FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Land Air Sea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  What form of terrain accesibility do you like most?  

Land-Air-Sea Most notable: Total Anihilation, Warcraft2
47%
 47%  [ 17 ]
Land-Air Most notable: Starcraft, Warcraft3
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
Land-Sea Most notable: Nothing comes to mind, feel free to suggest
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Land-Land Most notable: Nothing comes to mind, feel free to suggest
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Soap Tastes Funny!
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]

Total Votes : 36  

Author

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Land Air Sea Reply with quote

Ok, this is half question-half suggestion, its a " suqestion ".

As per the title, what kind of terrain do you plan on incorperating, and what is going to be the no-go areas? The one thing i love about total annihilation is that you can go on 98% of the terrain, and you can build a stratedgy around that. You would be a fool to be on an island and be building your main force of kbots and vehicles without some form of fleet of ships, but a better stratagem would to go porcupine and attack with planes and bombers.(for those who don't know, porcupine is when you surround yourself with massive amounts of defensive weaponry, often 4 or 5 rows deep, and take a more guerilla style approach to attacking(my favorite stratedgy))

I hate the idea that water is some form of boundry that no-one can pass...I could understand if you wanted to make lava or acid pools that you could go through and would cause damage,or not go into, but i really dont like the unreachable terrain concept.

EDIT: i just thought of what was land-sea: age of empires I + II too bad i cant change the poll...

I made a poll so i could see what other people think,
Starscape Junkie

Last edited by starscape junkie on Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought that one thing you could do is instead of land-air-sea is land-air-space.

maybe something like when you get to a certain level in research, space is opened as a battlefield?
Gravitron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old the more the marrier, or is simple is the best.
Well, IMHO, it's all a matter of personal prefferance, and the only real way of telling which, is by letting the dev think it over and decide for themselves how good and talented they are and if they are able to design and balance it well or not.
We cannot decide that for them, they must try and see for themselves.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if space is used at all, I'd like it implimented as a trasitionary thing (think moving the Aegis around in warp mode to various nodes and if it were a planetary conquest game rather than just a war on one world - if you take a new world, you move your troops and stuff forward, if not, you move to the next friendliest node to regroup/healup).

I also think the focus should remain dealing with ground/air warfare. We've already gotten to zip around space fighting that way, so I think it would be best that if space were in at all, it be at the tactical level...Navigating on the big map, not space fighting at each node like before.

Truthfully I'd love to see a good blend of all three arenas, air space & ground, but I guess we'll have to hold out for when the dev guys can hire more staff Wink
HunterXI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dallas wrote:
I think if space is used at all, I'd like it implimented as a trasitionary thing (think moving the Aegis around in warp mode to various nodes and if it were a planetary conquest game rather than just a war on one world - if you take a new world, you move your troops and stuff forward, if not, you move to the next friendliest node to regroup/healup).

I also think the focus should remain dealing with ground/air warfare. We've already gotten to zip around space fighting that way, so I think it would be best that if space were in at all, it be at the tactical level...Navigating on the big map, not space fighting at each node like before.

Truthfully I'd love to see a good blend of all three arenas, air space & ground, but I guess we'll have to hold out for when the dev guys can hire more staff Wink

hmm... using space for movement purposes sounds good - it's simple, wouldn't affect gameplay too much, and wouldn't take that long to do...
Fire Storm

Location: Michigan, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 00356

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am an Alpha Centauri fan, so I say land-sea-air-space
Akuma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land-Sea-Air is my voice. Although as I think only TA did even decently involve ALL of them. Sea units have always been really sorta more a novelty then an actual thing to use unless the game FORCED you to use them.

Maps need to have a solid use for the naval units as a viable alternative to a huge ground force or as a supplement otherwise people go with the normal huge tank rush. Maps may have naval ACCESS but it simply is a way to say "Hey look..you could use those but..its not going to help you end the battle much."

Air seems decent normally and ground is standard, but possibly setup so that each one compliments the other well. Such as air has a semi limited range but with an aircraft carrier type of ship...hey! Extended range! Or ground forces that can when using a special ability enhance dmg from certain other air or naval units (targetting anyone?)
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land-air-sea-space-subterranean...being able to battle it out underground is rare, but interesting. It also allows you some alternative if your enemy has formed some nasty super-domination airforce that keeps everything above ground stymied.

Also, SSI's StarGeneral was an excellent use of space-air-land-sea combat integration.
01d55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you wind up not including it in the final game scenario, land-air-sea combat should be supported by the game engine, assuming you'll be providing tools for user mods.
Chibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: LASSS Reply with quote

Land-Air-Sea-Space-Subterran...

That's the coolest concept I've heard of! The only subterran battle game I've played is... SIM-ANT!

Space is great, you could zoom out to multiple levels, sorta like "MAD: Global Thermonuclear Warfare" does with their sattelite views...

Wait, battlescape's a 2d game like starscape, right? Okay, scratch that.

Hey, with space vehicles, you could use parts of the SScape engine in BScape. You could create space-station-platforms like in GravityWell. Fly around and shoot like in Asteroids... Upgrade your ship like in... starscape! But then you also have to worry about what's going on on the ground, and prepare for Anti-Air assaults, Anti-space assaults, Anti-subterran assaults... Gee, this is getting wild! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bobacles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For land/land, how about "Risk"? Or "Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns"? "Star Trek Armada" comes close, as there's only one plane of space, that everyone can use.

Don't forget "hover". It's a mix of land and sea, fast but not quite as maneuverable as air. It's really well suited for sea or coastal raids, IMO.

There's also "Amphibious", for vehicles that want to scour the ocean floor. It'd make for some interesting underwater missions. Underwater tanks and subs, hehe. Smile

Battlescape in space? Why bother with infantry or tanks, then?

I don't really mind what format is picked, but at least two ways would be nice. This seems like the sort of thing that gets exponentially harder the more you add, because of play balance.
BullS101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Balancing Reply with quote

Land - Air would get my vote, for the simple fact that it would be very difficult to balance the units for land sea and air. I believe that the reason you generally see more games with land-air units is because of the fact that it is easier to balance, easier for the gamer to learn, and in the end, more fun for more people.

Unless you guys can pull off balancing the 3 sets of units well, and make sea units actually usefull (lots of water everywhere, which doesn't seem likely while defending some territory on land), I would definitely go land-air.
Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ships ar enothing but a novelty and serve no practicle perpouse.

There realy isnt a question about it. ships == waste.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say: it's refreshing to hear everyone is thinking in such a pragmatic manner Very Happy Usually, if you ask someone if they want two features or three, they always say three!

I take everyone's point here: two great features are better than three shoddy ones. It's always important to allow room in your schedule to balance everything out - easier said than done. We've been burned before on pre-Moonpod products by trying to fill every available space in a schedule with 'features' to complete. Hopefully we've learned our lessons Wink
WaterCooledP4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land well duh we need that...sea would be nice, and air raids are fun. but be careful with the air units, like put a limit on how many you can have in the sky at once or that you can build. its no fair if your opponent can build 200 planes and obliterate youre whole base with just those. sea units can be a great addition to a seige of an enemy base because they provide a good platform for artillery that can be put more out of reach of the enemy. i really miss sea units in c anc c generals Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: