FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Freeware Installation and Patching applications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Freeware Installation and Patching applications Reply with quote

Clickteam has two applications, Install Creator and Patch Maker, both of which I have used and recommend highly. The freeware version is unrestricted, and has a small ad dialog when the process is finished. It's barely noticeable, and it is an effective way to promote the use of these excellent programs by others.

The pro version of Install Creator allows for multiple version installations, including the choice if unlocking registered content right from the installer by using keys.

The overhead for each of these installers is around 70k, and the patcher saves the differences between old and new, and rebuilds the files very quickly.

I hope some of you find these applications as useful as I have.

- T K
da chicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend who swaers by WIX, which is CPL software by Microsoft that makes .msi files. The syntax is not the easiest thing to learn, but if builds some of the cleanest installers I've ever seen.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

da chicken wrote:
makes .msi files.

The only problem with MSI files, is I've heard (from other developers) that they sometimes confuse end users who have no idea what to do with them!

Most indies seem to use either Inno Setup (like we do) or NSIS both of which are free, and very powerful.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSI files can be distributed with an executable to launch them for the unknowing masses. That is how I commonly see them.
guillett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question - I was looking into making a Mac port of an app I'm working on. Any ideas for a Mac install solution?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have been embarassingly innefective at getting a Mac solution for our games put together BUT, when we were working on the ill fated Starscape port, we looked at NSIS, which I believe had a work in progress Mac port at the time (although I could be wrong and have no idea how far that got). I think in the end, we settled on PackageMaker, which comes on the Mac OS X developer CDs for free. Obviously, we never got as far as using it, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Inno-setup, our installer of choice is sadly a windows only program.
ravuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guillett wrote:
Just a quick question - I was looking into making a Mac port of an app I'm working on. Any ideas for a Mac install solution?

OS X has a nice little feature that lets you put all the data required for the game (including libraries, etc) "inside" the application package. Apps on Mac OS X are really just a folder with the extension ".app" -- the actual binary is inside there somewhere. As a result, you can self-contain everything inside the one double clickable .app package...

That way, all your users have to do to install is mount the dmg disk image your app comes on, and drag the application to their hard drive. To delete, toss it in the trash and empty.

There's also PackageMaker with Xcode (you can configure it to work as part of your release build process even), but I far prefer the former method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: