FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Top Indie Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the first Bone game, some of the tasks you were given seemed a little primitive and dull.

I didn't know there was another though, I'll check it out.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the first one for the graphics, acting and humour. I thought the puzzles were a little on the boring side myself, as well as it being too short. I think the second one took it up a notch.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question whether Telltale meets my definition of indie though. I mean, they appear to have 26 staff:

http://www.telltalegames.com/team

It's easy to confuse 'independent studio' with 'indie'
Inane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean MMM was bad (Infact, pretty damn fun for awhile), Fost, I just literally got atleast 4 hours of the demo, reaching no limitations, then I stopped playing because I got bored of it.

Crimsonland was slower than AS, but not by too much. The main reason I like CL over AS is because everything in Crimsonland was randomized, you never knew what weapon you'll get at the start, you never knew if you could get the right level ups for the weapon you have. Every round was different. I played Crimsonland for probably 100 hours, before I wiped my harddrive and I wasn't drawn enough to deal with getting it back.
I nominate it for the list.

I also nominate Lugaru, because it's the best indie game I ever bought (No offense to Starscape, that's second.).
It's got fast-paced context sensitive combat, I think you especially would like it, Fost.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Right. Sorry. Didn't know there was a distinction between the two.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's lots of independent studios, but I don't really see them as being 'indie' in the working out of a spare bedroom and living off beans sense of the word. I'm not having a go at you though Wink Telltale have been made out to be indie by the press; Gametunnel review their games for instance, and to counter my own argument, they've brought their game to market off their own backs.

It's not something that you can define easily, but I'm hopefully allowed to have my own list and I wouldn't put them on it. That's not to disparrage the fine work they are doing bringing the point and click adventure back to life, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the way they've ressurected it (and especially Sam and Max!!)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus Bone and their next game Sam&Max are based on commercial licenses and Sam&Max will only be available via Gametap which surely makes them a kind of publisher for telltale? So if they were indie in the past they surely aren't now (maybe).
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my book, they're not indie, but they have the indie spirit. Smile

but then, one person's definition is not the same as another's...
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with Fost on that one.
The indie spirit sort of shines through in their website, and their apparently closer affiliation to the creators of the original franchises when compared with bigger studios making franchises.
So not indie, but the spirit of indie is there... Is that something we can agree on? Very Happy
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
Is that something we can agree on? Very Happy

I'm down with that! But hey, we aren't the internet authority on 'indie' so everyone can make their own mind up...
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?! That's unheard of.
No, wait. Actually, you're absolutely right.
We're the WORLD authority on EVERYTHING!
Sergenth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DROD should be on the list. Erik Hermansen is totally indie and Caravel Games is certainly a part-time indie game company for all involved in development; absolutely more indie than the plush offices of Telltale Games (which you can see in their excellent behind the scenes video for Sam & Max).

I can't remember if I've ever played a game for over a year and a half, coming back to it after months-long breaks. It's the DROD game editor really... I've always loved map editors since the days of Wrecking Crew for the NES. For this reason also, Eets and Professor Fizzwizzle are super indie games as well.
Psycho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how dare you not mention alien shooter 2 Razz
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergenth wrote:
I think DROD should be on the list.

DROD has been on our list of games to try for quite a while, so once we get a chance it may end up here (we had a quick play and things looked good!)

Sergenth wrote:
Eets and Professor Fizzwizzle are super indie games as well.

Those both fall under casual for us - we may start a separate list for casual games, although to be honest, casual games don't particularly interest us - whilst we always check them out, and appreciate their professionalism, they never seem to keep our interest more than five minutes. Admiteddly, those two games are on the border of the casual definition. Perhaps it's a list we could get the wives interested in making Smile.

Psycho wrote:
how dare you not mention alien shooter 2 Razz

Give us a break, you can't even get it in english yet!
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DROD is a love/hate thing. It's so big. I love the puzzle-solving in it, but as the levels get more complex I tend not to have the patience for them. Especially if I've actually figured it out, but it has no tolerance for error whatsoever. Tar mothers tend to make for long levels with lots of choices and many ways to screw it up. I've not tried V2.0, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: