FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
WMD
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that my frend is what difaclty leavels are for

now lets get back to the main topick
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Nukes definitely (sounds bizarre saying that), only problem is you have to limit there use or it gets silly I suppose.

Well, there's silly and there's silly. Nothing was finer in TA than building 6 nuke silos and sending a scout over the enemy base so you can accurately target those missiles and volley fire. In normal gameplay, nobody will have the time to build up that sort of force. Against the AI, it's all just part of the fun. If you do deformable terrain, so much the better! I'm in favor of big explosions and glittery glowy particle effects. Part of what made Starscape so appealing was how beautiful it looked in action. You should keep that aspect.
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I'm starting to think there are two types of players:

a) people who like a good realistic battle, they want the AI just right and real things like morale implemented. Large selections of well balanced units that expose many different tactical options on the battlefield and hours of strategic options to play with when building and customizing an army.

b) people who want a little of everything from (a) just enough so the game holds together and makes sense but still keeping everything simple so it is quick to get into. Then what they really want is the spectacle, the smoke, the explosions, the grinding of metal. The visceral pleasure of watching hundreds of loyal troops under your command clash headlong into some evil opponent and annihilate them. Nuclear weapons, orbital lasers, air strikes, titanic robots striding through the carnage, trees burning, giant craters, wrecked vehicles, heroic figures, grenades exploding, bodies flying. This is what they really want.

I think I'm a (b) type person too.

You are correct and no one game can satisfy both camps.

For Moonpod, I'd vote B. Starscape's virutes lay in simple but fun play mechanics and pretty graphics. Everything you built on top of that was simply to keep the base gameplay from getting boring on into the 50th hour.

The danger with throwing too many details into a game is that you end up with something comprehensive and totally boring to play. Worst example, Afterlife. It took a humor concept for a game, an Afterlife sim city, and added so many details that it felt more like accounting than gameplay.
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunbar wrote:

In the end, though, games against computer opponents get old. You can learn how the computer plays and how to beat it. The real challenge in RTS games is always against human opponents, so the most important thing to me is a functional multiplayer mode and a way to find people to play on-line. I'm not sure how feasible that is for the Moonpod team to implement, however....

Rushing sucks. The best counter to that is providing a very strong initial base. Age of Kings did that where your peasants could go inside buildings and shoot arrows at attackers. Made an early stage rush just about impossible to pull off. By the time you had a force capable of taking out the peasants with arrows, your enemy had more defenses capable of countering your force Smile
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah that was a good feature but aok was to hard and to hard in a rts makes you want to stop playing unlike outher tipes of games whare it make you want to keep playing
Tryagain Infinity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a repulsar superweapon?
Fire it at a group of tanks and they go tumbeling across the battlefield!
(causes some damage but they can get back up)
Twisted Evil
That would be a good cure for tank rushes and delay the enemy so you can beef up your defence.
01d55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp a) makes better multiplayer.

Camp b) makes better single player.

See Warcraft and Total Annhilation. People loved Warcraft and its sequels for the competitive play online, TA for blowing the hell out of the AI.

The best part of TA was the vs. Krogoth bonus mission in the xpac; building a base capable of fending off big K before those monstrosities arrived, all while hounded by lesser units was tons of fun .
Hint Spoiler (highlight to read):
close off ground access to your base with those little buildable spikes. The AI won't demolish them to go through.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the new "Supreme Commander" being made by the maker of TA, looks 'perfect'. Very Happy
SuiciderX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/supreme-commander/632026p1.html

this is supreme commander. unofficial handled as sequel to total annihilation (or better prequel, as start of the ai wars)

i love the big crab.
BlackLiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, when it comes to AI work, I must poke you people to look at TAspring (http://taspring.clan-sy.com) and more paticuarly the work of Alantai Firestar
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I think we should add to the board faq that we know about TA spring and Supreme Commander! Seems like someone turns up every few weeks to tell us!

Not that I mind being reminded about them Wink
BlackLiger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already know you know about it, I just figured you may not know the latest on the "AOW AI" (art of war AI) (I do, I track it all for alantai when I have the time Very Happy)
MrPete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my good friend have been working on a Table Top space combat game for a while now, based around heavily customisable lego ships.

After playing with lots of advanced things and crazy things, we've found it best to keep everything workable and simple, with low damages & health, easy to understand ranges / special effects, but offer THOUSANDS of possibilities through weapon types, simple mods, engine power & battlefield obstacles.

Simply put, i think the best way to go about this kidna thing is to keep it all fairly simple, but build up the scale & complexity of situations..

If that makes sense Very Happy

EDIT: Good example is actually mr robot. Same simple controls all the way through, puzzle/situational difficulty increases as you go!
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically like all the Blizzard games, no? ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: