FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Blasters V. Ions V. Beams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Which one do you chose  

Beams
55%
 55%  [ 26 ]
Blasters
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Ions
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
The type that doesn't exist yet OR Missles
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]

Total Votes : 47  

Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
Why do you have batteries on that ship? Your generator produces way more power than you're ever going to use with just blaster 3's.

Probably for running the kettle to have a cup of tea while waiting for the cargo bays to unload.
Ripdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo its called future-proofing! What that answer is too serious? Ummmm, ooo i kno its to supply power for the aliens she has on the ship! What, that answers worse?

Kythorak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Lothar wrote:
Why do you have batteries on that ship? Your generator produces way more power than you're ever going to use with just blaster 3's.

Probably for running the kettle to have a cup of tea while waiting for the cargo bays to unload.

Yeah. Besides, I just picked 'em up and slapped 'em in, I didn't really give a damn about what I was using them for. They're just there in the case of bigger weaponry, really. Smile
da chicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build three ships. All of them have shield and engine, and by the end of the game all of them are Devastators (I tend to overmine, so I have a lot of free resources).

1. Capital assault. Use for destroying pesky capital ships that have invulnerable bits as well as mining danger zones. Filled to the brim with Beams, 4 nova bombs, and a few batteries. This is the primary ship, as it can do everything in a pinch.

2. Fighter sweeper. Max Photon torps, missle drones, nova bombs, and missile/bomb bays. This one typically has no grav beam.

3. Mule. 6x Blaster II, one nova bomb, grav beam, and everything else is cargo. Since Blaster II's are 1x1, they allow for 6 more Cargo Bays! I usually have enough cargo space to mine a sector from full to empty, which is a lot more cargo space than the Aegis itself has.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound identical to my general loadout.
Wolf Warhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasters do decent damage and have that great charge up attack. However, there is rarely time to use that attack when you need it the most. Ion weapons don't do great damage, but they have a good range, both forward and sideways. Beams do massive damage, but come in very, very late and are pretty much only used when you reach the final boss.

My all-time favorite is missiles, though. 2 Plasma torpedoes, 8 missile bays and I'll rarely run out of ammo while doing a lot of damage. Bombs are also quite nifty. They run out of ammo quickly, but you only need a few to clear an entire field of enemies.

My final ship had 4 Lasers, 2 Plasma torpedoes, 8 or so missile bays, 2 Nova bombs, 4 bomb bays. No more cargo bays since I didn't need to mine anymore. The final boss didn't stand a chance.
Vector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vote: Beams

Wasnt an easy decision by any means. True, beams come pretty late in the game, but hey, just in time with all of Zone 5 coming at you, plus every space monkey and asteroid aiming at you. The power use is something one could do without, especially with my tactic, mounting 6 Level 4 beams on a Devastator, with a couple missile drones, and about 6-8 cargo pods.

(Probably a horrid ship layout, but it's served me pretty well Laughing )
Shagazar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missiles take the cake for me, but mostly because they're homing (I can't aim...). Beams would have been top if their charge-up attack didn't have such little range...
Vector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shagazar wrote:
Missiles take the cake for me, but mostly because they're homing (I can't aim...). Beams would have been top if their charge-up attack didn't have such little range...

Oh, and a thing about the bolded. Try Charging up the beam, while heading straight foward. When you release the charge, the lighting will follow and surround your ship. Needless to say it's pretty reckless (I get uncomfortable on hard mode), but it does increase the range.
hainsay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artinum, what you posted on the first page is EXACTLY what I found. even the sudden plasma torp fenzy in zone 5 lol
bsperan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how early you get Ion Cannons, they do still fill a niche - depending upon your strategy. As some have pointed out, both Blasters and Beams take too long to charge up. So having charging weapons (while extremely cool Cool ) is not always that useful. Also, after beating Boss #3 you get access to Lv 4 technology. That means you can research Ion Cannons Lv 4, which are significantly better than Lv 2 or Lv 3!

I've found that a Devastator hull with SIX Ion Cannons Lv 4, ONE Nova Bomb Lv 3, seven (or NINE) Bomb Bays and two Beam drones deserves at least some respect. (Had to add in at least one Battery Lv 4, however!) In fact, it is my ship of choice for the purpose of killing Mining Barges and Interdictors and it's nearly decent against other capital ships.

However, that setup is not ideal for taking on Lava Worms... nor for mining operations! You get to have up to three ships, so that was one of my standbys. It still racked up nearly 4000 kills, though!

Particularly in Zone 5, the enemy drones and frigates can quickly overwhelm your ship - even when lugging out Nova Bombs one at a time! But with SIX Ion Cannons Lv 4, you can let 'er rip on the capital ship while the 4x6 (24!!!) ion streams bounce of this ship to spray the swarm of drones closing in behind. That, combined with a steady stream of Nova Bombs is enough to wipe out all but the deadliest of swarms (like multiple capital ships).

I find this Ion Cannon setup to work very well against Mining Barges for that reason. I can concentrate on the barge without worrying too much about the swarm of drones. Also, the spray of 24 ion beams pretty much covers the entire length of the Barge - so I can hit every one of those cargo containers simultaneously. And if there is a container that stubbornly refuses to blow, I turn the ship so the Beam Drone hits it. The only setup I've found to work better against Mining Barges is all Beams.

And I'm always in a hurry to take out the Mining Barges AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Those darned things skedattle in a hurry as soon as they take on damage! Then I would have to chase them around from node to node and facing swarm after swarm. Not pleasant... So I have to take risks and go in hot in a swarm of enemies. (Though if there is a capital ship right next to it, I'll have to take it out first.) Often times, I'll use "R" to call Aegis in for backup. That really helps to take out the Mining Barge quickly.

Also, with seven Bomb bays and only 1 Nova Bomb, you get 24 shots! With that much, I usually have enough to last until returning to Aegis.

However, I would not consider Ion Cannons unless I have a Devastator hull, Level 4 technology and Ion Cannons Lv 4. Anything less and I will always choose Blasters and Missiles/Torpedoes instead (or beams). So for much of the game I had an Avenger hull with two Lv 3 or 4 Blasters in the nose, two Heat Seekers/Plasma Torps in the wings and, later, two Missile Drones.

All that said, however, Beam weapons are my absolute favorite. That's where my vote went. Nothing beats a Devestator with six Beams Lv 4 and two Beam drones!! Shocked Very Happy But as others pointed out, you only get Beams at the end of the game. Sad

However, I still have considerable respect for Plasma Torps. Against Bosses #3 and #4 I might choose those. As an experiment, I tried a Devastator with four Plasma Torps, Two Beams and two Missile Drones. (Also with a Nova Bomb and some missile & bomb bays.) It's pretty nifty. The two beams I added to the nose/center to give it some extra punch for those armored capital ships like the Gravitron.

Finally, I don't understand why anyone would despise the Side Drones. They dramatically increase both firepower and the area of attack. Granted, Beam drones are very difficult to aim. That is, unless the whole ship is filled with Beams. Wink And the Blaster Drone is nearly worthless. You can't even charge it up. But the Missle Drone has seeking missles - with infinite ammo! What's not to like? Question
tieron_asaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ions all the way for me. I actually found out the best way to use them for mining... But it involves having played pool for years and years and being the only person in one's highschool physics course to ace every test. Angles of reflection and refraction and all that good stuff when it comes to bouncing **** off of more ****. I mastered that and I could fire just a few shots into a swarm, coupled with some plas torps to knock stuff around, and stuff started going boom left and right.

Then there's the matter of the Mining Ships... would you like to know the dastardly thing I did to them? I would nail an ion blast right in that tiny little gap between containers. I would put three or four in there, just pelt the ship with ion blasts. I didn't usually take out the miner in one node, but it never took me more than two nodes to take him out... then just soak up all the resources...

Also, as said in the 'Last Boss too hard' thread, I took him out with all ions and a couple nova bombs at the end for a dramatic finish.

I'm all about the dramatic finish.
KJK::Hyperion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion for the fun, beam for actual use. The bouncing action is great (I have terrible aim), and the spread angle comes in handy for large swarms. For added fun I mixed level 4 with a couple of level 3 ions on a Devastator class, so the pattern was a bit more varied; with two beam drones for precision hits (e.g. lining shots to the drone bays of a Gravitron). I found beams much more boring, but strangely satisfying when used as a lightsaber. Lightning mode? never used it, range too short, too little power, really not worth it and a far cry from the blaster's charged shot

A weapon I loved in Blasteroids and would love in Starscape: the Ripstar. Sends you spinning and shooting like crazy, clears out a whole screen in a single application (see also: the Death Blossom in the movie "The Last Starfighter"). Maybe a charge-up secondary weapon?
tieron_asaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJK::Hyperion wrote:
Ion for the fun, beam for actual use. The bouncing action is great (I have terrible aim), and the spread angle comes in handy for large swarms. For added fun I mixed level 4 with a couple of level 3 ions on a Devastator class, so the pattern was a bit more varied; with two beam drones for precision hits (e.g. lining shots to the drone bays of a Gravitron). I found beams much more boring, but strangely satisfying when used as a lightsaber. Lightning mode? never used it, range too short, too little power, really not worth it and a far cry from the blaster's charged shot

A weapon I loved in Blasteroids and would love in Starscape: the Ripstar. Sends you spinning and shooting like crazy, clears out a whole screen in a single application (see also: the Death Blossom in the movie "The Last Starfighter"). Maybe a charge-up secondary weapon?

I'm thinking Death Blossom could be a secondary for Ions. An ultimate scatter shot, but the DB shots shouldn't bounce. Instead they should deal increased damage. ALso, if you have drones, they should join in on the ultimate DESTRUCTION.

BOOMBOOMBOOM!
clibin009

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clb0925
north face jackets
christian louboutin sale
adidas nmd runner
uggs
coach outlet online
coach factory outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
christian louboutin shoes
pandora charms sale clearance
ferragamo shoes
ralph lauren outlet online
ralph lauren outlet
ray ban glasses
polo ralph lauren outlet
adidas yeezy boost 350
adidas nmd r1
hermes bags
birkenstock outlet
timberland outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
hermes handbags
hermes outlet
yeezy shoes
ralph lauren sale clearance uk
harden shoes
uggs outlet
ugg shoes
ray ban sunglasses discount
coach outlet store
michael kors bags
polo ralph lauren
oakley sunglasses outlet
mulberry uk
yeezy boost 350
burberry handbags
cheap ray ban sunglasses
toms outlet
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet online
uggs outlet
pandora outlet
coach factory outlet
louboutin shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
coach outlet online
adidas nmd runner
cheap jordan shoes
louis vuitton factory outlet
mlb jerseys
valentino outlet
coach outlet online
canada goose sale
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet canada
nike shoes
ralph lauren outlet
nike outlet online
adidas superstar shoes
birkenstock
retro 11
canada goose outlet
michael kors
coach outlet store online
adidas ultra boost
michael kors outlet store
air jordans
coach outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet online
north face outlet
ugg boots outlet
red bottom heels
ray ban sunglasses outlet
cheap jordan shoes
moncler coats
mbt
ugg outlet
canada goose jackets
discount oakley sunglasses
canada goose jackets
tory burch shoes
coach outlet online
ray ban sunglasses discount
bottes ugg
cheap uggs
pandora charms
uggs outlet
ugg boots
cheap ugg sale
ray ban sunglasses sale
pandora charms outlet
jordan shoes
adidas superstars
hermes bag
ugg boots
uggs outlet
pandora jewelry
nfl jerseys cheap
ralph lauren sale
harden vol 1
cheap nfl jerseys wholesale
ugg outlet
coach outlet online
cheap nike shoes
coach outlet online
uggs outlet
michael kors
toms shoes
coach outlet canada
mulberry outlet uk
ugg outlet online
michael kors handbags outlet
coach outlet store online clearance
adidas yeezy shoes
cheap ugg boots
cheap jerseys
kate spade handbags
yeezy boost 350
cheap air jordans
coach outlet online
cheap ugg boots
adidas nmd runner
ralph lauren uk
adidas sneakers
nike cortez classic
ugg canada
oakley sunglasses outlet
ugg
ralph lauren sale
valentino
michael kors uk
birkenstock uk
christian louboutin sale
canada goose parka
coach outlet online
ugg boots outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
superdry sale
pandora
polo ralph lauren
ugg outlet store
michael kors outlet clearance
coach outlet online
ugg boots sale
cheap ugg boots
ugg boots
coach outlet online
cheap jordan shoes
birkenstock shoes
coach outlet online
pandora charms outlet
louis vuitton handbags
kate spade outlet
timberland outlet store
longchamp bags
polo ralph lauren outlet
jordans
louboutin outlet
cheap jordans
longchamps
coach outlet online
longchamp handbags
cheap jordan shoes
pandora jewelry
canada goose outlet
coach factory outlet
hermens
coach factory outlet
uggs outlet
ralph lauren
cheap air jordans
ralph lauren uk
ugg outlet
nmd adidas
coach outlet online
canada goose
adidas outlet store
canada goose jackets
ray ban sunglasses cheap
pandora jewelry outlet
pandora charms
ugg outlet online
air jordan shoes
pandora charms sale
moncler jackets
canada goose coats
superdry outlet
fred perry polo shirts
nfl jerseys wholesale
nike outlet
ugg sale
ugg boots
coach factory outlet
moncler jackets
moncler outlet online
tory burch outlet online
ralph lauren outlet
moncler sale
louis vuitton outlet store
oakley sunglasses outlet
canada goose outlet
ugg boots women
yeezy boost
supreme clothing
air max
mlb jerseys
kate spade handbags
toms
louis vuitton outlet online
ray ban glasses
mlb jerseys whgolesale
ugg boots outlet
coach outlet online
tory burch outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
kate spade outlet online
cheap uggs
adidas nmd r1
ray bans
michael kors outlet canada
louboutin outlet
gucci outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
uggs on sale
coach outlet
canada goose clothing
discount ray ban sunglasses
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren
kate spade handbags
ugg boots outlet
ugg boots outlet
kate spade outlet online
canada goose coats
ralph lauren sale clearance uk
uggs clearance
canada goose jacket
moncler pas cher
ugg boots
kate spade outlet online
air max shoes
canada goose jackets
ugg uk
mulberry handbags
hermes bags
ralph lauren sale
cheap ugg boots
burberry uk
coach outlet online
uggs outlet
ferragamo outlet
coach purses
polo ralph lauren outlet
canada goose jackets
[url=cheapjerseyswholesalefromchina.us.com]jerseys cheap[/url]
moncler
michael kors bags
moncler outlet online
uggs outlet
nike air max 2018
fred perry shirts
red bottoms
nfl jerseys
uggs outlet
ralph lauren
michael kors
coach handbags outlet
nike outlet store
fitflop sandals
toms outlet
canada goose
nike outlet store online
canada goose sale
louis vuitton outlet store
nike sneakers
adidas outlet store
burberry outlet
toms
the north face outlet
coach factory outlet
coach outlet store
polo ralph lauren outlet
oakley sunglasses outlet
adidas yeezy boost
ugg slippers
longchamp sale
uggs outlet
coach outlet store
ugg boots
coach outlet online
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet
yeezy shoes
ugg sale
coach outlet online
coach outlet store
canada goose coats
caterpillar boots
adidas outlet online
adidas outlet online
coach outlet online
ugg boots
cheap ugg boots
air jordan retro
pandora charms outlet
michael kors
toms
ugg boots on sale
beats headphones
mlb jerseys
air max
uggs outlet
ugg boots
uggs outlet
ugg on sale
canada goose outlet
pandora charms outlet
burberry outlet
longchamp
yeezy shoes
canada goose sale
polo ralph lauren outlet
pandora jewelry store
adidas nmd r1
canada goose jackets
ugg outlet online
yeezy boost 350
cheap jordans for sale
coach outlet canada
birkin handbags
moncler uk
pandora jewelry outlet
pandora uk
canada goose jackets
adidas store
uggs outlet
ray ban glasses
fitflops sale clearance
moncler jacket
moncler outlet online
red bottom
mbt
burberry outlet online
adidas yeezy boost
yeezy boost
mulberry
coach outlet online
pandora charms
canada goose jackets uk
moncler sale
cheap ray ban sunglasses
pandora charms
burberry outlet online
nike sneakers
nike outlet store
[url=cheapjerseyswholesalefromchina.us.com]cheap nfl jerseys[/url]
ugg outlet
longchamp bags
supreme london
beats wireless headphones
nike huarache shoes
clb0925
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: