FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
How important is Sandy Bridge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: How important is Sandy Bridge? Reply with quote

There is a new range of Corei3/5/7 processors and they incorporate a GPU into the same silicon as the CPU. Intel had a bad rep for years with its cheap integrated CPU's, only recently have they become 'almost' acceptable. These new chips, in theory, should be even cheaper to use (one piece of silicon with cpu and gpu rather than a separate gpu chip). So that means they could start showing up in laptops, netbooks and cheap off the shelf PCs.

As long as you get the i5 or better you get a system with about 50% of the performance of a reasonable new stand alone graphics card, so it runs Crysis at playable levels, World of Warcraft, Sims3, any casual or indie game. The i3 graphics bit is under powered sadly.

Valve think this could be great for establishing a minimum base line for PC games i.e. if people have at least a Corei5 v2 system then everyone could ensure every game made runs in a playable fashion on it.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/36681/Valve-hails-new-Intel-processor-a-game-changer

The thing that annoys me is I wish Intel could get more horse power in there, they always seem to produce promising, super cheap cpu/gpu hardware, but it's never quite as fast as you would like.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/processors/363982/intel-sandy-bridge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: