FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Radar or only LOS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Radar or only LOS? Reply with quote

Well, will there be Radar or only direct LOS in the game.
if you do radar, i would reccomend to make it use up one equipment slot on vehicles and not a permanent research (if such tings are in the game)

Radar could come in three outfits:
light radar: shows you the position of enemy units in a are
medium: shows you the position and size (small, medium, large)
heavy radar: shows you the location and the exact unit type
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i hope so
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every unit you field has a sensory range with any detected units being updated onto your mini-map. There will be active radar vehicles you can use if you want (as well as jamming vehicles). The higher up your units are the further they see.

This is all very important if you have taken artillery as they can fire further than they can see using other units to spot for them.

Some units can see/sense further than others, a radar vehicle is actively pinging and can see a long way, snipers also have a long range. Upgrades can extend that range even further.

I'm experimenting with the idea of radar (or whatever the units are using) cannot penetrate trees unless your units actually enter the trees or whatever is inside the woods starts moving. I'm not sure this will actually work but it is an intriguing idea i.e. hide units in the woods and wait for the enemy to wander past. It might not be possible to get the AI to use this technique and/or counter it properly though - it's fairly advanced. It might also just be annoying, running around themap searching the woods for an elusive enemy.
BloodWarLord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
It might also just be annoying, running around the map searching the woods for an elusive enemy.

thats why we've got nukes......

there are gonna be large scale explosives (like a nuke) in the game, right?
________
Ford duratorq engine

Last edited by BloodWarLord on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actuly the best way to get pepple out of the forest is incendary weppons

burn baby burn
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be nukes?

If nothing else you will be able to spend a silly amount of battle points on a one-time-use nuke tank (i.e. a big half track truck with a single whopping great missile on its back). This might be interesting if implemented properly with advantages and disadvantages. For example, all your squads gain or lose XP based on performance, so everyone getting wiped out has a knock on negative effect for the next few missions. What if nukes are unpredictable with the irradiated zone randomly large. What if their use causes negative morale penalties on both sides. What if everyone has them but agrees not to use them, in a tight spot they could make all the difference, who will use them first?

I think this could make them a lot more interesting if just the presence of a nuke on the battlefield causes the player to think very carefully about his actions. It would be cool if someone had his back against the wall and used one and that caused everyone to start firing them. In a way that would be the end of the game as matches devolved into flinging nukes at each other and permanently irradiating the battlefield. If a battlefield remembers it has been nuked then any future fight there would place severe limits on the types of units that could be used. Hard radiation affects delicate electronics and delicate human beings so you could only really fight in the heaviest armour with none of the high tech electronics upgrades.

You could effectively end the game in mutual destruction quite quickly. Oh hang on, that would be bad wouldn't it.

Can you burn trees?

Oh yes, with the right weapon/ammo then you should be able to start small fires.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Will there be nukes?

If nothing else you will be able to spend a silly amount of battle points on a one-time-use nuke tank (i.e. a big half track truck with a single whopping great missile on its back). This might be interesting if implemented properly with advantages and disadvantages. For example, all your squads gain or lose XP based on performance, so everyone getting wiped out has a knock on negative effect for the next few missions. What if nukes are unpredictable with the irradiated zone randomly large. What if their use causes negative morale penalties on both sides. What if everyone has them but agrees not to use them, in a tight spot they could make all the difference, who will use them first?

I think this could make them a lot more interesting if just the presence of a nuke on the battlefield causes the player to think very carefully about his actions. It would be cool if someone had his back against the wall and used one and that caused everyone to start firing them. In a way that would be the end of the game as matches devolved into flinging nukes at each other and permanently irradiating the battlefield. If a battlefield remembers it has been nuked then any future fight there would place severe limits on the types of units that could be used. Hard radiation affects delicate electronics and delicate human beings so you could only really fight in the heaviest armour with none of the high tech electronics upgrades.

You could effectively end the game in mutual destruction quite quickly. Oh hang on, that would be bad wouldn't it.

first i truck carying a nuke into a battle is unpractacal today thare is a nuke that is scuad portable its a .1kiloton device it looks like an overlarge bazoka
anything bigger than .1kiloton is to powerful for battlefeild use

i am thing maby a 1 use weppon caled the NUKE! (yes in all caps to enfasise the importence)

the NUKE! would cost lots of points and you can only cary one per infintry scuad (or maby you could put one on a airplane)

the NUKE! would decemate a large area creating a glass lined crater and emp shockwave and radation

but before we hae NUKES! we nead to proprely know about radiation

radation is
partacals releced by a decaying atom
falout is
tiny paricles of radoacive matter which persist for hundereds of years

thus if something gets hit by raditation it will not beacome radoactive unless it gets radoactive meteral inside of it

a few inches of meattel is enough to stop radation so a tank is imune to radation (but it neads and NBC filter to prevent falot partacles from geing inside and geting into the solders) infact a jeep can stop a good portan of the the radation

nukes create fallout that lasts hundreds of years and a large amout of radation that only lasts a weak

radation is in you home
buy a giger counter and wave it around your house at the smoke dectors* and in the basement and you will be serprised at what you find
my town is probably verry radoactive (built on a bead of solid granit the beadrock is less than 10ft below my backyard and my towns first indestrys was fishing and quarying)

you are more likly to get canser in a coal mine than a nuke plant
beacuse all rocks are slightly radoactive and in a nuke plant evrything is behind 3ft on concreet

and thats moast of what i know about radation

Quote:
Can you burn trees?

Oh yes, with the right weapon/ammo then you should be able to start small fires.

why not BIG fires

*yes smoke dectors thay contain radoactive ameracanim
r000000b
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the idea of using a nuke causing bad moral, but it might cause good moral too, "ha ha weve nuked you" or " I cant believe they nuked us! get'em!" or if there is a lot of gamma radiation "dont make me mad, you wouldnt like like me when I'm mad". This could apply to chemical/biological weapons too couldnt it? although I imagine the Helioans are going to be more scared of d-drive based weapons.

Other weapon types might effect moral, being shot at by a unit you cant see such as a sniper or artillery would be bad, but you would get a huge boost from killing them.

Have you considered poisoning units? they dont die straight away but gradually loose health, that cant be good for their moral or anyone near them, might be better to put them out of their misary but then that would be a huge moral drop. Perhaps they could infect/iradiate other units then get close too, might make you think twice about healing them with your expencive medic. It might be best just to charge them at your enemy in the hope of infecting/iradiating them.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
first i truck carying a nuke into a battle is unpractacal today thare is a nuke that is scuad portable its a .1kiloton device it looks like an overlarge bazoka
anything bigger than .1kiloton is to powerful for battlefeild usewhy not

It's about making a fun game NOT a simulation, reality is a useful tool in "fun games" because it lets people immediately get what you're doing without reading a manual or having to make a huge mental leap. However, the fact the game is set in the future is also a useful tool because that lets me do pretty much whatever I like as long as it is consistent and doesn't go too far.

If any squad on the field could be carrying a nuke then how do you detect that as a player? If the nuke is big and on the back of a purpose built truck then you can spot it a mile off which is good. If nukes are just big bombs with little other effect than going bang then what is the point? On the other hand if using nukes has major repurcusions for both players then that makes the game more interesting.

People understand (rightly or wrongly) that nukes are BAD, so if both sides morale drops after one is fired, people will understand that and accept it. If the size of the "contaminated" area is unpredicatable and only certain hardened vehicles can operate within it then people understand/accept that too (even if it isn't totally valid). It is nice to have super weapons, but if they really are that good and have no drawbacks then you just broke the game.

icarus wrote:
BIG fires

If you could burn down large amounts of forest easily then hiding in the trees becomes a pointless strategy as the first thing your opponent will do is incinerate any trees near him. The game is better if you can start small fires fairly easily but it takes too long to just systematically burn everything. The opponent being able to see the smoke from far away would be a nice touch too, another reason not to just burn everything. This way you are wary of wooded areas and will send out scouts to check them out, with perhaps a few mortar men standing by to shell the area if the enemy is present.
BloodWarLord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, this whole thing about nukes wasn't what i had in mind.......i was thinking more along the lines of ICBMs or something, but either way i have some stuff to add

if you did make trucks that carry nukes then people might just make a whole ton of them and lauch away at the enemy, but if you made it so you store nukes underground near your base, then you would only be able to carry one but the advantage would be your enemies don't know you got one until they are 5 seconds from being blown to smithereens
________
Chrysler d platform specifications

Last edited by BloodWarLord on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Demi Virus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to cleaning out an area with infantry units? Using true tactics and not just pressing a "destroy the world" button. Mad

Everybody these days all they want is a superweapon. Very Happy
BloodWarLord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demi Virus wrote:
Everybody these days all they want is a superweapon. Very Happy

im moderately happy with anything thats kills people, but im really happy when they burn too
________
Honda RA107 specifications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: