FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Total Annihilation Breakdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the advanced CORE Kbots were pretty good, especially The Can and Sumos on base defence. I'm also rather partial to the Maverik.

WC3 allows multi-point patrolls.

While TA incorporated a number of features that were really great, (I love fire while moving. Fire while moving is the best thing ever. Especially because it allows always-moving air units.) in some respects TA is a rather primitive game, especially in that there are exactly two "spells" in the whole game: cloak, and D-gun.

Also, I notice that simultaneous-multiple weapon systems haven't been mentioned yet. A big part of what made Krogoth so cool was it's ability to use the superlaser from the head at the same time as one of it's other two weapons (both of which appear to be entirely unique to the Kro) Another example is the doomsday device's three independently targeted lasers.
TrueLore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TA was very fun, i played ot for like 3 years

Then uninstalled it

Then when i felt like playing it agian, i couldnt find disk 1! O.o

Then i found disk 1, in 2 peices

Ive never played TA agian t.t
Bobacles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01d55 wrote:
Also, I notice that simultaneous-multiple weapon systems haven't been mentioned yet. A big part of what made Krogoth so cool was it's ability to use the superlaser from the head at the same time as one of it's other two weapons (both of which appear to be entirely unique to the Kro) Another example is the doomsday device's three independently targeted lasers.

That is quite possibly the coolest part of TA. Never again have I seen an RTS where units have independently targeted weapons. TA has done it, and made it look awesome at the same time.

Other games just focus on one vs one combat. One unit shoots one other unit, and all is good. The most powerful units in other games just kill one unit faster, and kill the next unit faster too. Some units can use explosive effects, but no one even dares to engage two guys, much less a whole army at once. The Krogoth dared, and I loved it.

The Krogoth's weapons allow it to feasibly take on 3 enemies at once, but each weapon still has its own strengths and weaknesses. The laser is made for big guys, the missiles for air units, and the hand cannons kill little guys. Chances are you'll need to attack with with your whole army to take it down, so the Krogoth's weapons always have a favored target to aim at. When you see it in action, the Krogoth looks like a true god among robots, fighting a three-tiered battle all on its own. Kick ***.
Stormlock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played some SC mods that had unit with independant weapons. Stuff like a sort of infested goliath, it shot 3 lurker spines versus ground and 2 scout missles versus air, and could do both at the same time. There were some air units that had multiple weapons too, with major and minor cannons, etc.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vehicles with multiple weapons fitted will attack multiple targets simultaneously i.e. the main cannon shoots other vehicles while the side machine guns take out any troops.
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
The vehicles with multiple weapons fitted will attack multiple targets simultaneously i.e. the main cannon shoots other vehicles while the side machine guns take out any troops.

How dynamic will the fighting look on-screen? A lot of games make it look a bit boring with units just waddling up, then plink-plink-plink until someone dies. I suppose it's hard to make tanks dance around but will the infantry be running, dodging, looking like they're trying to not get killed?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, but it is difficult to get that right, a lot of the time it is the application of different units into your squad that make them behave more interestingly. Especially if that behavior is not just eye candy but has a direct bearing on the outcome.

For example, if you decide to take assault troops with heavy armour, grenades and heavy pistols then expect to see people rushing up to each other and your units even trying to go toe to toe with tanks. If instead you take scouts spotting for distant artillery then expect a lot of hiding in trees and running away. Or maybe you take troops with long range heavy weapons like mortars, heavy machine guns and rockets so expect to see people in static positions on hills taking long range pot shots at the enemy.

It's your choice what units to take and your responsibility to work out how best to use those units. You are also dealing with large forces of perhaps hundreds of units (that is why you can only manipulate the squad as a whole). In the past it was just a case of selecting all your best units and pointing them at the enemy, this is why a lot of people have been focusing on making the units look interesting when they engage each other. There is nothing wrong with that but I think the first priority should be to make sure there is more going on in the first place. We need more tactical options than "select all best units units, point at enemy", that is just boring. Hopefully with the right mix of units and challenging missions then the battlefield becomes a very dynamic place as different units, tactics and strategies are experimented with.
ZWing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Hehe, I love resurrecting games... Reply with quote

TA is quite alive. Check out http://www.tauniverse.com/

Even better, check out http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

TA RoXoR!!!

Twisted Evil
hammerwing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the things I think were best about Total Annihilation from a player/design standpoint

0) Releasing units over time. The most fun I ever had with an RTS was waiting each week for the new Total Annihilation unit to be downloaded. It simulated real war and the way that the introduction of newly researched battle units changes the face and balance of war over time.
The games with the new units were unbelievable exciting because you never knew how the new units were going to affect the game.

1) Multiple dimesions of combat- every good game has interesting decisions for the player. TA allowed you to decide among a variety of completely different ways to attack your opponent every game, including ground/air/nuke/longrange artillery

2) Along with Queing, smart unit functionality esp Guarding. Assiging a construction unit to guard an AREA, and have it help any unit in that area (whether repairing or helping to build) was AWESOME.

3) Resource gathering that required NO micromanagement.

4) Units that MOVED in combat. Nothing looks more stupid to me than every other RTS I've played where attacking units move forward to combat then stay in the exact same position until they die.

5) The Krogoroth unit-- Having units on vastly different scale was awesome, somthing that Dawn of war does well also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: