FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
ipad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: ipad Reply with quote

Basically an A4 sized ipod touch, $500 for the min spec wifi version.

HD screen, 0.5inch thick, 10hour battery (that you probably cannot replace), read email, watch movies, listen to music, buy stuff at itunes, run all the iphone apps (or wait for most to get tweaked for 1024x768).

Still a question mark hanging over flash, but it will run all those iphone games.

Should be easier to port games over, because of the higher res screen. As with all Apple stuff it seems great, but I don't have that kind of cash spare. Apple seem to be on the rise though, if it takes off like the iphone then porting games over will be a must.

I wish Microsoft would wake up (porting to a windows7 tablet should be super easy). Microsoft have been talking up tablets since 2000, but they only make the OS whereas Apple go and make the hardware and infrastructure (itunes) to deliver the whole package. The tablets that came out for Windows were even more expensive than the ipad and looked clunky.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was as reliable as the 360, I don't think I'd want a Microsoft tablet. As for the iPad, it seems stupid to me that something with a screen several times larger than the iPhone/iPod Touch runs the same OS - that means your missing out on things like multitasking (and as far as I'm aware, there are no plans for Flash on the thing).

As for backwards compatibility with existing software/games - I'd like to see how well things designed for a 320x480 screen scale to a 1024x768 one (my guess: not great). And I can't imagine that any games requiring the use of the acceloremeter would play that well on something weighing one and a half pounds.

My guess is that like most Apple products, people will flock to it because they can - this is just for another generation of iSheep.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard about this I thought it was going to be a touchscreen iMac, instead we get a giant iPhone.
That's really disapointing because a touchscreen was one of the few things that could make OSXs interface bearable.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
When I first heard about this I thought it was going to be a touchscreen iMac, instead we get a giant iPhone.
Apple don't make what people want. They make people want what they make.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
icarus wrote:

True.

If apple made a car, it would only have an accelerator. They would spend all they money they saved by removing the breaks on add campaigns to convince the consumer that slowing down is a bad thing.

(By the way I quoted you on twitter.)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
Konedima wrote:
icarus wrote:

True.

If apple made a car, it would only have an accelerator. They would spend all they money they saved by removing the breaks on add campaigns to convince the consumer that slowing down is a bad thing.

(By the way I quoted you on twitter.)
iCar - The body is made of shiny white plastic, the seats are too small to be comfortable, none of the controls are where they are on other cars, you have to buy Apple branded tires, anything in the engine goes wrong and you have to mail it to Apple for three weeks, and the fuel tank can't be refilled by the driver.

But before the week is out, everyone will have one.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone create a platform that is open (i.e. anyone can make anything for windows, both hardware and software) yet offer the same level of usability, the same complete experience? I think not sadly. I hate closed platforms, but you cannot deny the Apple experience is super slick i.e. buy iphone, switch on, sign up to itunes, peruse one catalogue of apps/books/games/music, click, download, enjoy, done.

There is one really convincing factor in ipad's favour. It's an e-reader that can handle colour documents, display at a decent size/res and offer reasonable keyboard entry. That's definitely missing from current e-readers. I wonder if will only accept books from itunes, knowing Apple it will Sad
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Can someone create a platform that is open (i.e. anyone can make anything for windows, both hardware and software) yet offer the same level of usability, the same complete experience? I think not sadly. I hate closed platforms, but you cannot deny the Apple experience is super slick i.e. buy iphone, switch on, sign up to itunes, peruse one catalogue of apps/books/games/music, click, download, enjoy, done.

There is one really convincing factor in ipad's favour. It's an e-reader that can handle colour documents, display at a decent size/res and offer reasonable keyboard entry. That's definitely missing from current e-readers. I wonder if will only accept books from itunes, knowing Apple it will Sad
It might just be because I despise the things with every fibre of my being, but when I've been forced to use them (when will educational institutions learn?!?!?), I've always found doing stuff on Windows more simple than on a Mac. There always seems to be shortcuts to doing things on a PC, but for most things on a Mac, it's Apple's way or the highway.

I'm also not a fan of iTunes. "Buy" a song, congratulations, you can play it in iTunes or an iPod. Buy a CD, rip it to your computer, play it in whatever you want, stream it to networked devices, put it on whatever portable devices you want. Okay it may be better now for music since they took out most of the DRM, but there's still DRM on everything else in iTunes, and I'm presuming this extends to books (not that you're likely to want to use them on something other than an other e-reader, but I prefer to keep my options open).

As for the iPad's ability to read books - it seems kind of awkward. The screen's aspect ratio is entirely wrong - most if not all dedicated e-readers have a form significantly closer to that of a book, whereas the size, shape and weight of the iPad just make it seem awkward. Colour isn't really that important (to me anyway) - most books tend to be black and white. Keyboard entry might not be so bad (has to be better than the iPhone, given the significantly larger size) - but you're not likely to do much of that while reading.

Finally, for restricting it to iTunes only books - there are already some e-reader applications on the iPhone which it is going to be pretty hard to keep off the iPad (and you can be assured that if Apple tries someone is going to raise a big fuss about it), and there's every chance it'll be hacked into running third-party programs within a week (or considering its resemblance to an iPod Touch/iPhone, a day) - then there's nothing you can do to keep unauthorised things out.

My conclusions: quite possibly a jack of all trades, master of none. I'd be surprised if it replaced other devices capable of doing the things it can (well, it might end up having the biggest e-reader install base, but that's because not many people buy e-readers and not many people will buy this thing just as an e-reader).

My succinct conclusion (AKA something I've wanted to say for quite a while): F%$k Apple.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:

The new EeePc costs as much as an iPad and has a multitouch touch screen.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220661&cm_re=asus_eee-_-34-220-661-_-Product

I think I'm gonna try getting one as it's only $500 usd.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's going to have a few great games that I'm a bit sad I'm never going to play. I just can't get over the fact that it's not open. I can deal with games consoles being closed platforms, though I dislike it. I can deal with phones being closed platforms, though I dislike it. But here's something that is for all intents and purposes a general purpose computer, that's crying out for experimentation, but it's locked down like a phone and if you want to make or share anything cool with it you can only do so via Apple's channels. That's enough to put me off, which is a shame, because it looks like a fun piece of hardware.

I'm not sure about its prospects as an e-book reader. The battery life may be impressive in comparison to laptops, but it sounds mediocre in comparison to phones and dismal in comparison to e-book readers.

I think the most exciting thing about it could be games and activities for small groups. I imagine the fact that it's so portable could make for some interesting play: you could have it sitting flat between the players with them using multi-touch, then it could tell player 1 to pick it up and they get to do something secret before passing it to player 2. Take a party game like the one where people write a story one line at a time without seeing the rest of the story, or a game of secret information like Mafia, then think of what you could do with a lightweight non-clunky computer helping out.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could streamline D&D, you have all the instruction manuals and bestiaries on the server, plus adventure notes maps and so forth. Everyone sitting around the table has an ipad and the DM and players can pass around secret messages, etc.

I'm guess it probably won't inter-operate well with a windows server though Wink

So, just $500 for everyone playing Smile

I had assumed it had an Intel or AMD chip in it, but NO!! Apple bought some small scale cpu development house and made their very own \"system on one chip\" ic called the A4. A bold move.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10442684-64.html
Chrisj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:

I had assumed it had an Intel or AMD chip in it, but NO!! Apple bought some small scale cpu development house and made their very own \"system on one chip\" ic called the A4. A bold move.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10442684-64.html

It's an ARM core with a well-specified pre-existing graphics core and I/O arrangement bolted on, so it isn't that bold. It also makes it conveniently close in internals to the stuff that powers the iphone, thus minimising the amount of emulation needed to allow it to run existing app-store stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: