FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
ZonaRosa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: ZonaRosa

Mr. Robot User Adventure: ZonaRosaZonaRosa

Asimov goes pink! Puzzles for beginners. By Kos-mos.

CURRENT VERSION: 0.1
KOS-MOS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 simple rooms. Thoughts appreciated!
SethP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick thoughts:

First of all, I like it. It's a nice collection of puzzles with ramping difficulty. Some of the puzzles are a bit easy, but since that's the point of the adventure I give it a thumbs up.

Only "bug" I noticed was an odd gap between some of the rooms on the map.

Also, though not strictly necessary, waypoints might be a good idea. It's not too hard to finish the adventure in one sitting, but it would be nice to not have to start over from the beginning if one does have to quit the game.
KOS-MOS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I made them for my sisters who are not very experienced with games.

The rooms that are not right on the map I think are the bonus rooms at the end. I copied the backdrop into them to do that. Maybe I should delete it just for the bonus rooms so everything lines up correctly?

I have not tried using waypoints. I guess you just drop one in using the editor and it works? How many should I have? One every room? a halfway point?

I will upload an update when I have time. I am going to work on another ten rooms when I have the time to extend it further. I really love playing with the lighting most! Smile
SethP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what I meant was the disconnect between the rooms on the map, not sure how you'd get around that though.

I can't really help you with how to do the waypoints, I haven't played with them yet myself. What I was thinking about in terms of placement, though, was putting them in a hallway between every 2nd or 3rd room or so.

Great job on the lighting, keep up the good work!

edit -- I just discovered another bug. Apparently if you walk up to a blue door with 2 blue security cards, the door takes 'em both. I think that's getting fixed in the next update, but before then you might want to try making the security doors different colors so players can actually get to the secret area Smile
Sergenth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked these rooms for being hard enough that I didn't need to overheat my brain, yet not so easy that every step was immediately apparent instantly after completion of the preceding step. I liked the 2 variations of the same puzzle theme in two of the rooms (the rooms where you need to choose which crate to push first).

The Rosa theme/tinting and ductwork objects create a good atmosphere.

Defintitely add 2 or 3 waypoints and change a blue key and door into a red key and door. I don't mind the non-backtrackability otherwise.
punman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job!

Waypoints are easy. Just put them in and they work!

Some of the puzzles can be solved pretty quickly if you just push blocks halfway.. Its hard to express what I mean here.

in Rosa okto you dont have to push any blocks at all to get to the next room.
I have a feeling Rosa exi may be the same way if you're a really good jumper.
SethP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punman wrote:
in Rosa okto you dont have to push any blocks at all to get to the next room.
I have a feeling Rosa exi may be the same way if you're a really good jumper.

While this is true, I don't really see it as a problem. If anything, it makes the maps better -- multiple possible solutions makes the maps easier. As long as you can figure out one solution, that's all you need.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Some minor cosmetic issues:
  • The camera is very zoomed out in the first room. Does it have very large dimensions relative to its visible size?
  • In both ROSA PENTE and ROSA EPTA I observed slight cracking between the tiles at the left of their north walls. This sometimes happens when you have similar but different tiles next to each other, or identical tiles with different orientations. (O how I hate the basic floor with the X pattern on it for this. It's not quite symmetrical in any of its orientations. It's really frustrating when you realise half of your room uses it one way and half the other and you're trying to match them up.)
  • Those reverse-facing vent grilles have strange Z-issues, meaning that they tend to become obscured by things that are actually behind them. I think it's because of the complexities of rendering transparent stuff. I'm not sure if there's anything better to use in the circumstances, though. I had similar problems making my adventure.
  • This is incredibly minor, but your END rooms don't quite line up on the map, so when they're overlayed you can't read the "END" on the map so well.

Some of the early rooms, while being very easy, are also easy to get into a state where you're forced to reset the room. I don't mind this so much in hard puzzles (where it's pretty much unavoidable), but I would prefer not to see it in the easy rooms.

Anyway, apart from all that, very nice! I like the difficulty progression. Good job.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
The camera is very zoomed out in the first room. Does it have very large dimensions relative to its visible size?

This is actually our fault - based on room ID number, some rooms currently have their camera tweaked in the main game - at some point we'll make sure this is ignored for user adventures.

Re: vent grilles - also somehting I've made a note of myself - to improve the texture cutoff at some point. Although this is made worse by the camera zoom issue above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: