FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
F.E.A.R
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: F.E.A.R Reply with quote

Got F.E.A.R, its Fun game. It has Smart AI (Hiding behind pillars to reload is a bad idea because they WILL flank you) the weapons are fun to use, Make loud noises, and kick up lots of dust. You can s l o w d o w n t i m e and drop kick enemy solders in the face. (in first person Mr. Green )
Also this is the first FPS (that I know of) ware you can look down and see your legs you also cast a shadow and have a reflection. Shocked No longer are you a gun floating 5 ft off the ground.

However this game is not without problems. Namely the craptastic level design. Apparently the level designers built the game with flanking tactics in mind. as a result many areas are loops. If you are an idiot like me you will find yourself wandering around in circles. If you are an idiot like me you will find yourself wandering around in circles. This can make finding your way through the game hard. Also For a survival horror shooter its not nearly as scary as it should be. sure it has lots of macabre imagery but it doesn't really do much to scare you. This is sad because the FPS has the most emotional potential of any video game genre. Sad to see all that waisted.

Any other opinions?

Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to give an opinion but my PC is no longer up to the challenge of games like this.

However, I have it on good authority that Stalker is a much better scary fps. Maybe you should try that next.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:

However, I have it on good authority that Stalker is a much better scary fps. Maybe you should try that next.

Oh the Irony!

Just last week I was standing in gamestop having to choose between FEAR, Farcry, and stalker. I chose fear because it was the gold edition and would last longer. (I needed something to last me until HL2 EP2 comes out) I didn't buy Farcry because I could probably get it cheaper on amazon and I didn't buy Stalker because although I have been tracking it for the past 5 years I just didn't know if it could live up to the hype.

Anyways Stalker has problems on Vista and is currently wading through a sea of patches right now. I'll just wait a few months and then buy it.
SethP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played FEAR myself, but I heard that they actually did a very good job making the environment scary (mostly because of the little girl who pops up at the corner of your vision).

Was my friend lying to me, or is he just a wuss?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maby he's a wuss?

The girl IS scary* but she always warns you before showing up and you get used to her being thare quickly.

*she could give that bitch from "the ring" a run for her money.
Sorrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know why but F.E.A.R just didn't do it for me :S

although that plasma weapon you get later on is awesome Very Happy love the way it looks.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finished the game and the expansion pack. It does get MUCH scarier (especially at the end of extraction point :shudder: ) and the levels get much less tedious once you enter the office building.

The plot feels like the shining as written by Tom Clancy and the visuals look like Ringu as directed by John Woo. Overall the whole special forces vs things man was not meant to know vibe is 100% awesome and I hope they make another one.

Musings: I thought the gold edition would come with a comic but it appears that that was only for the "directors edition" they really are taking this action movie thing to far.
Siber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time lurker here, finally deciding to chime into discussion.

FEAR owns me. I got the demo a while back and played that to death. I played the ten, fifteen minutes of combat the demo offered probably around 30 times. Come this last Christmas, I got the full version and played it on hard in under two days, then shortly after played it on extreme.

I love this game. I maybe once got lost, which seems right for an FPS of this size. I've seen the level design maligned in other reviews for being too regular through the game, but I can't complain. All six main locations I think I could ID from a random screenshot, except maybe the first one, which is good enough for me, and the similarity that is admittedly there adds an amount of connectedness for me. This isn't a campaign, it's a mission.

Scares, I was freaked out by the game on multiple occasions. I don't usually like scary movies/games, but I enjoyed this. The shooting portions of the game were amazingly entertaining as well. Of all the other games with slow motion in them that I've played(only one other really) it feels the best in FEAR. Some situations are just constructed to make you feel like a god with slowmo, and that's really what one plays FPSs for, isn't it? To feel awesome? FEAR does it.

My only complaint is that the game is too easy for me. Even on extreme difficulty, only one segment of the game is actually particularly hard. Perhaps I'll go back and replay it with some restrictions, like not using slowmo.

The expansion pack, on the other hand, just didn't do it for me. I played it once, for the plot elements it contained. There are a few reasons why I didn't like it. First of all, it didn't feel the same. Something was missing, and as I understand it the game was made by another developer, so that's probably it. Secondly, during the first game, you slowly gain access to new and better weapons, and you gather powerups that increase your slowmo time and maximum health. At the same time, the enemies get tougher and tougher. Well, in the expansion, you start with the same health and slowmo as you had... at the beginning of the first game. The enemies on the other hand are as tough as the ones you were fighting at the end of it. I consider this highly frustrating.

Ah. Looks like I've got a bit of rant going here. I'll end it now.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who loved fear said the expansion pack was much scarier than the main game?

I think once i've finished HL2:e1 i'll pick this up.
HEL 9000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went over on halloween night to my friend's house, and he had JUST bought Fear, and after our candy looting rounds when we got back to his house at about 10:45 PM and i got onto Fear and played from the start of the game to about "Interval 6" in about 2 hours, then the ninja-y thingys killed me endlessly for about 4-5 hours more...
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
A friend of mine who loved fear said the expansion pack was much scarier than the main game?

I think once i've finished HL2:e1 i'll pick this up.

Yes the "Oh god I don't want to talk about it" kind of scary.
and it has moar weapons and moar baddies to use the weapons on.
HEL 9000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love (though its cheating) to give myself an infinite supply of remote detonators, and throw tons of them onto corpses, and when I detonate them... the corpses tend to launch skyward and get stuck in the ceiling
Siber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I got bored of the expansion pack and looked up cheats to make it more entertaining while I sucked out all the juicy plot. I gave myself about 45 seconds of slowmotion and infinite chaingun ammo. Still made myself work for health and armor mostly, but taking out two or three squads at once with just slowmotion chaingun is hellishly fun.

In more legitimate fun, remote bombs are so great to play with. Using them as mines is obvious, as is sticking them to people... but I love using them as airbursts. Throw one, maybe go slowmo, and as it flies through the center of a pack of enemies, hit the button. Boom. But I usually try to save them for the heavy enemies, the mechs and such.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siber wrote:
but I love using them as airbursts. Throw one, maybe go slowmo, and as it flies through the center of a pack of enemies, hit the button. Boom. But I usually try to save them for the heavy enemies, the mechs and such.

I had to learn that quick when I ran out of missiles on the turret level.
Siber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you a tip. You don't have to destroy any of those turrets. Though there are a few you might want to just to make life easier.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
They all either have enough cover to let you slip past, or a power switch nearby that you can pull to turn them off. That lets you save your rockets and grenades for the mech that's coming up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: