FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
How many units?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: How many units? Reply with quote

Well, i read the forums a long time now, now finally have a question on my own and i hope i can contribute to this game as well.

So the question for me is, how many units whill there be involved in one engagement.

Only a few, so that every unit counts, maybe because they arent replaced, and you really have to use tactics to win (like sudden-strike, GC1, CloseCombat, ect)

Or will there be massive encounters, where you will just rush the enmy with a few battalions of cheap infantry, since they dont cost much and you canr eplace them fast.

Oh and a second one:
Is each infantrymen controlled seperatly, like in C&C, Sudden-Strike or the fighters in HW 1, or are there squads of the small unit types, like in Close Combat or HW2?

For myself i would prefer small numbers of units, so that bigger units count more, (for example not more than a handful of talos per battle, so that they generate a ATAT like feeling in STTESB in The battle for hoth) and small units in squads, so its more easy to handle and you can focus more on tactcs than finding your units in the nearest forest
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infintry will come in scuads and about how many units you can use it think each unit has a piont value and befor the battle you have a number of points to spend on units so how many units you can have depends on how powerful the units are

i also heard you can save points for reinforcments which should make fore some intresting stratagys (will you deploy all you units at once or sav them for latter)
Pithlit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats with the squads is nice, but will the battle mainly between infantry with a few tanks wich you have to cover, because they are valuable or will there be hordes of tanks and walkers with lotsof infantry between them?

Its the scale that matters.

of course, the Battle for helms Deep in LotR2 is impressive with thousand of orks, but i find the smaller engangement much more intense, when you know you have archieved something after destroying some enemy units by flanking or something.

not like the usually 24 Zerglings that were slaughtered by your 6 Siege tanks in a 5 minute turn
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a "Build RTS", each mission has a scenario and appropriate points and unit limits to fit with that scenario.

So you might have one mission where you must attack a large well equipped dug in enemy entrenched behind fortified lines. You would be given enough points to field perhaps hundreds of units, you would be able to choose from sensible options like artillery, tanks and heavy assault troops.

The next mission might see 2-3 infantry squads in transport shot down on the way back from the previous encounter still behind enemy lines. In this mission you just have to escape and are well outnumbered, here you might choose 15-20 units from things like standard troopers and scouts.

You only manipulate squads, not actual units and even infantry squads are "mechanised" i.e. they have a transport vehicle they automatically get in and out of.
Pithlit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but even when you mass troops, what would be the normal counter between infantry and armor?

1:4
1:10
1:20?

The larger the better in my opinion, many infantrymen, and not so many tanks and even fewer battlemechsr
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 to 6 sounds good to me

my idea of a good scuad

5 helocopter gunship/transports
2 hev air transports (hopfuly cary 2 jeeps each)
4 jeeps (in the hev airs)
9 scuads of 6 men (4 in the jeeps and 5 in the choppers)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: