FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
My thoughts on the game (and a few ideas)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I'd really like to see is the ability to replace the Aegis turrets with heat seeker missile launchers or replace the main cannon with plasma torpedo launchers. Make them an updgrade you can get after you get pod technology, since pod technology lets you construct heat seeker pods with unlimited missiles. They'd be more effective against small fighters, and worthless against the capitals. Or maybe add in Ion Cannon turrets, which would be devastating against the small ships that tend to swarm the Aegis.

Alternately, replace the main cannon with a heavy shield generator.

I guess it kind of bugs me from a consistency standpoint that the turrets use some kind of weapons fire that your ship can't use, but those blasts aren't appreciably stronger than any of your own weapons. Maybe make them actual Blasters....
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of another kind of side adventure type of thing. Now, first off, I don't know how long Aegis had been "lost" from Earth's perspective, but maybe between the 5 year journey for the station to make its initial dimentional drive test and its final return to Earth after Zone 5, Earth had built another similar station behind theirs (perhaps being built in tandem with Aegis at the time).

The intention could have been to have that one in reserve to use if Aegis had failed its test, and Earth may very well have thought this and launched the backup test vehicle/station when they thought Aegis was overdue. Another argument for the idea could simply be that, like the Apollo program in the '70s and the shuttle program now, every flight has a backup team that works alongside the primary team to work out kinks but to help ensure missions can get carried out.

Anyway, that could be a candidate for one possible background story upon reaching Earth the first time. When Aegis didn't return on time, they sent the backup station to run the test when the same accident befalls it.

Then after a few weeks of hasty upgrades to the Aegis, its once again sent back to grid space to find it (and again, probably recover not only more crew, but their drive components). And, every time you stumble on a Xen base or take survivors, you can learn more about that station crew's story. Clues to where its gone etc.

---

On a side note, I wonder how Bud and his peers view him now. He started out thinking this a babysitting mission, now he's like, the most important security dude ever Smile
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dallas wrote:
Just thought of another kind of side adventure type of thing. Now, first off, I don't know how long Aegis had been "lost" from Earth's perspective, but maybe between the 5 year journey for the station to make its initial dimentional drive test and its final return to Earth after Zone 5, Earth had built another similar station behind theirs (perhaps being built in tandem with Aegis at the time).

The intention could have been to have that one in reserve to use if Aegis had failed its test, and Earth may very well have thought this and launched the backup test vehicle/station when they thought Aegis was overdue. Another argument for the idea could simply be that, like the Apollo program in the '70s and the shuttle program now, every flight has a backup team that works alongside the primary team to work out kinks but to help ensure missions can get carried out.

Anyway, that could be a candidate for one possible background story upon reaching Earth the first time. When Aegis didn't return on time, they sent the backup station to run the test when the same accident befalls it.

Then after a few weeks of hasty upgrades to the Aegis, its once again sent back to grid space to find it (and again, probably recover not only more crew, but their drive components). And, every time you stumble on a Xen base or take survivors, you can learn more about that station crew's story. Clues to where its gone etc.

---

On a side note, I wonder how Bud and his peers view him now. He started out thinking this a babysitting mission, now he's like, the most important security dude ever Smile

We have a winner. Moonpod, time to program a sequel Wink
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lothar Wink

At this point, I just enjoy brainstorming stuff, but wouldn't know from what's possible to do to the exsisting game and what should be sequalized Smile

Its a good exercise in any case, especially when I'm sleep deprived but my brain won't settle down.

Anyway, I thought the above sounded good as a kind of story that weaved in and out throughout the play experience, mingled with other stories or quests altogether that took you on different tracks of discovery or investigation (and of course enemy slaughtering action with my blasters).

I'm starting to feel a hankering for doodling up some fan art or something Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf Warhead wrote:
They won't really need complicated AI, and they don't really tip the balance in your favor.

It's more work than most people imagine - just gameplay balancing alone took a huge chunk of the time on Starscape - it's not just a case of dropping things into the game and off they go, it all has a knock on effect, as I'm sure anyone who recalls the 'simple' addition of mining lasers for the Aegis, followed by scoops, followed by Aegis AI additions and tweaks, followed by people still wanting more regarding that!

Wolf Warhead wrote:
(Then again, the enemies would need an AI upgrade as well, but it doesn't seem too difficult. If, say 66% would attack you and 34% would attack the allies, you'd also have a small difficulty curve in the zone itself)

Again, nothing's simple regarding this - there's no slider which sets how much the enemy will attack, and if it was setup that way, it probably would be too simple. Enemies run away when damages, attack in groups etc in Starscape, much more complicated than most people give it credit, but I guess AI is one of those things you notice when it's absent (See complaints about Bud's handling of the Aegis turret team!). Not trying to shoot the idea down, just trying to give you an idea of what goes on behind the scenes. This is more like Starscape 2 , than Starscape mini-update Wink

da chicken wrote:
The only thing I'd really like to see is the ability to replace the Aegis turrets with heat seeker missile launchers or replace the main cannon with plasma torpedo launchers.

Ahh, now: equipment is a definite consideration for a mini-update. Funnily enough, the Aegis originally was supposed to have vertical launching missile batteries in addition to the other turrets.

Darth Dallas wrote:
When Aegis didn't return on time, they sent the backup station to run the test when the same accident befalls it.

Oh, that's nice - Would make a nice 'campaign 2'. Although you'd want to up the ante, and it would be a shame not to include the original crew in some way. We have some pretty extensive story plans that follow on from Starscape, but its up on the iar how they will be used in the future so are hardly worth discussing.

Darth Dallas wrote:

Bud was my favourite character in the original design doc, but not a lot of what's in there made it into the final game. He's actually hard as nails, and should have been quite high up in the military, but has 'issues' with certain orders he's been given. The Aegis job was essentially to get rid of him, but when the Aegis was boarded (which is hardly mentioned in the game) and the drive parts stolen he pretty much saved the day. Despite that, he feels like he was caught napping on the job, and he's veryvery angry with himself, and the Archnid after that.

Darth Dallas wrote:
I'm starting to feel a hankering for doodling up some fan art or something Smile

Yay! I love fan art and fan fiction for Starscape, it makes it all worthwhile Smile
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I've been doing a few pencil sketches lately, and I'm going to tinker around a bit with an image of the captain I thought looked cool, then trying a watercolor of it next.

Quote:
Oh, that's nice - Would make a nice 'campaign 2'. Although you'd want to up the ante, and it would be a shame not to include the original crew in some way. We have some pretty extensive story plans that follow on from Starscape, but its up on the iar how they will be used in the future so are hardly worth discussing.

JJ, Bud and the Doctor I think should definitely be integral to a return to grid space (if that's how its shaping up), and at the same time, its a cool opportunity to add a supporting cast we can latch onto in the same ways we latched onto the original crew.

Perhaps in regards to upping the ante, another idea to explore might be the mysteries behind how the enemy (or for that matter the Xen) propagate their species (could be a weakness discovered there your team can exploit - a way to curtail their advances).

Back to topic Wink

I think I brought this up before about Aegis defenses, but I thought one cool idea might be to use the drone technology. There are some blind spots where their placement could help out when the turrets are busy spinning around to a target (you could have a north and south placement).

Maybe that semi-circular pattern that's on the ship boardering the main cannon position would be another place to insert other things, probably in the 1x1 module scale (I was imagining 6 spots, NW, NE, E, W, SW & SE). I liked the idea someone mentioned of giving the station weaponry that wouldn't fire until it reached various levels of health.
Harabek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of this were to be implemented I would rather have it fully developed in a sequel as opposed to a patch. Of course, with three games in the shop it would be a while until Starscape2 comes out.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harabek wrote:
If any of this were to be implemented I would rather have it fully developed in a sequel as opposed to a patch.

Certainly a huge section of the above is only a realistic proposition for a sequel. In some ways, the existing system is very annoying too - Ideally, it should be trivial for me (as the artist) to drop in a new piece of equipment, new enemies, new missions, even new zones, but that's not the case with Starscape as it stands. In the future, we really want to pursue scripting a lot more so that we can continue to add freebies to the our games with ease, and the bulk of the effort with updates would just be testing then. This is something that even Mr Robot doesn't do particularly well, making constant updates difficult.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: