FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Lost Nanomeks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Lost Nanomeks

Mr. Robot User Adventure: Lost NanomeksLost Nanomeks

15 little Nanomeks got lost on the Eidolon. They need your help to savely reach the teleporter. You have to save at least 10 Nanomeks to successfully complete this level.

CURRENT VERSION: 1
Slyh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same notes:

This is only 1 level I made around christmas last year, even before there was an option to upload User Adventures available. My intention was to learn Mr.Robot's public API while also learning lua. I lost interest when only about 5% was still to be done. Today I found the time to finish it. I hope you'll enjoy.

This level has some non-standard behavior. Nanomeks for example get killed by fire and can be teleported, which they can not in the original game. There is also some very non-standard lua-based puzzle in the western part of the level. You'll have to figure it out on your own. :-)

I guess this level is hard, but fair, hopefully. Most other user adventures available are a lot more difficult. :)

Around christmas I also made a version of Pong using Mr.Robot's lua scripting capabilities. As it was no joy to play at all I'll not finish it, but may release the source if somebody is interested. Screenshot

I'm happy about your feedback.
(If I made grammatical mistakes in the in-game text, please don't hesitate to tell me.)
punman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 'non standard puzzle' area, Asimov will fall into about half the blocks he jumps on. If there's no way to correct this using lua (mabye theres some type of invisible solid object that could move along with the blocks) you could try to restrict Asimov from jumping on top of the blocks. Making the half crates into double-stacked whole crates would prevent asimov from getting on top. So would putting in a low ceiling, but both of those might restrict view too much. Replacing the half crates with fire pillars or some other damaging object might do the trick.

Asimov's energon count could be overriden to show the number of lemmings .. er.. nanomeks. For example, start him with 15 energon and make him lose one everytime a nanomek dies, or give him one energon for every time a mek reaches the teleporter.

I love how the crushed engineering blocks are stacked with crazy rotations!
Slyh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punman wrote:
In the 'non standard puzzle' area, Asimov will fall into about half the blocks he jumps on. If there's no way to correct this using lua (mabye theres some type of invisible solid object that could move along with the blocks) you could try to restrict Asimov from jumping on top of the blocks. Making the half crates into double-stacked whole crates would prevent asimov from getting on top. So would putting in a low ceiling, but both of those might restrict view too much. Replacing the half crates with fire pillars or some other damaging object might do the trick.

This is a known bug (either of Mr.Robot or my level :-)). Unfortunately there is no transparent dynamic object I could move along. Fixing this issue using lua would be quite complicated (if possible at all). And I do not want to prevent the player from jumping on the crates, as is would look (and probably feel) not correct.

Currently I can live with this drawback of my level. Maybe there is a fix of this issue for Mr.Robot some time, as I noticed a similar problem in another user adventure, IIRC.

But thanks for your comment on this!

Some technical background: The crates are position 2/256th of a block's size below their normal position. This would normally make them fall through the floor. So my lua script basically (re)positions every block each time the script is called. (As the script is called before a frame is drawn, but after the "physics" operations were done, this works just fine.) Unfortunately sometimes Asimov slips between the crates due to this trick.
I have to position the creates some pixels lower as otherwise the crates would be visible through the left and right "border" floor tiles (on top of which the arrows are shown).

punman wrote:
Asimov's energon count could be overriden to show the number of lemmings .. er.. nanomeks. For example, start him with 15 energon and make him lose one everytime a nanomek dies, or give him one energon for every time a mek reaches the teleporter.

I really wanted to do this, but don't know how. There is a lua command which allows taking away energon from the player. But there seems to be no way to give energon to the player -- at least no way I know about. Please, Fost or Poobear, correct me if I'm wrong.

punman wrote:
I love how the crushed engineering blocks are stacked with crazy rotations!

They are nice, aren't they? I basically only did this level to have fun with the stamper, to be honest. :-)

Thank you for your comments! I really love to hear from people who enjoy the stuff I create. :)
Slyh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you beat the level, by the way?
punman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, on my third try. I wasn't fast enough to save all 15 though.
Slyh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have enough time to save all of them easily.

Hint:
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Try to make them first run in circle so you have enough time to set up the level. Then let them go. Just like in Lemmings. :-)
punman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but
Spoiler (highlight to read):
you need the half-block to divert them as soon as they come out of the door and you need a whole-block from above the door to keep them in the circle. It takes me too many tries to make the 2-blocks over, 1 block up to a MOVING Shocked platform jump and the first few guys go splash before i have a chance to round them up.

Curse my metal body. I wasn't fast enough. It's all my fault.
Zharmad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, active! It took me about ten tries to be quick enough to save 15..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> User Adventures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: