FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Dawn of War vs. Battlescape
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will supply trucks have to run back and forth between a supply depot and the artillery battery?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I want to stay away from functional buildings, I want the player to have the option to take equipment with him to build a kind of mobile base. It would consist of "support vehicles" a generic term for an unarmed vehicle that provides a variety of benefits to the army as a whole. Again, they have to be dug-in to be effective but their presence should allow all units to gain some positive modifiers and anything within a certain range should heal/repair.

For every soldier or attack vehicle in a modern army there are a certain proportional number of support staff, vehicles and equipment. The effectiveness, life span and repair time of a tank is directly proportional to the quality and number of support pieces. I want to include this important factor but I don't want to get bogged down with it to the point of making the player work too hard.

If you don't bring support vehicles with you then you can have more fighting units and you can stay more mobile but you cannot get the same speed of battlefield repairs (you can still get some by taking medics and engineers in the squads) and you don't operate at anything like peak efficiency with certain vehicles like artillery being quite badly affected. If you do take the maximum number of support pieces then you reduce the number of fighting vehicles you can afford and you expose a potentially great weakness. As the units are so vulnerable and slow you will almost certainly want to hide them somewhere, guard them and you will need to keep them close to the artillery. Losing a support vehicle has a big negative effect on all units making them a prime target. I was hoping to simulate the concept of a mobile base that stays well to the rear of the main force. Hopefully something to consider that could cause quite a shift in the way a game is played, but doesn't add any more buttons to click on Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Battlescape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: