FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
The woman in black
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: The woman in black Reply with quote

What drew my attention to this film was the Hammer name, I watched so many of those as a kid with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee - twins of evil, Horror of Dracula, Quatermass and the pit.

Before I'd seen the Hammer film link I'd been put off the film because it features Harry Potter in the lead role and that's just a hard character to shake off, plus its only a 12 so probably not scary right?

Danial Radcliff is actually pretty good, but I did find myself thinking about Harry Potter now and again Smile It's also a very old school, very scary in a good way, classic ghost story. It shows the failings of film classification, there is no sex/swearing/gore and therefore it gets a low rating, but I don't know many 12 year-olds who'd come away from this film without having quite a few nightmares Smile

Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminded me of those classic xmas ghost stories that the BBC sometimes show that I really love. The ones in red are my favourites, the signalman is the winner here though.

They were all done by the BBC and if you like a good ghost story do check them out if you can find them.

THE HAUNTED AIRMAN
Dramatisation of Dennis Wheatley's tale about a recuperating military pilot who sees frightening visions.
Read more about the ghost story

MR JAMES: A VIEW FROM A HILL
Another chance to see this classic ghost story. When Mr Fanshawe borrows his host's binoculars, he sees an unsettling sight on aptly-named Gallows Hill - or does he?
Read more about the drama

MR JAMES: THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER
11.40pm-12.30am
Robert Hardy stars as an ambitious cleric who decides to advance his career by murdering his archdeacon.
Great Lives: Listen to Muriel Gray discuss MR James

MR JAMES: NUMBER 13
Greg Wise stars in this unsettling tale in which a traveller finds that the hotel he's booked into conceals a supernatural secret.

MR JAMES: THE TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS
Michael Bryant stars as a historian who finds the clue to hidden treasure in an old stained-glass window.

MR JAMES: WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU
Jonathan Miller's chilling adaptation of Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad, starring Michael Horden as a hapless professor who finds a mysterious whistle on the bleak Norfolk coast.

MR JAMES: LOST HEARTS
A powerful drama about Mr Abney, an elderly and excitable black magician, who preys sinisterly upon children.

THE SIGNALMAN
Adaptation of the Charles Dickens story, in which a hooded figure seems to warn a lonely signalman of an unspoken danger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: