FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Damn you Valve. Damn you all to hell.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying Valve games: the sad realisation that whenever you buy it, it'll probably be on sale in Steam inside of a month.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the strange retail screw over that means it's cheaper to walk to the supermarket, buy it in a box, come home, enter a code and let Steam install it.
Rup

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portal 2's not on sale already is it?

I've only played the single-player so far and it's very good. It doesn't have quite the magic of the original. The new testing elements work well; my only complaints are that there were a few sections where I couldn't see where I was supposed to go, and that the final battle is too easy. There's two ending songs, neither as catchy as 'Still Alive' but they're still good.

I wasn't sure about Stephen Merchant, especially as he's just doing Stephen Merchant, but it grew on me and it works better towards the end. And now it's the other way around: when I hear him on the Barclays ad on TV I think of lines from Portal Smile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on sale, but bricks and mortar retail hates online with a vengeance and some of the other portals are even bigger than Steam so they can dictate terms. So it's 29.99 from Steam direct. Buy it from Amazon or Play and it's 26.99 - eh? Asda for 27.97 - huh?

That's the power of a portal (sorry Smile ) to control price - think how much those places must shift such that Steam have gone along with being undercut. Although, Steam are secretly laughing, because even if you buy it from Asda you still have to install the Steam client so they can sell you the next one direct.

It's interesting that Steam's price is only being undercut a little, that indicates how much power Steam has to fight back. I suspect the shops and online portals _might_ be what it holding the price that high too. Maybe in a few years Portal4 will be $19.99 from Steam and $29.99 everywhere else Wink It would make sense, buying direct you cannot trade in later, but from a shop you can, so in theory the direct price should come down and the shop price should be a bit higher.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes other digital download sites undercut Steam - I have a good example. Metro 2033 was on sale a couple of weeks ago, but thanks to regional pricing in Steam, it was about twice as expensive here as anywhere else.

But with a little digging, I find that it was on sale on Gamersgate for half the asking price on Steam (in other countries, not our inflated price). So I bought it there.

The really fun part... Metro 2033 uses Steamworks. So what I got from Gamersgate was a Steam key, just enter it in Steam, and it's just like having bought it through Steam. Except greedy Valve (okay, so the publishers make them do it, but they don't have to make it so easy for them) gets nothing. Laughing
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's true, I've noticed Gamersgate and Impulse have twigged that its the sales that are key. They're still a bit slow on the uptake though, impulse have just started doing a regular weekend sale, they should have been doing that for years!
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true. There's a lot - A LOT (just look at my games list) of games that I bought on special that I wouldn't have thought about at full price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: