FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Suggestions for updates,expansion packs, or new versions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have the ability to design my own ship. In each class of hull there would be a limited number of pods availible to arrange as we see fit. More blaster pods and less cargo pods? or visa versa.

Also the ability to turn off/cancel the stations tractor beam would be nice. I don't like the way the enemies tend to warp in just as you're ready to leave. Ok, so you've just hit 'R' to go inside your station and the ememy has just come in. Once the tractor beam has got you, there's no turning back to fight. You have to wait till it pulls in you then come back out, and as we all know that takes time. During that time the enemy could be a lot closer to you and your station. Shocked
Gemyni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Request:]
Given that Moonpod has already stated that there will be no further significant changes in Starscape (1), I thought it would be useful if we directed our energies toward what we'd like to see in Starscape 2, should it occur. I suspect that it will, given the popularity of Starscape 1.
However, I was hoping to guide this thread down a direction more productive to the writers and programmers at Moonpod. Specifically, what you'd like to see, (in a very specific way), and ideally an example of something similar, perhaps in a different game, with a description of what to keep, what to change. For organization purposes we should probably keep to one idea per post, as this keeps things clean, and encourages in-depth descriptions.
(Example in next post.)
Gemyni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Drag and drop equipment mounting.]
The first games that come to mind are Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising and X-Com 3: Apocalypse. The equipment screen looks much like Starscape's does now, but there's a pool of available items in a window at the bottom. To equip a blaster, you click a blaster from the pool, drag it over to a weapon slot, and release the mouse. Done. To remove items, you drag them off the ship and back into the pool.
ragnarok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a "cargo pod"
like missle and bomb bays, but the cargo pod increases the amount of elements you can collect before returning to the aegis. it would allow you to build a more mining oriented ship.

aegis shields... to keep in line with the turret style, I suggest that you allow station shields that only protect a corner of the station, making you build 4 to get 360 protection. and to ****** people off, make the shields easily destroyed if the aegis health drops below 20 or 30%. that would force players to rebuild them often, depending how well they defend the aegis.

as you save more personnel... I realize you aren't going to go back and change starscape, but I think this is a good suggestion for the next game. as you save more people, add more people to the inner station cutscenes. by the time I rescued all of the personnel, it would have been cool to see every interior ship seen to be teeming with peoplein the background

just some basic suggestions for starscape2... which I expect to be out soon. or else the walrus gets it!
debug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the game!!! Please make a Starcape 2! Very Happy

This is gonna be long... bear with me Razz
Suggestions:

- More music please! The music in the game is great, but when you play it for 5 hours straight it does tend to get a little bit old Confused
- Strafing please!
- The ability to add more than one engine or generator to your ship.
- Different armor types so your ship can take a little more of a beating or possible forgo using shields because you have good enough armor.
- More types of weapons (main guns). Tyrian comes to mind here. There were like 30,35 different weapons in it I think. I know that might be a little too much, but maybe 10 or so would be good.
- More Nova Bomb type weapons. Like a gravity bomb type that sucked in the enemies and crushed them and a big nuke like one that gets rid of enemy bullets.
- Different ship classes. Like mining ships and light fighters, or cargo pods and mining lasers or something similar to be able to make the mining ships, and maybe make it where the ships mass affects how fast it turned and moved so you could make a light strike fighter if you wanted.
- More techs to research in general. Like maybe more that you can find to research so you will still have stuff to research after the first 2 or 3 zones, or make it where your scientists will have a breakthrough in research after you get to a certain point that will give you more levels to research in your different techs.
- Please make it where the Aegis can hold more minerals, or make it where you can have a build/research que so you don't have to jump to hyperspace every time you finish something but aren't finished mining.
- Maybe a little bit more variation in the backgrounds of the different nodes in a zone so it looks like you are actually moving around in the zone.
- I know that this was due to story, but maybe in the next one you could make more friendly/enemy aliens to find and talk/trade/fight with. And maybe have planets/stations to go to where you could buy techs you might not be able to research.
- Maybe make it where you can't actually research all of the techs in one pass like Master of Orion 2. Would really add to the replay value. Or maybe make it where the actual tech list is somewhat randomized each new game in what you can learn/purchase from aliens so you would need to play more than once to see everything.
- Some mining ships/drones that could be built after you have rescued some of the missing crew. They would need to be protected since they wouldn't be fighters. Or maybe tractor beams for the Aegis to be able to harvest since it's already trigger happy on the asteroids Razz (I just love watching it bust out the big lvl 3 cannon on one little asteroid Very Happy) Maybe make it where they are not as efficient as doing it yourself, but would help you get stocked up faster.
- A bit smarter AI. Was kind of funny the first time I upgraded a devastator with 6 lvl 4 Ion cannons and just watched as a huge mass of enemy ships just flew right into my wave of destruction... Maybe they sould try to avoid flying directly into the beams even though they are kind of pretty... Razz Maybe make it where the spots they teleport in at are controled so they will try to surround you or something?
- If a really big group of enemies is at your location maybe they might pump up the classes of the ships they send at you? If they loose 10 waves of little fighters maybe they sould send in more of the big guns hmmm?
- Oh! More weapon groups so I can have my guns, my missles, and my bombs all firing seperately since the bombs and missles are limited.
- Definately like the anime style to the game. Like the cel shadedness (is that a word?) also. Please keep this Very Happy
- More epic boss battles. None of them seemed really tough to me for their size. Haven't fought the zone 5 boss yet, but the other 4 seemed a little too easy to me. Maybe have enemy ships to have to fight off as well as the boss?
- a seperate key for turbo boosting your engines instead of double tapping forward and maybe a super boost so you can really zip across the nodes, but make it where you can't turn or you have no shields after you stop or something so you will have to think about using it to keep from runing into an asteroid or getting blasted by enemy ships.
- More enemy mini boss ships with big frickin' lasers Very Happy I was kinda miffed with the fact that only the mining ships really tried to blast me outta the sky with one.
- More upgrade possibilities for the Aegis. Shields/Tractors/Different turrets and whatnot.
- Maybe the ability to store your ships, just not in the 3 bay slots instead of having to dismantle them when they are full.
- The Instant Action is cool, being able to pick what you were going up against and what was on your ship would be much cooler. Maybe make it where you could only pick enemies/techs that you had already gone up against/researched in the game. You could even pick the boss ships if you had beaten them already.
- For the love of god please add multiplayer! Co-op, deathmatch, MMO, whatever.... anything will be extremely cool! Maybe a race mode where 2 players have to race to find an object hidden in one of the zones. Each player would have their own Aegis and would have to go around researching and upgrading and occasionaly blasting each other into space dust while searcing for the object all while being harassed by the many nasties populating the zones.
- Maybe some missions where you have to defend/rescue something/someone... Like the ships you rescue your missing shipmates from. It seemed kind of weird to me that even in zone 4 and 5 there was a crashed ship for me to rescue that wasn't already found and stripped clean by the enemy even though the zone was swarming with them.

And I'm spent... Razz

Actually it's 3 in the morning here and I'm too tired to think of anything else... maybe I'll come up with more tomorrow Very Happy

I applaud you if you actually read through my whole post Shocked

Goober, Fost, and Poo Bear I want to thank you for making such an excelent game. If it is any indication of your talent then I can't wait to see your next game and wish you the best of luck in your ventures Smile I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a good while now.

I think I might get my old 486 running again so I can go play Tyrian and Solar Winds again Mr. Green
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lots of great suggestions, I think the big thing for a Starscape2 would be mutliplayer definitely. The game we are currently working on is an RTS which takes us into a whole new genre. I think it is important to try and develop a wide range of games so I hope you will give it a try when it is ready. Sadly it wont be done until early next year, I wish games didn't take so long to write Smile
Shy1117

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

- Oh! More weapon groups so I can have my guns, my missles, and my bombs all firing seperately since the bombs and missles are limited.

- a seperate key for turbo boosting your engines instead of double tapping forward and maybe a super boost so you can really zip across the nodes, but make it where you can't turn or you have no shields after you stop or something so you will have to think about using it to keep from runing into an asteroid or getting blasted by enemy ships.

I too would like to see more weapon groups.

I especially like that 'turbo boosting' idea. It could take you a great distance quickly, but use up a lot of power (from all systems). ie: drained shields, batteries, unable to fire weapons that require xx amount of power (level 1 only)?

More Ideas:
Find more crewmen throughout the nodes and give them more jobs.
- Asign crew to the Aegis to assist with repairs during battles and to ships when docked.
- Asign crew to the docking bay to gain more ship techs: larger ships, more ship types.
- Asign crew to Navigation to speed up travel: jump more than one node per turn.
- the more crew you asign the faster the repairs, more techs, faster travels, etc.

How about rare giant rocks of ore. You wouldn't have to shoot these into smaller pieces. Your gravity beam (or a high level grav. beam) can break it down as well as pull it in. The giant rock will shrink as you break it down.
C.Love

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through most of the suggestions, and I think a sequel would be well recieved.

Among the highlights I'd like to 'vote' towards:
-Definitely cargo pods for mining jobs, and maybe a new grav beam that slightly increased element yield by a % (maybe one the size of the level 1 beam for space management).

-Some better engine/Generator design. the level 2 and 3 engines/generators were fairly obsolete when you could simply research level 4's. I would suggest fifth level engines/generators/shields that takes up 2x2 so that you had to make a final, high end choice between defense (shields), offense (generators), or speed (engines) in your ship configuration.

-Improved hull designs: Things like dedicated missile/bomb pods (only the launchers would fit in them); double-wing mounted weapon pods (eg, 2x2 wing mounted weapon pods); hulls with a mix of 2x1 and 1x1 weapon pods; and hulls with more or less internal space for non-weapon equipment.

-New equipment such as extra armor plating for your hull (internal pod space), new weapon selections (such as drones that have a 360 range of fire and shoot on their own), and other wild stuff that would look good on the screen. Mine laying capability would be cool too, a sort of 'low tech' Bomb idea.

-better Aegis upgrades, including shielding, missile turrets, hull upgrades, and element-storage capacity upgrades

-Improved Research and Development options, most particularly being able to have multiple research or build jobs going simultaneously. For example, with an initial 5 crewpersons, you could set 1 to research a beam weapon, one to research engines, one to research generators, one to build a rocket, and another to build a battery. This would make finding crew particularly important in that you could increase your production rate and keep them busy.

-Multiple 'danger zone' nasties other than the dragon-worms.

-Spell checker for the person writing the storyline parts =P

-Different hull graphic styles, perhaps ones that are more 'alien' in appearance.

-Cloaking (there's an idea you haven't used yet), disabling weapons (EMP?), time warp tech (slows time, such as enemy movement, projectile speed, asteroid drifting, etc), and other wierd sci-fi stuff.

-Jenna in a swimsuit (Okay, I just thought I'd throw this one out there)

-more zones! Tougher enemies! Badder bosses! =D other good stuff.

-Limited technology development. Was a little.. disappointing that I could simply sit in Zone 1 and research 80% of the games tech and proceed through with stuff I probably shouldn't have developed until zone 3 or 4.

-Definitely automatic repair of the home-ship.. They shouldn't need a flyboys permission to keep the Aegis from blowing up.

-Automatic research. Set crew to a particular research job such as beams, and they will automatically begin work on the next highest beam weapon after the first is finished. This would work great in combination with multiple simultaneous research jobs idea, and make finding the crewpersons much more important.

All in all, a very good game. I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.Love wrote:

-Spell checker for the person writing the storyline parts =P

Hey! Evil or Very Mad not fair Evil or Very Mad Laughing New rule, if anyone sees a spelling mistake or grammar error from now on they have to post it or email it to us.

A lot of work has been done to fix these errors and the situation should be pretty solid with version 1.3.

People like Weeble really helped out early on by telling us what was wrong, if you don't tell us, we can't fix it!

Rather than a spell checker, a big pot of coffee might be a better idea Very Happy
deleon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... rather htan a cargo pod, how about the opposite? Your cargo space is determined by how much empty space your ship contains? That would make more sense than a specialized pod. If you load up on weapons and so forth, you have less space to store minerals; if you have just the bare essentials, you have more space for minerals.
And your weight should increase as you mine, making the ship respond more slowly just as it would if you loaded on extra equipment. So rather than unloading only when you were full, you'd unload when you reached the "looks like a fish, flies like an eagle, *boom* steers like a cow" point.

An idea for a potential ship... something wide and thin... space for 8 or 10 weapons pods, but they're only one block deep so you can only use lower level weapons or maybe some higher level weapons of a type not present in the first iteration of the game. Very lightweight, very fast, but if it hits something just on one of the extended sides, the weapons can be damaged and fail. (eg, you're flying along in afterburner mode and your wingtip smacks into an asteroid... byebye to the outer 3 weapons... and your steering is damaged, too, so you can emulate the aegis weapons and only turn in one direction.. or at least turn slowly in the other)

and for a new kind of weapon... how about a chainsaw. Or rather, an energy saw... something that, when active, floats in front of you, spinning, and chewing up whatever hits it
thegreatdg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the game and thought I'd babble a few things that I'd like to see in the sequel.

1: Bigger ship hulls, something along the size of that first "capital" ship you encounter that drops mines, it would be slow, but you could have an automatic turret on it or some such.

2: I'd like to see the sequel played from a different perspective, while playing the role of fighter pilot to a science ship is nice, I'd think it would be niftier to be in the military, on a patrolship or some such as earth space is invaded.

3: Side or back mounted weapons points, even if it's only a 1x1 slot, it would be nice to have a blaster for those times you REALLY need to get away.

4: Shields for your mothership, even if it's only to prevent the damage when you accidentally overshoot the the landing area and nudge the ship.

5: More variety of evil space space critters, fighting explosive worms is fun, but variety is always good.
Heebie-Jeebies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now here's an idea that could be implemented in a big patch:

-Make all ships able to hold FAR FAR FAR less minerals, but have "mineral bays" that could be put in a ship (similar to missile/bomb bays). This would greately encourage the whole concept of having a seperate mining ship - even though rockets sucked at mining, I still used my rocket ship while mining since it was the most capable of handling threats that may warp in.
Val

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.Love wrote:

I'll second this

and I pretty much agree with most of what was said, though I know most of it cant be implemented or project could go way over budget/be big in size/long in development, id like to see some of them at least.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.Love wrote:

Some of the emails we receive about Jenna are quite scary indeed Shocked

Honestly, she's a very respectable girl...
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Some of the emails we receive about Jenna are quite scary indeed Shocked

Ok, I promise, I'll stop sending them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: