FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Visuals are only 2/3 of the game. (Audio Discussion)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Visuals are only 2/3 of the game. (Audio Discussion) Reply with quote

In my humble opinion, visuals are little more than half of a good game (2/3 if you like), and since games currently don't have touch, taste, or smell, (and visual is aready present), that leaves audio. Audio can be divided into two main groups in games: Music and Sound Effects. In Starscape the Sound effects were there, and the music was nice. What will the background music be like in battlescape? Personally, I would LOVE to hear remixes of the starscape music, along with some new music.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i aggrey we nead to abolish the old sterotype thay all video game muisc sucks

and we nad more games whith soundtracks like homeworld and flatspace
Jake89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that.
Johnh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of good video game songs out there. If you like video game music, you should check out a few sights:

www.ocremix.org <- high quality fan made video game music. songs pass a board of judges - VERY diverse.
www.ffreborn.com <- Piano arrangements composed by Michael Huang of many Final Fantasy songs.
www.jeremysoule.com <- this guy did the music for TA, among many other games!

and of course google is your very best friend on the internet.

To this day, one of my favourite songs is Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei. I was introduced to this song through Homeworld

*SPOILER*(it's the song playing on the third mission when your Kharak get's destroyed)

*/SPOILER*

Of course, in my opinion the best video game songs come from Nobou Uematsu - the guy who does all the music for the main Final Fantasy games.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no dount mention Final Fantasy music i'm still trying to get the basead music from FFX out of my head
Degraine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can say there's a stereotype that games have bad music. It really depends on who wrote it. The Super Mario Bros themes have proven to be timeless classics, remixed and added to over the years. Final Fantasy of course has a MASSIVE library of themes and songs that have been packaged into countless CD releases over the years.

On the other end of the scale...ummm...well, I can't think of any bad game soundtracks off the top of my head, since they generally came with bad games that I barely played. Which I think says something. I don't think game music has a stigma attached to it - it just hasn't received the proper attention it deserves.

That said, I wasn't too impressed with the music for Starscape, even before you take the 'playing for five hours' factor into account...I want 60 piece orchestral themes to listen to while I crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentations of their women.

Not that I'll get them...but one can hope. If external music support is included, I guess I'll have to rip tracks and plunk them into the appropriate folder.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Games that ive played had great music. Half-life 2, Homeworld 1, and Halo 1. I havent tried HW 2 OR Halo 2 (Not on PC Mad - and i DONT play console games.) Halflife 2's music is best suited to this sort of game thought it is quite short... Steal thier music and ill be happy. Twisted Evil
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warcraft 2 had excellent music.
Kythorak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Klepacki did the original C&C Music... I suppose you could ask him.

www.frankklepacki.com

You can also listen to his older music. He did a LOT of music work for Westwood;

C&C 1 and it's expansions
Red Alert and it's expansions
Tiberian Sun and it's expansion
Red Alert 2 and it's expansion

Just to name a few! I think he also did Earth & Beyond as well as some others...

EDIT: Listen to his Map Themes from the CnC Series in particular, they really capture the feel of a "conquest" for ground, IMO. Hell, listen to it all. His most popular, by far, has to be the (in)famous Hell March.
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im fond of the Rise of Nations music myself(thanks to windows media player it manages to worm its way into my playlist every time i update it) and the painkiller soundtrack fight music is enjoyable as well.

On the other hand id put visuals at a mere 20% of a game, music at 30% and gameplay at 50%. I dont care about visuals as long as it doesnt hurt to look at them (eye candy is a definite plus obviously)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: