FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
The Binding of Isaac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: The Binding of Isaac Reply with quote

Wow, this game is seriously inappropriate. A naked child flees his god-fearing mother (instructed by god to kill him) through basements and caves filled with flies, maggots, faeces and a multitude of animated corpses, mutants and blobs of flesh. He fights them with only his tears. Unlockable characters are Magdalene, Cain, Judas and Eve. Bosses include the seven deadly sins, the four horsemen, a few guest stars from other games, and of course Mom. Oh, and you also get to make deals with the devil. The visuals only (just) avoid being sickening by having a strong and cute cartoon style, familiar to fans of Edmund McMillan's other works, such as Gish and Super Meat Boy.

There is a Linux version, but it doesn't run too smoothly on my laptop, so my experience is less than ideal, but it is still surprisingly good. The core twin-stick shooter mechanics are not bad, though not in themselves particularly notable. What really distinguishes the game are the vast number of things to discover, and the carefully crafted progression.

On your first play-through, I think there are 6 levels. Each level has a number of connected rooms, generally including one item room, one shop, one challenge room, one secret room, one boss room and a bunch of normal rooms. Power-up items are found in the shop, in the item and secret rooms and dropped by bosses. Generally they disfigure you in some way (devil horns, coat-hanger through head, discolouration, bloating, etc.) and provide a new ability, improved stats or a better weapon. The thing is, there are a vast number of them and which ones appear is random, but you also unlock more of them as you play through which might appear in subsequent games. You also unlock nastier enemies and bosses. In fact, the first time you complete the game, you unlock a whole 2 more levels for your next play through, and there's eventually a 9th to unlock. So even though it might only take 40 minutes or so to play through to completion, your next game is going to be quite different, and you'll want to keep coming back for more.

I really like the combination of a relatively short play-through time combined with unlocks and a large amount of random content. I see this as really a best-of-both-worlds combination of old-school features like perma-death and new-school features like permanent unlocks. I would love to see more games doing this. Rather than laying out all your content in one long linear progression from start to end and then shepherding the player through it at all costs, get them from start to end quickly, but without holding their hand, and make it sufficiently different every time that they will love to do it over and over.

Humble bundle link (Less than 2 days left as I type.)
Steam link
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look interesting, thanks for the tip. Purchased Smile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very good, but I haven't managed to complete it even once! I mean, I love the idea of rogues, but I always end up frustrated because I know my progress will be lost any minute.

Permanently unlocking something is a great idea to make it feel like you've genuinely made some progress that will persist, but it would be nice if you could pick one or two items from your collection to take with you. Although, if I could find enough hearts I could unlock Magdalene and maybe she's tougher than Isaac?

I love the music and the artwork and animation is lovely.
Chrisj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life does get a bit easier (sometimes) as you unlock more stuff, but there's still a lot of luck in whether you get anywhere or not. At least it isn't a game that takes ages and then randomly perma-kills you, though. (Naming no Nethacks.)

And yes, I found Magdalene (and also Cain) slightly harder to accidentally kill than Isaac. But while I did manage to complete the original set of levels, the extended set has been too much for me so far....
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find the secret room on each level it helps a lot, because it will give you a free item. There's always a secret room which can be accessed with bombs, but mostly you'll need to guess where it might be. I think it's always connected to at least 3 other rooms, so that can cut down your options for guessing. Also, keep a sharp eye out for the darker rocks with a tiny X on them - blow them up and there's a good chance you'll get some soul hearts or something else good.

Don't waste a key on the shop if you don't have enough money to buy something. Prefer to spend keys on item rooms first before anything else.

If you're struggling, I would avoid challenge rooms. They rarely seem to have anything exceptionally good in them, and can often cost you a heart or two. They're always dead-ends.

And while it does get a bit easier over time, you will sooner or later unlock "Everything is terrible: the game just got harder", which I think makes all the boss fights harder.

Magdalene's yum heart is incredibly good. Perhaps only the book of revelation is better so far as activated items go. (Same effect, but generates soul hearts instead of hearts.)
Chrisj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret rooms can be really useful - but using your last bomb to get in and then finding the room only has three cents in it is not so good. Or that it contains greed rather than anything useful....

Challenge rooms don't activate until you pick up their loot, so you can go in through the door and see whether it's worth fighting for without risk.

Otherwise, what Weeble said. Although I've not played enough (or I'm not good enough) to have seen "Everything is terrible".
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: