FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Two questions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Two questions... Reply with quote

Greetings programs! Thank you for the VERY wonderful game. I do plan on registering, but have two questions that need answered before I can go through with it.

First, is there any way to register without using PayPal? Perhaps there's an address where I can send a check to? I really do not like PayPal's track record on security and privacy issues, and would prefer to avoid them even more than a batallion of S****y Squirrels. Please, please, please tell me there is another way to register that I just did not see. I'd even be willing to pay a $5 surcharge for the added human requirement.

Second, if (and when) I do register the PC version, will I have to pay again to register the Mac version once it is ready? I'd really prefer to play on my Mac but will take what I can get.

Please let me know as soon as you can. Not only have you succeeded in creating a form of digital h****n more powerful than EQ, it is even more finely crafted than the new Zelda incarnation on the Cube. I must play more than 20 minutes at a time... Must play... Must play...

Thank you once again,
Rovylern
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re PayPal:
-------------------------
We are looking into alternative payment systems that would also enable more varied payment options. However it looks like it's going to be a long time before we can get them in place. Sorry I can't give you any better news.

As far as PayPal is concerned, we had read many stories about them too, but our experience so far has only been positive, and we haven't had any negative feedback from customers purchasing the game though them. Perhaps things have improved quite a lot since eBay aquired them?
-------------------------

As far as multiple platform registrations are concerned, this has come up before regarding linux. At the time we had not even made our minds up whether to put the effort into other platforms. As we have not had chance to discuss the issue, we probably won't have an official line on it until we release on Mac.
Rovylern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, since I disagree with PayPal's privacy policy (i.e. lack of an Opt-out method for their credit card junk mail), I'm pretty much a***d out, as it has been so eloquently stated in another post. B****r. That really blows. I really want to register the game. Crying or Very sad

I'm willing to trust their security, but I still get too much dead tree credit caard offers, and DON'T want any more. Mad

Regarding the multi-platform registration, since you are obviously hard at work on the Mac version, perhaps this post could serve as a spark to ignite the pile of dry kindling and black powder that is that topic? I'd much rather support Mac gaming, as it is the only thing holding many people I know to the Windows world view. Well, that and the outragous prices for Mac hardware, but that's fodder for another board. Mr. Green

Please, take the time to set a plan into motion soon on the multi-platform issue. Having the decision set one way or the other will not change my intent to register, just my time frame.

Thank you for your time.

Rovylern

P.S. Of course, I may have to just toss the dice, and hope I don't roll the Dark One's eyes.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to post about this topic (that's what these forums are for!) I suspect of course that everyone will ask for platform flexibility.

I'd be interested to hear of game examples where this is the case (I can think of two, but believe most are not). The only real consideration for us is the cost of converting to a platform (it's not easy!), which prompts this question: What would most people prefer> a Mac version that has a separate licence Very Happy ? or no Mac version at all? Sad

Like I said, we haven't really thought about it much yet, we want to concentrate on actually getting it done first Very Happy but as soon as we have an idea what we are doing we'll let everyone know.
Rovylern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonofa.... Ok, given those two choices (and the subsequent guilt I feel for having not considered that aspect), I'd much rather pay seperately for two versions than not have a Mac version at all. I know I have seen software that is available for PC and Mac off the same CD-ROM (Myst and The Incredible Machine come to mind as starters), but I can respect the need for the little guy to charge more so that they can buy food far more than I respect the big guy to charge ridiculously more to further line the pockets of CEO's.

You'll have to forgive my oversight about the license issue, as the last time I was doing product dev, I was working for a multi-billion dollar toy company. You'd not believe how much money they'd throw at total and utter c****! only to cancel the project 3 months later.

Of course, I'd probably pay $50 for the game, so $25 now and $25 again in a few months is not a Bad Thing (tm).

I still don't like PayPal, but maybe if I cancel the account I make to buy StarScape with shortly after I register the game, I'lll avoid any more annoying spam.

Thanks for your time and excellent developement skills.

Rovylern

P.S. I didn't know that b _ _ _ _ r would need censoring. Sorry about that. Kinda surprising that that word is verboten. Then again, maybe that's just because most of the herd here in So. California have no clue what it means. Wink
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry for the heavy handed censoring!
Hope no one gets too upset by this. Please understand, we don't have any aversion to swearing oursleves (in fact I'd say we seem to have mastered the art, Particularly Goober when he started the Mac conversion Shocked ) It's just that we know for a fact there's quite a few very young children on the forum since we've answered letters from their parents who bought the game for them.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, but why do you want to play on both Mac and PC? The game is exactly the same on both, so you don't gain or lose anything from playing on the other platform.

cheers,
Havoc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober wrote:
Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, but why do you want to play on both Mac and PC? The game is exactly the same on both, so you don't gain or lose anything from playing on the other platform.

I can't speak for anyone, but I know people who use a PC desktop computer but also have a Mac laptop. They use a PC as their main computer for its flexibility, but keep a Mac laptop because they're well-designed, solid machines that work well as all-purpose portables. In this situation I could see a desire to have the game on both platforms.
Rovylern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a dumb question, Goober. I want to play on the PC because it's a *bleep*ing great game, and is only currently available for that OS from that company in Redmond. I'd rather play on OS X because I like the fact that Apple is considerably less intrusive than MS. The only reason I have yet to shift away from MS to Mac or Linux exclusively is that the vast majority of games are made for PC's. It is my desire to try to shift that market share as much as I can. Losing battle? Yes, but it is one I feel the need to fight anyway.

Besides, there's just something about this white hemisphere and its chrome arm that is exceedingly cool.

Therefore, I buy the game now to support an outstanding game from some very talented dev's, and buy it again later to support games that are released for my system of choice. The only thing I stand to lose or gain is the perception of the developers and publishers at large regarding the populous's desire for games on systems that don't have the attention of the herd.

I do need to get my application for the Mac beta in... I'd love to see how it fares on my 800 MHz G4 with 512 MB of RAM.

On a side note, no worries about the censoring of explicatives. As a substitute theacher, I very much understand the need for moderation when many different age goups and value sets are involved. Besides, it is your own little cloud of ones and zeros on the web, do as you will. I know I'll be here as long as the software continues to exceed my expectations.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rovylern wrote:
The only reason I have yet to shift away from MS to Mac or Linux exclusively is that the vast majority of games are made for PC's.

Yes, we understand that. I'm constantly evaluating the concept of setting up on linux myself, since Wings3D is supposed to be pretty stable on it now, and there's apparently a few ways to get Photoshop running safely.

A lot of the work Goober is doing on the Mac has been to make our generic systems platform independent. Hopefully this will allow us to work on Mac and PC versions concurrently in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: