FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Suggestions for updates,expansion packs, or new versions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great game Smile but i think a multiplayer add-on would be nice

perhaps with deathmatch or a mode with grid an each player has got a mothership etc.
Zeede

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have a cooperative mode, playable over the net or on a LAN, where the Aegis found two survivors.

Basically, the game as it is, with two players onscreen at once.
Durandal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeede wrote:
a cooperative mode, playable over the net or on a LAN

This would be great, and more fun than a "Deathmatch" mode IMO.
Symphonic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good ideas... wow, where to begin Very Happy

I think that develpment costs could reflect the size of the target object more... and make stuff harder to build by shifting the mineral requirements into the higher-value minerals

certainly, in a sequel, I would EXPECT that there would be more mineral types, and each kind may be associated with certain uses. Perhaps not to the extent or depth that was suggested by chemman, but certainly enough that I know that if I want to build plasma torpedoes I'm gonna have to get a particular mineral that is typically needed by plasma weapons.

Ammunition, I know we (players) hate it, but it is a critically important income drain. I maxed out initial research options in the first Zone of Starscapes 1, and if only it was a little harder to keep surviving on six Blaster4's I might have felt pressured to move on. Even if we pay 10 minerals per thousand blaster rounds, that's still significant in the long run (especially considering that blaster 4s fire four of them at once.. meaning I could have expended 24 per volley!). And there's nothing to stop me from mounting six Plasma Torpedo launchers and a bunch of missile bays... that rips through any amount of archnids... for free!

It really bugged my that Archnids never fought the indigenous space-worms

I am 110% in favor of a more modular Station, it doesn't even need to be related to the Aegis, but I wanted to install shields, upgrade the thrusters, add missile launchers and more cannons, and get auto-mining setups on that baby. What if mining turrets could be installed on the Aegis? you could just send it into an asteroid field, and have a ball defending it from the archnids.

However, the ultimate achievement in the original is that it is well balanced between challenge and player development. I would rather features be dropped than have the game become sickeningly easy with the right exploits in play...
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few things to take into consideration, some bugs i found(maybe), stuff like that

1. I second the other ships being able to be used, id like it if you say, rescued a couple pilots...so they can fly the other ships, because i saw no motivation to use anything but the devastator or the runabout...the pilots would also be say generally able to follow orders such as cover me, mine, engage the enemy, return to base

2. Laughing now the harder stuff, or easier...i can hardly be called anything but a beginer in open gl, amatuer in general...Anyway, i think repairing should take a little longer, more of a check box then a button, based on the engineers you have rescued...would repair over time so you would have to pilot another ship in the meantime.Just makes more sense to me...

3.Reloading should take some minor minerals per reload, you could have the option to do so...although i love the fact you can break the theory of relativity...

4. A PART ACTUALLY WORTH READY (sorry, just had to get your attention, its actually important) After a prolonged exposure, say 2-6 hours, and for me and a friend at least, the music speed increses by 2-3x...its really annoying as the music is really good, my only real one i hate is the bosses, because it breaks off from the rest of it..just personal opinion though

5. This is the main thing i have with starscape, make the windowing in the config, i hate haveting to switch every time i open starscape, i know this is easy because I can do it...its simple programming. I have absolutely no problem with the resolution.

6.I would like to re-afirm all the posts that say the aegis-type-ship should be more modular, especially with weapons, i really was mad when there was so much space but only one turret per quarter

7.A slightly harder tech tree to achieve...havinga level 4 engine,generator, full lev 3 turrets and lev3 cannon,and such really shouldnt be possible in the first zone...just a thought, you should jump to second zone, and scientist says "weve made a breakthrough in engine tech, you can now research and build engine four" etc etc

8.If youre still reading, i applaud you, and i hope you stay around to read the rest...

9. this may have been a one time thing, but i tried to load a slot with no game in it, and the game crashed...

10.stick with the 3 elements, this was the true genius of this game...but i think the aegis should at least be able to hold 150 or you should be able to build cargo space...illogical as that is, i hate mining to find out i just wasted resourses...i do think that you should be able to mine a certain asteriod, and that leads to a tech advance...like plasma for a plasma torpedo

11.With the whole rescuing the pilots, you could unlock two player mode, dont really know if thats as important as the other stuff ive mentioned, id just think it would be neat...i think this would make a neat capture the flag idea

12.Just another thing ive noticed, i would like to at least be able to aim and shoot when im undocking...and i love how the lasers go right through you and hit the ship when you are undocking...just another thing that you should watch out for in two...or fix, its not my program, so it doesnt have to meet my insane standards...lol

Suggestion one dozen...geez, i need a life...

13. Some natural phenomena, nebulas that disable shielding, nearby singularities cause wierd gravometric effects, stuff like that

14.be able to put more shields, and generators on, only one engine makes sense with the current designs, but should the designs change...

15.Put save in the aegis menu, and put in "are you sure" when you press the quit button,that has killed my progress in the game 3 times now...this is a definite necessity

16.If you are going to have nuetral npcs, make them attack everyone, i hated how the things were in the middle of an armada, and they honed in on you...

17.ive forgotten what else i wanted to put here, so how bout giving me a high paid job that has absolutely no relation to work whatsoever... Laughing thought not, but oh well, you guys make great games, even if this is your first

18. and to Nossie, Jazz Jackrabit 2 isnt abandonware yet, only the original is... just tellin ya...
FriendOrFoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually typed this up and tried to post it before I noticed this thread. Some of my ideas were already mentioned Smile

Yay, this game is fun. I especially liked carving thru zone five vs hefty enemies with my big guns. Following is a list of suggestions and observations about the game; with hopes of an expansion or sequel. I wont pretend my opinions are perfect, so if you disagree with or are offended by any of them, just ignore them as though I were ignorant, annoying, or mentally ill.

Fighter stuff:
-more mass disparity between hulls to force the choice between heavy destroyer and nimble fighter.
-Addition of sheild, thrust, or generation booster modules
-Addition of neccesary cargo modules to improve fighter/miner class distinction
-Slight cost for missle and bomb reloads (I just dont feel right about being able to toss all that out there at no cost)
-As many as six weapon groups with the option to have weaps in multiple groups
-Addition of capacitor modules allowing for faster charging of chargable weapons
-Option to turn charge mode on/off mid-battle with chargeable weapons
-Addition of nova-bomb style missle launchers (because nova bomb missles look really, really cool)
-Further refined grav beam which can dismantle rocks (or enemy drones in a pinch)
-Ability to change the angle of weapon turrets/drones on fighters during setup; then being able to cycle thru your angle configurations mid-battle

Aegis stuff:
The poor girl can scarcely defend herself! Why do I have more effective weapons than a space station?
-Better and more varied aegis weapons (allow placement of fighter weaps on turrets?)
-Option of which side to launch from
-Option to launch independant fighter or mining drones (not replaced for free if destroyed)
-Possiblity of mining equipment/behavior for Aegis
-Addition of sheilds
-GREATLY increased capacity for raw elements
-Possibility of piloting Aegis while docked

General stuff:
-Addition of fuel concept; a slight cost for moving Aegis around or using a fighter's generator
-Addition of auto repair modules (would still cost resources)
-Repairs not instant on docking (may have to use a different fighter when yours is in the shop or keep the aegis safe when it's hurtin')
-Enlargement of visual scale (It's safer to fight from far away, but it's cooler to be able to see what you're blowing up)
-Armor plating on enemy ships: cool; fact that said plating is absolutley invincible: not so cool (exception for level bosses)
-I was really impressed with the missle targetting system where just enough to destroy was dedicated to a target; lots of fun
-Possibility of using elements slowly and inefficiently in place of other elements
-Description of the natures of the rare elements
-Notation of which nodes have actually been visited
-More interesting goodies/treasures to find (than just lost crew)

Concept summary:
Upon looking back and reviewing the suggestions I've made, I noticed a few high level (emotional?) trends that my ideas convey; in case you find that sort of thing interesting
-Moving, shooting, repairing, replacing. Nothing comes without some small cost
-Gathering and managing resources is important and we need increased capacity and efficiency to that end
-Node space is a cool place to explore and learn about
-The aegis is important and needs more power, protection, and abilities
-Customizing a fighter is fun; the more factors to think about the better
-I enjoy a lot of the (anime style) visual effects in this game

Thanks again to the MoonPod staff for the game. It's loads of fun.
Zeede

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendOrFoe wrote:
Aegis stuff:
The poor girl can scarcely defend herself! Why do I have more effective weapons than a space station?

Because it was designed as a science station.

Quote:
-Option of which side to launch from

Pressing Q launches to the left, W to the right...
FriendOrFoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks zeede. I was always using the mouse for the select box and going left.

I still think the few places they do put weapons could have better weapons. C'mon they're scientists, they can adapt Smile
Even the weapons they do have could be put to better use if they would pre-track a target before it got into actual weapon range. The slow speed of turning the turrets takes precious battle time. It would be fun to fly out to approximately main gun maximum range and watch some drone get a faceful of the stab-o-ray the instant it blunders into range. Reminds me of the big white circle that Foghorn Leghorn has painted around the dog's house. Smile
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the part that bugs me the most is the long pause when it switches between the menus and the actual gameplay screen. The transition screen takes way too much time and bogs down the gameplay.

It's also annoying that the construction/research processes cannot be queued. Really drags things out when you're mining, then have to hyperspace to change something, then drop back in.

I think the fighters need more maneuverability. The graphics are so sweet, all that's needed is to make the fighers have straffing mode so they can go hotrodding all over the screen.

I do like the idea of making there be a real difference between the ship classes. There best game for really depicting a difference between light and heavy fighters was Wing Commander, though WCII also did a great job. Something like the Hornet or Ferret or Epee, real hotrods but eggshell fragile. The heavier fighters could take more damage and dish out more punishment but that came at a price.

Kind of annoying that they aren't doing a sequel, at least not yet. This game is so close to being great, only a small amount of work would be needed to bring it all the way. I still love what they were able to do with the graphics, far prettier than 'professional' games in this genre like the Star Trek Armada series.
Zeede

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendOrFoe wrote:
Thanks zeede. I was always using the mouse for the select box and going left.

You're welcome Smile

Quote:
I still think the few places they do put weapons could have better weapons. C'mon they're scientists, they can adapt Smile
Even the weapons they do have could be put to better use if they would pre-track a target before it got into actual weapon range. The slow speed of turning the turrets takes precious battle time. It would be fun to fly out to approximately main gun maximum range and watch some drone get a faceful of the stab-o-ray the instant it blunders into range. Reminds me of the big white circle that Foghorn Leghorn has painted around the dog's house. Smile

It would be nice if you could just happily mine away, knowing that the Aegis can handle itself, but I think it's just as acceptable to force the player to watch over the mother ship.
be_andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Confirmation Buttons Reply with quote

Hello folks at Moonpod. First off, thanks for the great game, and congratulations on getting this all off the ground. It bodes well for the future that this can be done.

While I'm here though, I'll add my voice to those requesting certain code adaptations.

* I hope confirmation dialogs get added for recycling and dismantling!
As it is, it is somewhat easy to accidentally hit the wrong button and scrap the wonderful spaceship you've been building since your last save.

* Also, I agree ... the turrets having to turn 270 degrees counterclockwise to get to targets on the lower right hand side seems a bit off. It is definitely something funny.

* When saving games, if a component of the time shown is comprised of only a single digit, it displays only as that digit. For instance, two after seven (and thirty seconds) would read as 7:2:30. Technically it makes sense, but I always find it jarring, because we're accustomed to reading digital clocks with trailing zeroes ie (07:02:30).

* I know the 800x600+ question has been dealt with and dismissed, as the game, being 2d, could not scale. Nevertheless, is there a technical barrier to simply increasing the playfield size, and leaving all the sprites, displays etc the same? They'd all of course look much smaller, but on the bigger monitors some of us must have, that wouldn't impact negatively on gameplay at all.

At any rate, it's all polish at this stage, because the game is an addictive blast to play.
SillyHamster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reiterate what everyone said before, great game. I had quite a bit of fun finishing it.

Suggestions for improvements:

More customizability - For the devestator design, there's enough room for multiple engines/generators/shields - except you can't. It would be cool if you could tweak those aspects more - Faster ship or better shielding? Armor to reduce the damage of each hit on your hull would also be interesting.

Dialog - I don't know if it's because I hit Q while reading through dialog, but it seems rushed, and the sentences seem to have bad grammar. (is english your first language?) I think you could improve the story's impact if you implemented dialog like they do in console RPGs, a sentence or two at a time, and slowed down the pacing of the dialog. (Did this suggestion make sense?) This one is a biggie for me, since story is what keeps me playing, and the way the dialog read sorta detracted from it. (What happens? Tell meeeee....)

Challenge - as someone else said, it can be a bit too easy if you wait out in Zone 1 and research everything. I didnt' quite do that, but I researched Plasma torpedoes early on and those made the first 3 zones too easy. Just face the incoming waves and spam torpedoes like no tomorrow. By Zone 4, I had everything researched (except alien tech), and it made it kinda boring...

Story - choices that you could make that effect the game ending. Not much room for that in Starscape, but in a different game, letting you choose between factions, making and breaking alliances/friendships, and so on.

Hope to see your next game soon. = )
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SillyHamster wrote:

Dialog - I don't know if it's because I hit Q while reading through dialog, but it seems rushed, and the sentences seem to have bad grammar.

Whilst the story was written early on in development, the initial draft of the dialogue was written by people who had been working 24-7, very late nights. Even worse, it was then proof read by more people who could do with a good night's sleep! (not an excuse, more an admission of guilt Rolling Eyes ) Every time we release a patch we have incorporated any grammar issues we have noticed or been emailed about (extra special thanks to again to those people who mailed in changes for us!). The latest version (released yesterday) had over 45 sentence restructuring improvements.

Apologies to people who have been running any older version if the dialogue affected the whole experience for you a little. One thing that occasionally affects the text is when we deliberately split tasks between paragraphs. We prefer to keep tasks or important information in one text block so players can take it in easily. If this has to affect the sentence structure a little then we think it's worth it. It is supposed to be the characters speaking after all, so technically anything goes! (It's not our fault! The characters themselves have bad grammar, honestly Very Happy )
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
(It's not our fault! The characters themselves have bad grammar, honestly :D )

I must say, this did rather colour my perceptions of the characters. Jenna seemed quite vapid, which while probably not intended, was not altogether unbelievable. Many technical geniuses have limited social aptitude.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Many technical geniuses have limited social aptitude.

that's my excuse. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: