FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Starcraft Breakdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome Total War was really fun to play, theres nothing quite like watching elephants fling roman soldiers all over the place.

Im currently having fun with the Evil Genuis demo, which is both genuis and evil in its construction: i hate games that draw me in and then leave me hanging for a month. Well worth the dl in my opinion, the game is well put together, as well as amusing at the same time.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLore wrote:
1. You only tried singleplayer on the beta, AKA "Tutorial", the AI has Easy difficulty settings, and can be defeated easily in most players sleep.

Don't confuse me with a hard core uber player Wink i'm sure playing online can get extremely intense and sophisticated. Sadly, like most people I had my *** handed to me <with accompanying schoolyard insults> so many times in various online endevours I don't bother much anymore and tend to focus on the single player aspects. The demo level took me a few tries to master and in the end I found the way to do it was 1. build everything 2. upgrade everything 3. make lots of everything 4. drag them round the map. Not really much fun, maybe the final game will have better structured missions where you can't do that, it makes you wonder though.

TrueLore wrote:
2. There is a stratagey to the game, massing units and dragging them around that map is not a very good one though Razz

Worked for me (offline) Wink

TrueLore wrote:
4. Most, if not all of the voices are to be changed on the final release.

Thank goodness for that !

TrueLore wrote:
It took me a while to figure out that you CAN infact move the camera around like in the pictures and prefeiws. Hold Alt, move mouse around Razz

Well that is something at least, but I didn't really mean that, I was refering to the way the game is played. Try the "Rome:TotalWar" demo to get the idea. The battles are epic but more realistically timed, mostly your sweeping across the battlefield assessing the landscape and watching the enemies, deciding when to withdraw, when to spring your reinforcements, etc. Kind of like how I would expect the general to spend his time, making the important decisions and marveling at the carnage. Not - selct, click, select click, make new building, select click, upgrade, upgrade, select click, ad infinitum. Even the DOW producer said "you choose the units and get them to the fight, we take care of the rest" - which sounded like you played at a higher level, but apparently not. Now I must just repair that tank and make sure my barracks is fully upgraded... Wink
TrueLore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In battle there are plenty of things to think of like;

-should i get my units into assault to tie up their ranged combat so they cant shoot my people?
-If a tank comes around the corner and all you have is infantry, should i run or stay there and die? (i prefer life thankyou Razz )
-If my troops lose moral, should they stay there and wait for reinforcements, or retreat to get their moral back?
-If my enemy's commander attacks me, i have to counter it with my own commander, with covering fire from my troops, and/or Large tanks/walkers that can kill a commander
-If my enemy troops have flamers, its best not to get too close
-should i make some artillery to bombard the enemies base or should i use that to make dreanaughts?
-Should i have my squad of troops run for the cover (Crater, trench, ect.), or hold themoff here?

And many many more things to think about.

Playing against playes on the internet i dotn really upgrade taht much, besides Heavy Weopons upgrade to get more heavy weopons into my squad. And DoW is like Rome Total war in the way dreanaughts run throyugh infantry litteraly tearing them into peices and flinging their lifeless bodies across the map, Orbital Bombardment is like a NUKE flying down and maknig an ENTIRE army fly in all directions. and so forth

Id type more but i GTG now Razz
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those strategies you mention are great and i'm sure they apply in multiplayer, i'm just concerned that in the brief single player mission I had access to you didn't actually need to do any of that.

1. place all buildings.
2. upgrade all buildings.
3. make as many units of as many types as you can, group them all together. NB: this will take a while and you will get the odd attack, but your waiting troops can handle that, you might also need to grab a couple of checkpoints near you just to keep everything humming along nicely. Not a problem though as you need room to park your increasing numbers of waiting troops somewhere anyway.
4. drag them round the map killing everything and grabbing the checkpoints along the way, keep building units though just to keep your armada fully stocked.
5. win (yawn).

Maybe as you say the beta was set to ludicrously easy mode though, I think i'll wait for the official demo before rushing to buy it just so I can check (I really hope there will be a demo). I was hoping this would be the RTS to rekindle the passion I felt playing TA, Starcraft, C&C:RedAlert and Warcraft2. There is still a chance though I suppose.
TrueLore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single player Demo has been released, try it out for yourself Razz
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the fileplanet link, be warned it is 300MB:

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/145461.shtml

I'v only played it about 10mins, so cannot comment much if things have improved yet, but I did watch the impressive intro video 3 times. I love Warhammer40k and that video really captures the spectacle of the setting and also its ultimate futility.

In the future, there is only war.
jollyreaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I that turned me off, I'm really wary of over hyped games after being burnt so often in the past. All the screen shots, preview vids and commentary focused on the in your face cinematics of the game i.e. highly detailed units, crazy animations of commanders wielding hammers and chaos marines being thrown left and right. I didn't really know what to expect from the game but was quite excited, how was such close up action controlled, did you just have just one squad, was it 3rd person, could you record a battle and then watch replays of it even? None of the above, it was all hyped, the game has a standard rts camera and requires you to view the battlefield from way back to actually play. Ground

Very good point made here. There's someting magical about watching a well-assembled army wading into battle and kicking some tail. Makes it all the sweeter when you get to see your legions of death stomping enemies in great detail. How close to the action do you think Battlescape will get?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jollyreaper wrote:
How close to the action do you think Battlescape will get?

This is something we've discussed a lot - and I still can't give you a concrete answer on it.

Battlescape works on a greater scale than most rts games (certainly it's on a bigger scale than Dawn of War) so you really want to play the game from quite far back. Remeber - you are controlling individual squads in Battlescape, not individual units.

Any work done to allow you to zoom in more and more would be totally superfluous to the game (as, if we are honest with ourselves, it is in all RTS games). However, we recognise that people like to see what is going on at the human scale of things. It's eyecandy for the sake of it, but we have some good ideas. We will probably do some work on it if the core components are implemented on time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: