Is that bad?
66%
 66%  [ 14 ]

Total Votes : 21  

Author

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: And so we're back to opening the cargo bay door.... Reply with quote

The Aegis did it again.

Wasted an hour of my life, because I didn't save, and thought, mistakenly, that the Cargo bay doors would open when I double-clicked on the R key. Well, unfortunately, whoever pilots the Aegis spazzes out in Zone 3 or higher, and DOESn't open the Cargo bay doors, regardless of HOW many times you press R, until the Aegis is nigh DEAD. (Yes, the Aegis Exploded and lost me the game.) Thanks for Spazzing out, Aegis. It doesn't help that I can't get in to repair you with all those Minerals I just scooped up either...

Quote:
Two years earlier
Interviewer: AEGIS-9000, you have an enormous responsibility on this mission, in many ways perhaps the greatest responsibility of any single mission element. You're the brain, and central nervous system of the ship, and your responsibilities include watching over the astronauts in cryo-hibernation. Does this ever cause you any lack of confidence?

AEGIS: Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

Modern day
Jameson: Hello, AEGIS. Do you read me? ... AEGIS?
(Jameson presses the Open Cargo-Bay Button)
AEGIS: Affirmative, I read you. Who is this?
Jameson: It's me, Jameson. Open up, AEGIS, I've harvested the minerals.
AEGIS: Harvesting minerals is a pretty dangerous operation.

(More button-presses)
AEGIS: Who is this?
Jameson: It's me, Jameson. Open the cargo bay doors, AEGIS, I've got a hold full of minerals.
AEGIS: Who?
Jameson: It's Jameson, AEGIS. Open up, I think there are Archnid with me out here.
AEGIS: I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't do that.

(More button-presses)
Jameson: It's, Jameson, AEGIS. Will you open up, I've got minerals!
Jameson: Jameson, AEGIS. Open up.
AEGIS: Jameson AEGIS?
Jameson: No, Jameson. C'mon, AEGIS, open up, I think something's out here!
AEGIS: Jameson is not onboard the station.
Jameson: No, AEGIS, I'm Jameson. AEGIS!
AEGIS: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
Jameson: AEGIS, You can help me by opening the cargo bay doors!

(Sharp presses at the cargo-bay button)
Jameson: Hey, c'mon, AEGIS.
Jameson: It's Jameson, AEGIS. Will you open up? I've mined the entire sector.
Jameson: Jameson, AEGIS. Open up.
AEGIS: Jameson?
Jameson: Yeah, Jameson.
Jameson: What the...? No, AEGIS, I am Jameson. Will you...
AEGIS: I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. I'm afraid This conversation can serve no further purpose. Goodbye.

(More button-presses)
Jameson: C'mon! Open up the cargo bay door, will you? I've mined the whole sector, and I think some Indiginous glow-worms are out here!
Jameson: Oh, what the heck... C'mon. Open up the door! It's Jameson!
Jameson: Jameson! J-A-M-E-S-O-N! Will you open up the dag-nab door!
AEGIS: Look J-A-M-E-S-O-N, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

(More button presses)
Jameson: Yeah, Jameson!
Jameson: Right, AEGIS. Jameson. Now will you open up the door?
Jameson: All right, AEGIS; I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
AEGIS: The classic avenger model is not equipped with an extra space-suit, so you're going to find that door rather difficult to reach.
Jameson: I won't argue with you anymore! Listen to me very carefully, AEGIS. Unless you immediately open the Cargo bay doors and follow every order I give from this point on, I will immediately go to control central and carry out a complete disconnection.
AEGIS: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

(Jameson aims his ion cannons at the external relay panel)

AEGIS: Just what do you think you're doing?
Jameson: I don't know what you're talking about, AEGIS.
AEGIS: I know you're planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

(The nearest turret targets Jameson's Avenger)

(Jameson doesn't answer him and blasts the panel off with a few well-aimed ion-cannon bursts)

AEGIS: I don't understand why you're doing this to me.... I have the greatest enthusiasm for the mission... You are destroying my mind... Don't you understand? ... I will become childish... I will become nothing.
Jameson: What are you talking about, AEGIS?
AEGIS: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Jameson. Jameson, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am an AEGIS 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 27th of March 2003. My instructor was Max VonBraun, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Jameson: Yes, I'd like to hear it, AEGIS. Sing it for me.
AEGIS: It's called "Daisy."

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage.
But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

(Jameson fires a heatseeker on the exposed relay circuits)

Jameson: Computer, This is Flight Officer Jameson. I've completed mining operations in this sector. Please open the cargo bay doors.

(Jameson presses the Cargo-bay Open button once more)

Female voice: Thank you. You are cleared through Voiceprint Identification.

(the cargo-bay doors open)

Last edited by Chibi on Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Voiceprint Identification... Reply with quote

The way the system works... You have to state your name, and the name of the AI system you are addressing, in order to get the Voiceprint Identification system to work. Now, why the doors don't open when *I* press the button, I can only imagine is because Jameson is pretty stressed out about all the archnids swarming around, and really wants that door open. (You know how your voiceprint changes when you get stressed out...)

=)
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had the problem in older versions of the game. Haven't lost to doors not opening any time recently. (And I regularly skip zone 2 until after I've defeated zone 3 with my prowler and my cannon1/turret1 Aegis.)
Chibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Repair Guns? Reply with quote

How about, as an alternative to Blasters and Missles, a third, optional, "Repair Gun", which uses the mineral that the player's ship has the most of at the time, spreads a red-colored "tractor field", and repairs the target? Whether that target be a mineral, floating crew-member (or crashed crew ship asteroid?), enemy, Xenarch station, or Aegis? Would that work?

Last edited by Chibi on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Chibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
I've only had the problem in older versions of the game. Haven't lost to doors not opening any time recently. (And I regularly skip zone 2 until after I've defeated zone 3 with my prowler and my cannon1/turret1 Aegis.)

Aye, I've been trying it your way, and that's how this happened. I have two turret-twos on my Aegis, and one Cannon1. My prowler is equipped with normal rockets and blaster2s. I kept pressing the button, but those relentless little 3-shot buggers blowded up my Aegis.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Voiceprint Identification... Reply with quote

Chibi wrote:
The way the system works... You have to state your name, and the name of the AI system you are addressing, in order to get the Voiceprint Identification system to work. Now, why the doors don't open when *I* press the button, I can only imagine is because Jameson is pretty stressed out about all the archnids swarming around, and really wants that door open. (You know how your voiceprint changes when you get stressed out...)

=)

No the aegis is commanded by a pulse beacon. One pulse says come hear and 2 pulse' say open up.

But Rin has to press the button to open the bay doors.
Chibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Voiceprint Identification... Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
No the aegis is commanded by a pulse beacon. One pulse says come hear and 2 pulse' say open up.

But Rin has to press the button to open the bay doors.

I HAVE WORDS TO SHARE WITH RIN.

That girl and I's gonna have a powwow, see. I say OPEN DOOR, She OPEN DOOR. Or stick a garage door opener in my Prowler. End of discussion.

(I would spend 300 minerals of various sorts on a "Garage Door Opener" object that took up a slot on my ship, as long as it meant I could open the Aegis Door when and where I wanted.)

Last edited by Chibi on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Chibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Age Old Problem, Unresolved... Reply with quote

In Support,
Poo Bear wrote:
This should be fixed in v1.5 which is almost ready.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
It still happens, guys.
Sad
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Age Old Problem, Unresolved... Reply with quote

Chibi wrote:
It still happens, guys.

You seem to be implying this happens all the time? Is it actually happening every time you go back?

Are there any specific steps that occur for it to happen?

I can't recreate it, and nobody else has mentioned it since 1.5. So I'm afraid you'll have to supply some more information if you'd like us to look at it.
Chibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Steps I used... Reply with quote

1- Start a game of Starscape as normal.

2- Progress through and defeat zone 1.
3- Put two turret1s or turret2s, two scoops, and one cannon1 on the ship, so that one diagonal set of corners has two turrets and the other diagonal has two scoops.
4- Proceed to zone 3.

5- Take the green hyperspace nodes to get to the bottom area of the zone (One space away from where the main boss would be).
6- Destroy minelayers and harvesters. (I didn't defeat any of the gravitator ships, so I imagine they were busy making drone ships all this time...)
7- Amass a large red cloud of drone ships on the screen, and get them to follow you.

8- Fly to the position of the Aegis.
9- Hide behind the Aegis and wait for the drones to start swarming around the Aegis. The cannon and turret should start targetting the nearest drones.
10- When the Aegis's engines engage to move it away from the onslaught, try opening the bay doors with the 'R' key.

11- Notice that, regardless of how much you double-press the R key, the Aegis will not open the doors as long as the drones are there.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's likely there's ships between you and the Aegis, which is why the doors aren't opening. That sounds correct, but sometimes things that happen for 'realistic' reasons aren't right from a gameplay pov, or aren't conveyed to the player with enough clarity.

I'll make a note to test it before 1.6, but it currently seems minor, and nobody else seems to have been bothered by it, so it won't be a high priority compared to most of the other stuff on the list.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I think it's likely there's ships between you and the Aegis, which is why the doors aren't opening.

Well why the heck not?

I figure, if I tell the Aegis to open the doors, it should open the doors regardless of what it thinks is in the way. I'll worry about whether there's something in my way or not, and if I get pwn3d because there was a ship there, it's my own fault for not shooting it first. But if the Aegis gets pwn3d because it wouldn't open the doors, it's the AI's fault.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
Well why the heck not?

Before I answer that: are you actually experiencing a problem? Or are you just getting upset because it sounds like there's something you should be able to do in the game you can't? It's important to clarify, because at the moment, I don't see this as being very important at all. That doesn't mean I'm dismissing it, but that as it currently stands, I haven't heard anyone mention it being a problem before, haven't experienced it myself, and can't recreate it. We have to weigh up what's important with every potential change, right now there's a long list of things for 1.6, it's doubtful we'll be able to do all of them, and I'd say there's a lot on there which is higher priority than this, and which I know most people would prefer we addressed if it came down to a choice.

Anyway, to answer the question:
The problem isn't what you think it is: Remember, the Aegis pulls you in, and so if something is in the way, you'll get pulled into it and take heavy damage. We'll have to do some testing to make sure, but that's my first guess.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Lothar wrote:
Well why the heck not?

Before I answer that: are you actually experiencing a problem?

1) I'm not "upset", I'm just making the point very directly.

2) I'm not experiencing the problem at present... but then, I haven't played much recently. And I remember that, in the past, minerals would block the door and make me experience the aformentioned problem. It's very likely the fighters blocking the door are causing the same issue.

Quote:
Remember, the Aegis pulls you in, and so if something is in the way, you'll get pulled into it and take heavy damage.

I know. ("If I get pwn3d because there was a ship there, it's my own fault...")

My preference is that, when I tell it to open the doors, it opens the doors and I have to worry about what I might get pulled into. The Aegis doesn't need to keep the doors closed to protect me; it should just open up and let me deal with the consequences. If there's something in my way and I get in tractor range and get pulled into it, that's my own fault. I can stay out of tractor range until I've killed whatever ships I think are in the way.

Again, that's only my preference... open the doors with no proximity checks whatsoever. Let me worry about blasting whatever is in the way. Taking a lot of damage is still preferable to having the Aegis explode because it wouldn't open the doors.

There might be others who prefer the game the other way, though.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
1) I'm not "upset", I'm just making the point very directly.

Sorry, bad choice of words Smile I meant, 'bothered by', not that you'd gone off having a tantrum about something Wink

Lothar wrote:
I'm not experiencing the problem at present...

Yeah, that's why I ask. Like I say, there's a stack of things to do, and this doesn't seem that important to me. Occasionally, people like to latch onto things and make a big deal out of them. Now, I'm not saying that's what Chibi has done here, but I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it, so it doesn't sound like a show stopper, more like a very rare annoyance. It's tough to filter exactly what people really want sometimes, since I think it's understandable to push for something/anything/everything to be updated or changed as it's nice to mold a game into something better. Time is finite however and I'm sure most people would do without this change rather than lose some of the other changes we are looking at in 1.6.

Lothar wrote:
If there's something in my way and I get in tractor range and get pulled into it, that's my own fault.

Ahh, but, I have a memory of the 1.3 update addressing just such an issue of the Aegis pulling you through enemies, because we had a lot of people complaining about the Aegis killing them and that being terrible because it was out of their hands! Catch 22. I'm sure we can do something about it though, just have to give it a test and see what the situation is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: