FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Ship names must be unique
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Ship names must be unique Reply with quote

Here's an interesting bug.

I had a ship named Mikanagi, it was one of the smaller ones and lots of fun. I decided to build a larger hull, and already having three ships, scrapped the smaller one from the Docking Bay interface. I assigned the new hull and decided to give it the same name - Mikanagi - because I like it :)

However, the game refused to allow me to set the new ship name to the same name of the old ship... so I had to choose a different name.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is correct. I can't remember why now (I'm sure Poo Bear knows though) but we stopped multiple ships from having the same name. Something to do with counting how many ship you built or something.

It's all working right.

How about Enterprise, Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C etc? Wink

cheers,
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your top ships are permanently recorded for posterity in the progress screen and you can't have a new ship with the same name.
Stonewall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How about Enterprise, Enterprise-B, Enterprise-C etc?"

Heh, you can only put like 8 characters in the name.

So, once my beloved DEVASTAR was wasted by the Zone 3 boss's last gasp, (Sure, I was in an escape pod, but you should have seen the other guy!) I was unable to make DEVASTAR 2. Ans let me tell you... that escape pod was pretty cramped with me, all my ship's equipment AND the drive component!

And what's up with the upper case? Other than trivial things like that, this really is a fantastic game.
Heebie-Jeebies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you guys did make a lazy step there in your name coding. Of course, lazy and coding are practically syonymous, but still. Perhaps changing to a DWORD-class would be better then INT (Note that i'm only referring to number of chars, because I have NO idea what the variable structures are named for letters)
Japlish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonewall wrote:
Heh, you can only put like 8 characters in the name.

Hmm only eight letters Question

Idea Maybe you could use: GETALIFE as next ship name.

Cool
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, heh, heh. All you insignificant earthlings who can't think of interesting names for their VIRTUAL spaceships! HAHAHAHAHA! I know someone who named his ships DK-I, DK-II, DK-III, and DKIIIMK2 (he said he did that because DK-III had not died). I DON'T THINK SO!!!!! Puny Earthlings, soon you will bow down to our wrath, you may not be strong or smart but their or BILLIONS of you to enslave!!!!
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heebie-Jeebies wrote:
Of course, lazy and coding are practically syonymous

I take particular offense at that comment.

Heebie-Jeebies wrote:
Perhaps changing to a DWORD-class would be better then INT

Under Win32 programming (C/C++, which is what we do, can't say for VB/Java/PHP/Perl/<insert preferred language here) DWORDS and ints are the same size, 32bits each. ints are, of course, signed values so you get a range of [-2^31..+(2^31)-1] instead of [0..2^32] for unsigned ints or DWORDS. Either way, that isn't the issue here.

The limit on ship names wasn't laziness or anything of the sort, it was simply a design decision made early on in development. Whether that decision was correct or not is (a) another matter, and (b) up to the individual's interpretation.
Stonewall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heebie-Jeebies wrote:
Yea, you guys did make a lazy step there in your name coding. Of course, lazy and coding are practically syonymous, but still. Perhaps changing to a DWORD-class would be better then INT (Note that i'm only referring to number of chars, because I have NO idea what the variable structures are named for letters)

Oh my god! I've been foolishly using char[] types for all my strings! I now see the error of my ways! Thank you, oh mighty repository of knowledge!

Side note... I considered using the word 'suppository' instead of 'repository' as a joke, but I chose not to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: