FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
computer games
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: computer games Reply with quote

What computer games require high end computers? Basically, what computer games out there basically Require like a super decked out computer to be played? Curious because im getting an alienware computer and don't want to spend the awesome power for gaming on the computer only playing WoW. So what list of games out there is High-end cpu's basically meant for? Thnx in advance.

Last edited by chafila on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not as much in the loop as I used to be, I mainly play indie games these days, but I am playing Dragon Age at the minute I suppose.

It used to be the case that you needed top end gear to play the latest games, but these days if you are paying ~$500 - $750 for a PC then you'll probably have a high speed multi-core cpu and a decent graphics card. So you'll be able to play anything.

I think big cpu power is only needed when you try to use a high spec graphics card to run games using anti-aliasing, DX11 and high resolution (1920x1080 widescreen). So I think all games work on average priced equipment, it's only when you want to push it that you need high spec gear. The visual difference between a high spec graphics card and an average one is shrinking.

Others with more experience of current games may now tell me I'm wrong Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, if you don't even know what games need the power, you don't need the power, so you probably don't need to spend the money to get it.

That being said, if you still need some suggestions:
    Mafia II looks quite nice and doesn't work your graphics card too hard for it.
    Dirt 2... well, put it this way... sometimes it might take me a little while to tell the difference between a screenshot from the game and a photo. It's also one of the few games which support DirectX 11. The same probably goes for F1 2010 (uses the same engine), but I haven't played it.
    Batman: Arkham Asylum looks damn pretty (both technologically and artistically) and it's a damn fine game to boot. Seriously, if you haven't played it, play it now. Go, buy it, install it, finish it, then finish reading the list. I won't be offended.
    Shattered Horizon is probably a bit too far on the wrong side of the tech demo or game line, and while I have it, I don't play it much, because there's barely any dedicated servers for it in Australia (still more than The Ship, which while being a fun game, isn't graphically demanding and can get a little convoluted sometimes).
    Starcraft 2 looks good, but it's not about to set any records for high details or high system requirements.
Aaaaand... that's about all I can think of that came out recently (it's been fairly slim pickings for big profile PC games) If you're willing to go back a bit...
    Crysis (the original) has tons of effects and isn't particularly optimised. Warhead runs a bit better for the same detail.
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a pretty poor port of the 360 version, runs like a dog and doesn't look particularly pretty for it (still, if you can actually get it running at max settings, I tip my hat to you).
    Just Cause 2... only played a demo... didn't pay too much attention to the graphics, but it's a great example of how blowing **** up can look.
    I could suggest Assassin's Creed 2, but I'm not that mean.
That's hardly a comprehensive list, but it's a good start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: