FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
...and I'm a Mac...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: ...and I'm a Mac... Reply with quote

Any way to play your lovely PC games using a Mac?

Downloaded the demo. It didn't work Sad Tried Parallels (An old version, 3.0 probably), a program that lets you have a virtual PC on your Mac, and the download worked, a screen that asked about resolution etc came up, but having filled in that, the screen just disappeared, without starting up the game. So, anyone who can get it to work? Neutral
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual boot. All the cool mac users are doing it.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be no. There's no GL option so with the renderer and the shaders are all written in HLSL so it wouldn't even be a suitable candidate for conversion like Starscape might be.

Sorry!
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:

Get a PC. All the worthwhile people are doing it.

(Sorry, my hatred of all products by crapple knows no bounds).
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're replying to icarus and not the original poster, but I would like to make it clear that if somebody comes asking politely whether some piece of software works or can be made to work on their operating system, it's just not on to berate them for their choice of operating system. Maybe if they're belligerent ("Why are you so lazy not making it work on Mac?!?") it might be warranted, but not otherwise.

Then again, maybe I'm just sensitive because I've gone to live in Linux-land.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
I know you're replying to icarus and not the original poster, but I would like to make it clear that if somebody comes asking politely whether some piece of software works or can be made to work on their operating system, it's just not on to berate them for their choice of operating system. Maybe if they're belligerent ("Why are you so lazy not making it work on Mac?!?") it might be warranted, but not otherwise.

Then again, maybe I'm just sensitive because I've gone to live in Linux-land.

I know, it's a bad habit of mine. Sorry to anyone who feels offended.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:

Yeah agreed. Always been sad that we didn't have time to do conversions for Mac and even Linux. Not really even a sales thing - just somehting we wanted to do from the start but failed to achieve.
SethP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Yeah agreed. Always been sad that we didn't have time to do conversions for Mac and even Linux. Not really even a sales thing - just somehting we wanted to do from the start but failed to achieve.

I'm sure I have no idea what I'm talking about, but have you looked into Greenhouse (the Penny Arcade game store thing)? I know they did a fantastic job of porting Braid to Mac, and Starscape and Mr. Robot are definitely of the caliber of game that I've found on www.playgreenhouse.com .
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
icarus wrote:

Get a PC. All the worthwhile people are doing it.

(Sorry, my hatred of all products by crapple knows no bounds).

I probably hate Apple more than you but I'm trying to be helpful.

DAM! I thought I was the troll?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an iphone! I think it would be fun to develop something for it - I'm not bothered about the phone (it's great, but 370 is too much) but the game download system is spot on and this is the first phone to deliver on the promise of mobile phone gaming imo.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I want an iphone! I think it would be fun to develop something for it - I'm not bothered about the phone (it's great, but 370 is too much) but the game download system is spot on and this is the first phone to deliver on the promise of mobile phone gaming imo.

Develop something for the android instead.

I could beta test it.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethP wrote:
talking about, but have you looked into Greenhouse (the Penny Arcade game store thing)? I know they did a fantastic job of porting Braid to Mac

Everything takes time - is the problem. even showing someone else round code and preparing it for them. We don't have any time - none, zero...

Sadly...
Johnh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only chances of being able to play MrRobot on a Mac:

1) It gets ported to Mac OS X (unlikely)
2) Dual boot to Windows (costs money, unless you grab the Windows 7 RC for free - linkage. Please note that the Windows 7 RC is not a permanent operating system and will be essentially disabled March 1,2010.)
3) Use an emulator (which also requires you to buy windows or participate in the RC)
4) Use a compatibility layer such as WINE, cedega or crossover.

WINE lists MrRobot as having a "Garbage" rating (meaning that the game is unplayable using WINE). There is one user who was able to get it to run, but said that it was "not yet enjoyable".
KreeTheBasilisk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is just because of the time difference since the original post, but I've played the Steam version of Mr. Robot from start to finish on my MacBook Pro.

I launched it from Crossover Games. It's the paid version of wine so you could try your luck with the free wine. From what I could tell there weren't any hiccups. There was a slight glitch with the ghost hack menu when I was rescuing Brutus, but I think that was an engine glitch rather than a wine glitch. Other than that, it works fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: