FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Is there a connection between Talos, Hades & Cerebus
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Is there a connection between Talos, Hades & Cerebus Reply with quote

well you guys presented the talos walking tank on the same screenie as the cerebus tank, and the cerebus tank looks sorta like a hades tank

on a sidenote you guys should put in some cheats to Battlescape. i know i would have enjoyed starscape much more if i could have had infinite minerals/ammo, all weapon techs from the start, or been able to put multiple items on 1 storage spot on a ship (muhahaha the runabout of doom!)
________
Free themes

Last edited by BloodWarLord on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a connection betwwen Talos, Hades & Cerebus Reply with quote

BloodWarLord wrote:
i know i would have enjoyed starscape much more if i could have had infinite minerals/ammo, all weapon techs from the start, or been able to put multiple items on 1 storage spot on a ship (muhahaha the runabout of doom!)

I don't get this - you just play games on god mode or something? I'm starting to become quite distraught at the trend towards experience rather than gameplay in mainstream games, and I'm wondering if this is a symptom of that. (I even noticed a seminar at a recent game dev event which was saying gameplay didn't matter any more and experience was king. I don't agree of course.)

We've covered cheats before on the board, but I'm now wondering: do many people just want to play though a game without a hiccup? Is it just a mindless way to kill time. I don't really get it, but if people want it..

I have to admit, playing Quake on god mode is preferable to watching East Enders or Corrie, but if I want an experience, I'll go and watch a film, or I'll buy the wife some flowers Wink If I want a game, I want something challenging.
BloodWarLord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not neccessarily what i meant (even though god mode would be really fun)

when i said i cheats i only listed those examples because thats all i could think of all, but then again maybe cheats isnt the right word, but either way.... maybe you could invert the color on everything for a "cheat", change up some sounds so it doesn't sounds like firing beams or whatever......
________
Vaporizer Guide

Last edited by BloodWarLord on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally get 'fun cheats', and I suppose there's legit reasons for god mode if people get stuck.

I just get the impression some people want a fully loaded invincible ship every now and then. I suppose it's good if you've had a bad day at school or work!
BloodWarLord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Yeah, I totally get 'fun cheats', and I suppose there's legit reasons for god mode if people get stuck.

I just get the impression some people want a fully loaded invincible ship every now and then. I suppose it's good if you've had a bad day at school or work!

that was exactly my original idea, so get with the magic making, lol
________
COUNTACH

Last edited by BloodWarLord on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about cheats
you nead joke unit cheats

like the hulacopter (ask webble)
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a connection betwwen Talos, Hades & Cerebus Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I don't get this - you just play games on god mode or something?

I never use cheats until I've won without them. Like warcraft 2? I played that and beat it a few times before I used any of the cheats, and that was for amusement. Some people I know always play things on God mode or they refill their life using a code when they are about to die and I don't care for that. I like a game that's interesting and challenging. If I want to fly around and blow things up, I play Star Wars Rogue Squadron.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun cheats (Like big head mode in Golden Eye) I understand, but playing through a game with god mode enabled seems utterly pointless. At that point it ceases to be a game.

I'm starting to wonder if some people (not necessarily on this forum) might just want the game equivalent of a soap opera - something you can passively experience.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought of a special case justification.

After spending 35 on "Privateer: the darkening" (I think that is what it was called, it was a long time ago), I was glad of a god mode cheat. The game was flawed by bugs and a silly difficulty level, but had the most expensive cut scenes ever made (at that time). There were lots of famous actors in it, most of which did an amusing but half-arsed job of telling the story. It was basically Elite with a story so if nothing else I wanted to get through to the end to partially justify the expense.
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Fun cheats (Like big head mode in Golden Eye) I understand, but playing through a game with god mode enabled seems utterly pointless.

Ah but being able to destroy the entire horde using naught but a peasant is fun! Razz
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if some people (not necessarily on this forum) might just want the game equivalent of a soap opera - something you can passively experience.

you mean the sims
guillett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of easter eggs, meself. God Mode seems a bit silly to me, but on some games it's a nice way to blow off steam or mess around, particularly if you've already beaten the game.

I suppose you could set a flag when the game is finished, and only allow certain cheats once the game has bean beaten legitimately. It's probably not worth the trouble, though.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluePhoenix wrote:
Ah but being able to destroy the entire horde using naught but a peasant is fun! Razz

I'm not saying you're wrong there - that's the vibe I've been getting off a lot of people - I just totally don't understand it.

Here's an example: I have a nephew who plays through all games on easy, so that he can complete them quickly. He played through Halo, which was no challenge whatsoever on easy, he never died, and finished the game. Yet I'm sure he had lots of fun.

To me the experience would be like watching a movie and having to press a button to see the next scene, but it seems that's what a lot of people want. Truly, I don't understand.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this article on what "fun" is will help (registration required)

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20041110/falstein_01.shtml

Apparently it's all about the genes and our caveman heritage - survival skills, hand/eye coordination, pattern matching, learning social skills, shared story telling, aquiring knowledge, GAINING ADVANTAGE, etc. Press any or all of these buttons and you're laughing (apparently).

I suppose being able to cheat is like the cavemen realising he can use the elk jawbone to extend his reach and therefore amplify his hit power. He now only needs to hunt for 2hours a day and spends the rest of his time sat with a full stomach laughing at all the other dumb shmos. The ability to discover the secret easy route, to find a better safer way, to do something faster, to know you have the power - is in itself fun/rewarding/satisifying.
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Here's an example: I have a nephew who plays through all games on easy, so that he can complete them quickly. He played through Halo, which was no challenge whatsoever on easy, he never died, and finished the game. Yet I'm sure he had lots of fun.

Oh well that I'll completely agree with you on. The one peasant army thing is only fun after you've beaten it several times after you been systematically pummulled into the ground by ogres. But playing a game with no challenge is silly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: