FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Alpha blending sprite question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Alpha blending sprite question Reply with quote

I've just started using gfx card hardware (via a wrapper around OpenGL) to draw sprites with all the free rotation and alpha options.

However, I'm a little unsure on how to make some nice alpha effect sprites similar to those which you use to such great effect in StarScape. I was wondering if you had any words of wisdom and advice on making those kind of cool effect textures? Smile

(Also any advice on how to best use them for weapon/explosion effects would be much appreciated!)

Thanks!
Richard
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the particles a decent physics system rather than just "Move 5 units every loop", and scale them based on their velocity. Don't be afraid to use lots, because quite often it looks better. Additive blend mode is great because multiple particles will blend into each other rather than look like they're on top of each other.

As for drawing them, the textured brushes in photoshop and the outer glow layer blend mode are invaluable. Here are some particles from my game:

happymonster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, pretty!

Are those images the final combined alpha image (from all the different particles), or an individual particle image?

Smile
Hamish
Pod Developer
Pod Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're one particle. The ingame effects are made up of lots of them. Deciding weather making the image highly detailed, or making more less detailed particles will depend on what effect you're making and what style you're going for.
happymonster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Well, thank you very much for that. I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with!

Cheers,
Richard.
Doom III

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparklies Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: