FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
War Pong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  How good is War Pong?  

It's super!
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
It's a good distraction.
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
It's alright, but you know...
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Could be better.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
It's bad, but it could be worse.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
This sucks! Why did you make me waste my time on it?
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 11  

Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the next version I've been working on a new skin called Graffiti, and if you have a look at the picture you'll see why...

While testing that I also found a new bug that will be fixed in the next version. I'm also working on superweapons (if you're way behind in either size or points then you get one - it does a lot of damage).
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded that update. You can get it from the usual place http://warpong.sourceforge.net . It includes both the old and new themes, since the new one only adds about 140k to the download size. It also includes the performance increase code (and a little bit more, but that doesn't make much difference). For the next version I'm planning on including random powerups and a new theme (neon). I'll probably have to change the installer to give you an option of what themes to install to seem nice, even though they only take 2-4mb of disk space each.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey kon!
beautyful :]

Say, 2 images for left and right? Can't you just flip the paddle graphics?
And there is a minimum size for the paddle, right? what about offering graphics for the 2 ends of the paddle, so you could make it round or whatever you like.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewerybody wrote:
hey kon!
beautyful :]

Say, 2 images for left and right? Can't you just flip the paddle graphics?
And there is a minimum size for the paddle, right? what about offering graphics for the 2 ends of the paddle, so you could make it round or whatever you like.
There are two seperate paddle graphics, and they are flipped - they're just not radically different in the first place. End caps are a good idea (and they probably wouldn't be too hard to implement) but its more graphics to create - urrgh!! (Sorry Fost, but I'm just not an artist) At the very least for the next version I might include the capability for them and leave it up to anyone who wants to for creating them.

And speaking of the neon theme, does anyone know how to make good neon effects in photoshop? I'm a little stuck.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see how many people have downloaded the game since I posted that update - four. Smile At least it beats 0 in the 4 days before then.

I found two small bugs that slipped through cracks (alright, I was lazy...). The super shot doesn't look right on the graffiti skin (because the end of the bar is the colour that is made transparent) and the AI doesn't have any code for firing super shots (so it won't). Oh well, they're added to the to do list for the next version.

If you want to fix the Graffiti super shots now, then download http://warpong.sourceforge.net/superbar.bmp and replace the existing one in your graffiti folder with that one.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could make some skinning if you like.
Photoshop is my friend. :]
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewerybody wrote:
I could make some skinning if you like.
Photoshop is my friend. :]
That would be great. There's a link to email me here if you want to stop wasting space on the board. Also, do you know how to create a neon outline effect? I'm guessing some kind of brush/filter combination but I have no idea what.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got mail?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty good, but I was more thinking something like: [img]http://warpong.sourceforge.net/quit.bmp[/img] . Do you know any easy way to do something like that?

Edit: anyone know why its not turning that bbcode into image?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because it's a bitmap. I think PNGs, GIFs and JPEGs are the only standard image formats for the web. Of course, it should be the MIME-type that matters, not the extension, but I think PHPBB is weird like that. I remember having problems with PNGs on an image-hosting site that gave them URLs with no extension. The MIME-type was fine, but PHPBB refused to believe that an extensionless URL might refer to a picture.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when it was started, I think they explicitly filtered out bmps because they were likely to slow down forum reading for anyone on dialup.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. There's really no good reason to use BMPs on the Internet. In fact, there are very few places they're useful at all. Windows still gives BMPs special treatment as wallpaper. You see weird behaviour if you set a PNG or JPG as your desktop wallpaper because Windows just creates a desktop size browser view to show the image, and you can sometimes notice your old BMP wallpaper appearing briefly before the new one overlays it. I suppose in principle they're faster to load, but I'm not sure PNG decompression is ever going to be a significant part of the loading time.
ewerybody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok: Photoshop lessons 001: creating simple outline

BTW: What ps version do you have? That might not work at PS 5.. I don't know anymore.. ;] With layer styles its easy:
    * On your layer where you want an outline applyed press RMB > Blending Options ... (or doubleclick the layer behind the name)
    * select Stroke frome the left list (at the very bottom)
    * make your settings (for the effect shown in the bmp: turn size to 1 and change color to green)
    * press OK

without layer styles its a little more work but not impossible (but nondynamic)
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a way to make it GLOW, though...

Draw your shape in a new layer.

Click the effects button at the bottom of the layer tab. Make a small outward AND inward glow of the same colour, then make an outline (border), one or two pixels thick, that's centered. Make the border a much much brighter version of the colour you used for the glow. Make it almost completely white.

If you now change the FILL of the layer (in the layers tab) to 0%, the actual content of the layer will be transparent, but not the effects. Hey presto!

Everything you now draw inside this layer will now be outlined with a faint glow, like neon. Is it not nifty?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Magnalus (sorry ewerybody but your advice wasn't what I used). I created this: . Obviously its one of the menu graphics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: