FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Battlescape be ported to Mac?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Battlescape be ported to Mac? Reply with quote

Hello Moonpod

I know its been along time since I discussed anything about games for a long time, but will you port 'Battlescape' to the 'Mac' in the near future. Once it has been released on the pc and since now you have 'Starscape' as a good basis behind you...

Maybe I am a bit far of head of myself and that you would probably like to do it , but have no time or resources to do as yet...

Well what do you think?? Shocked

Juggy
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess this is where I apologise to anyone with a Mac Sad. Sorry, but the Mac port of Starscape is on indefinite hold for now, and it's looking like Battlescape will go the same way. Time and resources (i.e. hours in the day) are pretty much the reason it's not happened, and not likely to happen soon.

Obviously, this isn't a final decision and we'll have to see what the future holds, but for now that's pretty much the state of things.

Sorry if we disappointed anyone.
Gravitron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac users will have to settle for Ambrosia Software.

Apple might be better than Microsoft, or the lesser evil, but as a workstation/all-use terminal, PC is far superior.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
Apple might be the lesser evil

MIGHT be the lesser evil? come on, what's more evil than microsoft?
Gravitron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, you don't want to find out.

And please, do not paraphrase me.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
Trust me, you don't want to find out.

And please, do not paraphrase me.

1. Yes, I do.
2. What is wrong with paraphrasing?

Quote:
par·a·phrase
n.
1. A restatement of a text or passage in another form or other words, often to clarify meaning.
2. The restatement of texts in other words as a studying or teaching device.

i was just making it easier for the people to read!
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: mac... Reply with quote

I have to giggle at an OS as sophisticated as OS X - a solid Linux kernel with a beautiful GUI -- running on hardware that comes with a one-button mouse. It's the little things that make all the difference...

For you more technical people... how hard is a Mac port if you've already done a Linux port? Is it fairly straightforward, or is it messy?
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ended up using (IMO) all over the place while writing this, so I thought I'd just add a bit to the top of the post to say that 99% of this is my opinion (although it *is* all based on experience). I just thought I'd mention that in case Apple lawyers were reading and thought they'd bring their might to bear against Moonpod. This post is the opinion of Goober, and does not represent the opinion of Moonpod.

Now, on to the rambling:

It depends on what your app needs to do. If it needs to open native OS windows and such (and you just used XWindows on Linux) then you might have some trouble. Cocoa programming is truly an awful experience. Whoever invented Objective-C should be beaten to a pulp with a copy of Stroustrup's C++ reference book (the hardback 3rd edition, preferably). And why Apple thought it was a good idea to base the GUI code around NextStep......

anyway...

If you use SDL or something like that, then you'll get up and running reasonably quickly. SDL itself is a bit limited, as it doesn't support some of the things you'd expect to see, like support for hardware accelerated audio mixing, better controller support, stuff like that. The only problem then will be the fact that OSX and the development tools (specifically, ProjectBuilder) are so unstable that you'll spend more time looking at the reboot screen than you will actually writing code. But that's just my experience.

Maybe it's best to wait to hear from someone that's had a good OSX experience before taking my word for it though Smile

Oh, and before the pedants crawl out of the woodwork, it's not built on Linux, (IIRC) it's built on Darwin, which is a Unix.

<Columbo>Just one more thing, sir.</Columbo> The GUI might look nice, but it's really awful to use, especially if you come from a PC background. Everything seems designed to look pretty and act nice, and at the same time limit your ability to get where you want to go quickly. And the keyboard and mouse supplied with the machine are truly abysmal. It's a lesson in irony seeing a G4 iMac with a Microsoft mouse and keyboard plugged into it (the standard UK Mac keyboard doesn't have a '#' key. Really cruddy when you want to #define something, or #include a header file. C/C++ programmers know what I'm talking about).
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober wrote:
(the standard UK Mac keyboard doesn't have a '#' key. Really cruddy when you want to #define something, or #include a header file. C/C++ programmers know what I'm talking about).

Shocked
Really? Urgh. I guess I'll stop dreaming about getting a Mac in the future to end my UI frustrations. Still, I've had it up to here (*indicates eye-level at top of monitor*) with Explorer and its taskbar. Its grouping by application is next to useless, just adding a whole bunch more clicks every time you want to change apps, and eliminating the handy click-on-taskbar-to-minimise function. I gave up on that, but to do so you really need two lines of taskbar. Then the cursed "Start" button sticks to the top of the taskbar, rather than the edge of the screen! It suddenly becomes many times more difficult to find and click. The task buttons are similarly placed along the top row first, keeping them away from the easy-to-hit edge of the screen. Grrr! Goodness knows how I'd cope if I weren't using a tabbed browser. (Which I believe *shouldn't* be necessary because window management should be handled by the window manager!) I'd go back to Litestep if it weren't so fiddly to add items to its popup menus and if the XP Home fast-user-switching interface would play nice with it.

Oops. Sorry. I think I overheated there. Does anybody actually find their day-to-day interaction with their computer a joyous thing?

Weeble.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the '#' key thing is for real. I couldn't believe it either.

Are you using WinXP then? You mention the taskbar grouping stuff by application, so I'm guessing you are. I have XP on my laptop and the first thing I did was to switch off absolutely everything that was remotely Windows XP and get it to look like Win2K. Far more comfortable, and a lot easier and quicker to use.

You must keep a heck of a lot of applications open to need 2 lines of taskbar. Either that or you're running at 320x240 or something Wink
Gravitron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL...no #...
And NextStep...snort.
The first browser (WWW/nexus) was made with a NeXT computer.
Just another of those useless information #xxxx.

#include signature.txt

Wink
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not the most organised of workers. I often accumulate five or six explorer windows, sometimes a contact list and a few chat windows, a bunch of metapad windows, a browser and maybe a Paintshop window. Maybe an Acrobat window for good measure.

I actually like the Luna theme, (maybe I'm ill) but I've since turned it off in the hope of regaining some performance. I'm on XP Home, having decided to show some principle and buy a legitimate copy, not being able to afford 2000 Pro. Sadly it's either worse than 2000 at multitasking or it wastes all the CPU time. I used to be able to run a local Half-Life server and a client on this machine, but not with XP Home. I'm trying to find stuff to turn off in the hope of fixing it.

EDIT:

So, if the Mac isn't Nirvana, what is? Is there anywhere better to go? I must admit that while I like Linux in principle, I've generally found the default UI to be a bunch of good or cool ideas taped together with little better understanding of HCI than Windows.

Weeble.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: off topic: XP tweak Reply with quote

Right-click the taskbar. Click properties. Uncheck "group similar taskbar buttons". Problem solved.

At least, half of it... I have no clue how to make the start menu stick to the corner instead of the second line.
01d55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Goober wrote:
(the standard UK Mac keyboard doesn't have a '#' key. Really cruddy when you want to #define something, or #include a header file. C/C++ programmers know what I'm talking about).

Shocked
Really? Urgh. I guess I'll stop dreaming about getting a Mac in the future to end my UI frustrations. Still, I've had it up to here (*indicates eye-level at top of monitor*) with Explorer and its taskbar. Its grouping by application is next to useless, just adding a whole bunch more clicks every time you want to change apps, and eliminating the handy click-on-taskbar-to-minimise function. I gave up on that, but to do so you really need two lines of taskbar. Then the cursed "Start" button sticks to the top of the taskbar, rather than the edge of the screen! It suddenly becomes many times more difficult to find and click. The task buttons are similarly placed along the top row first, keeping them away from the easy-to-hit edge of the screen. Grrr! Goodness knows how I'd cope if I weren't using a tabbed browser. (Which I believe *shouldn't* be necessary because window management should be handled by the window manager!) I'd go back to Litestep if it weren't so fiddly to add items to its popup menus and if the XP Home fast-user-switching interface would play nice with it.

Oops. Sorry. I think I overheated there. Does anybody actually find their day-to-day interaction with their computer a joyous thing?

Weeble.

Yes. I do. I use a mac for everything except games (like, say, message boards) and a PC for everything else.

But I'm not a programmer, so I don't run into a number of problems that have been mentioned earlier. BTW, isn't the # symbol just shift-3? It is on my keyboard. Oh! I can also do things like ¬, ß, and ülmats (ümlats?) much easier than with PC. Switching to Japanese characters (which this forum apparently doesn't support, comes out as a bunch of ?s) and the like is much easier as well.

The one button mouse is a pain in the ***, if you're playing a Blizzard game. For everything else, there's ctrl-click.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the British pound symbol (£) is on shift-3 on the UK Mac keyboard. This actually had me completely stumped when I first got the machine, it's not marked on the keyboard at all. After an age of pressing random keys, it turns out it's Apple+3. That doesn't excuse the fact that it's not marked anywhere though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: