FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Steam allowing better integration with other systems?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Steam allowing better integration with other systems? Reply with quote

I got an email today saying that I can now activate my Humble Indie Bundle (bought straight from their website) on Steam. Have Valve opened things up a bit for developers, or is this only for that deal? I know you have had a bit of a problem with Steam and non-Steam customers being different classes of citizens and having to do some manual work to let Steam customers get at the level editor, could this make things any easier? (Although I guess the main problem is the other direction for you: getting Steam customers made visible to your own systems, not getting your customers made visible to Steam.)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems a new and surprising shift, they hand out keys for devs to give to beta testers and press and special events. So I don't think this is common practice, it would be great because people could sell their games direct keep all the money and still let people use Steam if they wanted. Obviously Steam wouldn't be quite so impressed with that idea Smile

So it could be a special deal as its a charity thing or it could even be the dev handing out press/test keys when he shouldn't (naughty), but I'm sure they've just got special permission.

I've asked around and the other devs I know are surprised too.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering giving my key to a friend - I already have World of Goo and Gish in Steam.

(Anyone who requests my key will quickly go on the list of people it isn't going to.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: