FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Go Starscape!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Go Starscape! Reply with quote

It's a fact: Starscape is amazing. In all truth, I can't remember a time when I have gone from demo to full version so quickly (and painlessly)! I can only describe it as "Privateer, but better". It has been a long time since I have played a decent space game, and this is a refreshing forray into the genre.

And, at the risk of sounding sappy: Seeing such a fantastic game created by a small, independent team gives an aspiring programmer - such as myself - hope for the future. It's nice to know that it is entriely possible to create a commercial quality game in a limited time span with very few people. Another entry to the "dream job" list, I suppose Very Happy.

On a completely unrelated note: Would you the developers ever consider releasing the source code for Starscape once the game (and the engine) has lived its commercial life, or when *hint hint* Starscape 2 is released? I would love to learn how Starscape ticks, and perhaps gain some insight for projects of my own.

And one last question: Having had experience at professional developers, what sort of education/experience is looked for in a programmer? In other words, what I can demonstrate that will perhaps get me a job? Can I come work for Moonpod? Razz
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much benefit the source code of Starscape would be, of more use would be the inhouse libraries we made to handle rendering, sound and input. Problem is they are worth quite a lot to us in terms of programmer time to create. Plus, they would need tidying up and documenting to be useful, maybe one day Smile

If you want to get a job in development as a programmer, you need one or more of the following;

a) a degree in computer studies or a related programming degree
b) some demo work relevent to the project you are being hired for i.e. openGl or DirectX game demo, physics code, etc.
c) go in as a tester and impress someone from the inside

If you really want the job then just be enthusiastic, show them you are REALLY interested in games and keep trying. One of the big things they look for is your ability to work in a team, this means not acting cocky and admitting you can't know everything. I think sometimes peoples nervousness and enthusiasm combine to make them seem a bit over-confident in interviews and that can put people off. In a way its more important than qualifications, they don't want to hire someone that will disrupt the rest of the team (which could be 15-25 people).

Make sure you are familiar with a range of current games, especially the ones the company you approach have made. Check out their website and try and get hold of games they have made. Find out as much about the job before hand as possible, then focus some revision on it. If you know they are making a racing game and need a network programmer then that should guide your research.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: