FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Battlescape be ported to Mac?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... so either way, it's the "pound" key Wink
01d55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you're using a mac, search for an application called "keycaps." It'll show you how to type all those obscure characters (like pi, umlats, ect.)
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if you have a PC use the character map

!ϧ I_33I
Johnh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or memorize the Unicode!

alt + 0131 =
alt + 0222 = - useful for a unique smiley, ala: =
alt + 0188 =
alt + 0189 =
alt + 0464 = - also useful for unique smileys: =. Also good for unique 1337 5p34|<

[EDIT:]
oh wait, you probably can't do that on a mac. PCs are better I guess. >=)
[/EDIT]
vitality15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one weird way could be to go into "System Preferences", "International", "Inputs Menu"(or something like that), and choose "U.S."

use that input type, and shift+3 should be '#'.
just do it again and choose "U.K." to return it to normal. (Just undo what you did in the first part)
Sartan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You suggest sticking with Ambrosia for Macintosh selections. However, these aren't mutually exclusive choices. Ambrosia is well known for porting other developers' games to the Macintosh for them, Darwinia or Escape Velocity for example. You could try contacting them to initiate something like this.
karolos

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I am using a Mac and I read carefully your answer concerning porting games to the Mac.

I think there is a "simple" solution. Why not ask to a serious Mac programmer to make the port? You will not expend time making yourself the work. In the website Gamerproducer.net, there is a statistics selling section about some sharewares games. One of them Crystal Cave gold have been port to the mac and they paid 150 dollars (they sold 74 copies so they get extra money). I don't known how much work it was to make it, but you could considere this way. If Starscape was near completion, it should not take to much time to get it finished I guess...

Since the Mac have Intel processor, do you think it should make easier port to the Mac?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karolos wrote:
Why not ask to a serious Mac programmer to make the port?

We have actually talked to a few Mac programmers, but none of them had experience in 3D. Even Starscape uses 3D accelaration. This might still be an option though - there are people out there who are capable of doing it, it would just cost money. One thing we have already sorted out - is a person to give us programming support on the Mac should we go that route.

karolos wrote:
Crystal Cave gold have been port to the mac and they paid 150 dollars

Anyone who offered to port a game like Starscape for $150 would either be insane, or a hobbyist programmer wanting to work on something. No offence intended to Crystal Cave when I say this - but Starscape is a massively more complicated game, Mr. Robot is a ton more complicated than that, and Battlescape will dwarf them both. We only like to deal with proffessionals, and so the money would be a lot more, but it is within reason for us to go that route.

karolos wrote:
they sold 74 copies so they get extra money

If I thought we would only sell 74 copies of a game on Mac then it would definitely not be worth it. Luckily, I think Mac sales would be much better than that.

karolos wrote:
Since the Mac have Intel processor, do you think it should make easier port to the Mac?

To some extent, but the intel/powerpc issues were pretty much sorted out on Mac Starscape, and I doubt they would be an issue for us in the future. the main problems we had were interfacing with the OS - controllers, sound etc. Starscape was largely up and running on a Mac before we were forced to abandon the idea.

I sound all doom and gloom, but future games have a much higher chance of ending up on Macs due to the renderer we are switching to. Starscape still has a chance, because it has an OpenGl renderer, but we'd probably have to get someone else involved to sort that out. Mr. Robot is pretty unlikely - it uses a D3D renderer exclusively, the only chance of porting that is to convert it to use the new renderer - a massive undertaking.

Possibly the only other caveat is what happens to the Mac gaming market over the next 2 years as people move to intel Macs. there is a chance it will just die as everyone dual boots to play games. It could even go the other way - Windows people buying Macs to run Vista, but then using MacOS a bit more and then wanting some games to play on it without dual booting. It will be interesting to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: