FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Cars 2 - Pixar's first turkey?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Cars 2 - Pixar's first turkey? Reply with quote

Well, it has to happen sooner or later, you cannot make every movie release fantastic. Even Ghibli stumbled with 'Tales From Earthsea'. Pixar have been releasing absolutely fantastic movies, every time, for 25 years. Completely amazing. The first 'Cars' was definitely up there with the usual Pixar quality level, a great movie. However, 'Cars2' is terribly average. It's always dangerous to go into a new movie with high expectations, but Pixar could be depended upon to deliver every time. Until now.

Not sure what happened with this one, personally I think they should have just pulled it and started over, but obviously there are mega-bucks involved so it's understandable.

Cars 1 is about cars, by people who love cars, it isn't a gear-head fantasy designed only for the total car nut, thank goodness, but the focus and love of the team behind it, shines through. Now, Cars 2 is about spies and James Bond and really doesn't have anything to do with Cars or racing. So it just doesn't work, it's dull and slow. It's interesting because it's full of cars and car racing, but it just isn't about that, it doesn't ring true. The car theme could have been pulled and replaced with cute penguins or human actors and it would have been exactly the same film. Michael Caine has quite a major voice acting role and he just phones it in, seriously, why did they let him do the whole film, he's terrible?

Oh well, let's hope this is the inevitable, but forgiveable blip in 25 years of stunning film releases. The next release will be interesting indeed.

Chrisj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cars 2 - Pixar's first turkey? Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Pixar have been releasing... movies... for 25 years

This observation scared me more than I can sensibly express. Also, it made me feel very old.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cars 2 - Pixar's first turkey? Reply with quote

Chrisj wrote:
Poo Bear wrote:
Pixar have been releasing... movies... for 25 years

This observation scared me more than I can sensibly express. Also, it made me feel very old.

Don't feel so old - the first feature film by Pixar was only 16 years ago. Their first short was 27 years ago, though that was when they were still part of Lucasfilm (although thier next short was indeed two years after that, after they had been bought by Steve Jobs and called Pixar).

As for the movie at hand, I'd have to agree that Cars 2 isn't as good as the rest of Pixar's works, but it's a lot better than a lot of the CGI dreck that comes out these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: