FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Warhammer 40k
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Warhammer 40k Reply with quote

Am i the only one that can see the resemblance in the tanks compared to the game warhammer 40k? those tanks look VERY similar.

oh, and hey... im new.

-sX
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it was a concious decision on our part, but WH40k and a few others liked the look of WorldWar1 tanks I guess, lets you make something people recognize without it being a boring duplicate of a current military unit. So if you can say anything you can say "hey, those look like WW1 tanks!! The British Imperial War Museum are gonna be ******".

http://www.clash-of-steel.co.uk/gallery/pages/iwm_ww1tank.html

I love it when people take some point in history and then evolve things along different lines, I think it is called "steam punk". A ScienceFiction sub-genre that takes as its jumping off-point the idea that 20th or 21st century technologies can be transliterated into the Victorian era. As such, it is a sub-genre of AlternateHistory, although the name is a take-off on CyberPunk. Existing novels are usually set sometime between 1820 and 1890. Some representative novels are:

TheDifferenceEngine, by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling
AntiIce, by Stephen Baxter
sabin-x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... well i dont know if you've ever played warhammer 40k yourself, but it is very similar with what you're goin for in this game. you build "units". "units" have certain requirements and cost a certain amount of points. when a match starts, each side tries to get as close to the "point total" as possible and gets to decide wheather to "blow their load" by putting all their units down, or "shock" some in later as reinforcements. if you haven't looked into it, the game can give you some good examples of how to balance yourself.

-sX
Ixian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The designers of 40K wanted a very Gothic and gritty feel so they used a lot of WW1 imagery (gritty downbitten trooper and old fashioned almost antique WW1 tanks.
SqurielLord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play 40k, im a tau player. Our tank are coolio& future-lookings. IG honestly looks like a WWII army, execpt WWII guns were better than S3 AP- flashlights.... pulse rifles are S5 AP5! Smile

Sorry.
but thsi thread is about 40k, right?

Sqrls.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: