FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
how well do you do in survival?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  How long can you stay alive for?  

>1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1-5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5-10
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
10-15
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
15-30
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
"what if you fail?" "I wont."
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
uhh... what is survival?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
cheese muffin...
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12  

Author

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobacles wrote:
There are only three options for buying things, so why not use the q/w/e keys? Holding 'R' would scroll out the 'shop', and you press one of the other keys to buy what you want.

Weeble wrote:
Errr... I can only assume these other suggestions imply pausing the game while buying things. I'm neutral on that, but I got the impression Poo Bear wasn't so keen on it.

Holding 'R' and pressing the up/down keys leaves me more vulnerable, IMO. I think that not being able to shoot for a second is much better than trying to select the option while you're basically immobile.

You can make your selection by only pressing two keys, you'll be able to move at the same time, and you won't have to buy something if you don't want to.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobacles wrote:
There are only three options for buying things, so why not use the q/w/e keys? Holding 'R' would scroll out the 'shop', and you press one of the other keys to buy what you want.

actually I agree with that, so long as it's set up so you wont accidentally hit a key and purchase something... so how bout something like you have to hit it twice?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now see, that would screw up my approach to playing 10 minute survival. I tend to just keep hammering the buy key for bombs while sitting there dropping bombs. I'd rather not move than not drop bombs. Very Happy Also, I trust that people know you can still buy the current item while running away? Even if you're holding down UP to thrust, you can press the buy key without moving the cursor. The cursor only moves when you actually press down the UP or DOWN key after first holding the buy key.

I know it sounds like I'm just bashing an idea that wasn't mine, but I do think R+Q or R+E is getting very unintuitive. If there's one thing we can agree, I think it's that HCI design is not as easy as it looks. Smile
HunterXI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Ah, now see, that would screw up my approach to playing 10 minute survival. I tend to just keep hammering the buy key for bombs while sitting there dropping bombs. I'd rather not move than not drop bombs. Very Happy Also, I trust that people know you can still buy the current item while running away? Even if you're holding down UP to thrust, you can press the buy key without moving the cursor. The cursor only moves when you actually press down the UP or DOWN key after first holding the buy key.

I know it sounds like I'm just bashing an idea that wasn't mine, but I do think R+Q or R+E is getting very unintuitive. If there's one thing we can agree, I think it's that HCI design is not as easy as it looks. Smile

not R+Q or anythhing like that, more like Q then Q for an upgrade.
Zatar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the only other options are to stop the action while you decide (bad) or screw people with game pads and use more keys (bad)?

OK, I didn't think of the game pad thing.

However, why should I have to suffer because some people choose to play with a game pad?

There should be an option in set up to choose game pad configuration or keyboard configuration. Then you could assign one key each (say, ASD) to the 3 things you can buy. That would be much, much nicer.

Another thing that's bugging me about this mode is how random the crystal drops are. Sometimes one of those tiny first level fighter guys will drop 20 credits worth and sometimes you can take out a whole armada of level 5 ships and get jack.

I get the impression that the whole outcome of a game might be decided by whether or not the first couple of junk ships I kill drop enough crystals for me to upgrade my ship so I can kill the harvestor ship quickly since I have trouble killing it with the runabout (or, rather, I have trouble surviving the other ships while killing it or killing the other ships fast enough to have enough time to get the harvestor alone).

I think it's kind of funny how hard the survival mode is compared to how easy the full game mode is.
HunterXI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunterXI wrote:
Weeble wrote:

not R+Q or anythhing like that, more like Q then Q for an upgrade.

er, doh! I meant something like the 1, 2, 3 keys...
The DataBeaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get bored when I've played for about half an hour. At that point, all that's left are the worms and a few mining ships. I can run away indefinitely, but it's just no fun.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DataBeaver wrote:
I can run away indefinitely

Is this in 1.4e ?

Survival was different before that. I'm not saying it's impossible - maybe there's ways out of situations we hadn't thought of, but pre 1.4e you could do what you are describing and as of 1.4e I would have said that isn't possible without some special technique.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I wait with baited breath for Lothar's strategy guide. I can survive for quite a while, but nowhere near over an hour, and I've long since stopped scoring points because I'm fleeing the turbo-charged über-worms. How is it done?
The DataBeaver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Is this in 1.4e ?

Survival was different before that. I'm not saying it's impossible - maybe there's ways out of situations we hadn't thought of, but pre 1.4e you could do what you are describing and as of 1.4e I would have said that isn't possible without some special technique.

Yes. The super thrust goes faster than the worms, and since it won't run out of power, the worms won't catch me. Navigating so that I don't get trapped is not a problem. This assuming that the worms are not getting any faster. The level 4 shield can even take a direct hit when fully charged without letting any damage through. Every now and then I can turn backwards briefly and shoot the worms and collect the possible resource next round, but I can only get one or two resources a minute this way. Maybe I'll try just how long I can run away from them if I'm really bored some day.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said.

You do have to do some clever maneuvering... and it does get *really* boring after a while... but you can keep adding points if you just keep flying and keep shooting. It does get ridiculously hard to find resources, though.

On the "really boring" lines... moonpod... you guys really should consider turning the worms back down during the 10-20 minute time. It switches very quickly from "fun" at about 12 minutes to "boring as hell" at about 15. It'd be much more fun to fight with bigger cap-ship groups and one or two worms... don't bring in the worms full-force until much later in the game.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much would like to avoid seeing it end up like before; every game taking ages and ages. After you had all the tech - somewhere between 7 and 10 minutes - it slowly became increasingly boring, but without getting particularly hard. I guess there must be a compromise position in there somewhere.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: