FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
September-06: Hack Attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Moonpod Developer Diary RSS feed -RSS Feed
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking at different ways we could do something local so I can get some feedback first hand, whether I can sort that out or not I don't know yet. I'll bear it in mind though, thanks Smile
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So - does that work with punching bots? Did they have any control other than lft/right punch?

Well, as far as I remember each player had two physical handles with a thumb trigger to make their punches, but I think the entire controler part could swivel as well in a side to side motion. I guess in your situation, the moving would be covered, but you'd probably have to redefine the use command in that environment, if its the only other way to perform actions.

My guess would be to streamline this approach, in that instead of having two buttons each controlling the left and right punches separetly, have the use command perform both somehow i.e. tapping it once delivers a punch, holding it down could deliver the punches in quicker succession. The main problem here is with the single punches as it would appear the one that gets delivered would be based on whether the left or right punch was used first. i.e. your last single punch was left which would have to mean right was next.

I dunno, might be too risky, wouldn't want the rest of the game to break or anything, but I love the idea of robot themed minigames.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds a bit more like a mini-game, rather than something that could be intergrated in a fairly straightforward way - by that I mean you could just drop it into any room in the editor, and it would just work. It would be cool to have some kind of bash-em-up in there - especially with Samson, his hands are half his weight! You wouldn't want to be punched by Samson!
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great twist to the classic game, use your robot characters in the roles of the generic fighter designed robots. Its probably the only way to go with such a design element too what with rights issues and so forth. I'd guess an homage type thing like this is would have to have redesigns of the characters anyway.

Besides, you could impliment different aspects by virture of this kind of gaming environment - changing up the animations for instance on each knock out or something.
Flumpaphone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what: the wii is coming round the corner alongside the Playstation 3, there are some good looking xbox 360 games coming out and the PC has some jaw dropping games on the way (Supreme Commander!), but what am I really excited about? An upcoming game from a tiny indie game company.

I honestly cannot think of the last time I was so excited about a game. In some ways it is because I have watched Mr. Robot 'grow up' in these developer diaries.

With regard to incorporating other game ideas: will we be able to do this ourselves using lua scripts? I must say, that the editor system is also something I cannot wait to play with - almost as much as the game itself.

Would any of these ideas be possible:
*There was a game called PSSST! on the spectrum. You had to protect a flower from all manner of creepy crawlies by blasting them with differing pesticides. I mention it because it only used one button and move keys. (Although I am not sure why giant plants would be no board the ship being attacked by insects in the first place!!!)
*Those games with lasers and mirrors like Khet: http://www.khet.com/ (There are similar web games). Perhaps you could connect up a laser grid in a room by moving switches?
*Jetpac: Another spectrum game. If you add in a jetpack, then you could change the way the game works. I do not know if you would need to limit that to different areas of the ship, and how that could be possible.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flumpaphone wrote:
I honestly cannot think of the last time I was so excited about a game.
Hope Mr. Robot lives up to your expectations! I always worry when people get too excited before release - we don't like to overhype things but prefer to let them stand on their merits Smile

Flumpaphone wrote:
With regard to incorporating other game ideas: will we be able to do this ourselves using lua scripts?
In theory it's possible, but I would say this would be incredibly difficult to anyone but a programmer. You can recreate some types of gameplay by switching objects off and on at the right times, and the logic behind that could be as complex as you like, but it would probably be better for the game to take care of specific gameplay. Also, you'll only be able to use the objects that exist in the game (Although if this takes off, and people come up with anything interesting they can demonstrate, then we could add objects not in the game just for the use of people who are making their own adventures.

As an example of the above, if we added a beam object, your laser-room idea could be made by building every type of path the laser could take through the room then turning the visible paths on and off using lua depending on which switches you select. However, it would be much better if the game could just build the beams on the fly by deflecting them off things. Lua is powerful, but you still have to interface with the game at some point Smile

Flumpaphone wrote:
There was a game called PSSST! on the spectrum. You had to protect a flower from all manner of creepy crawlies by blasting them with differing pesticides.
Another game by Ultimate - I loved PSSST! although it seems to be one of their lesser known titles. Something like that would work perfectly - I mentioned the laser system would already work. I also have designs for how a hydoponics zone should look (one of several zone ideas that didn't make it into the first game but could be in an update), which would be a great place to have a 'protect the plant whilst it flowers' bit of gameplay. Smile

Flumpaphone wrote:
Those games with lasers and mirrors
Again, a cool idea - potentially in Mr. Robot it has many uses too - are you using the laser to power a solar generator on the other side of the room? or destroy some enemies? You'll also have to watch out that you don't get hit yourself!
Flumpaphone wrote:
Jetpac:
We could certainly add a jetpac, but as you've already keenly noted - we'd probably need a way to limit it's use to a certain area. Have to have a think about that...

All great ideas, I'm really excited about what can be done with updates to Mr. Robot Smile
Dove
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flumpaphone wrote:
Guess what: the wii is coming round the corner alongside the Playstation 3, there are some good looking xbox 360 games coming out and the PC has some jaw dropping games on the way (Supreme Commander!), but what am I really excited about? An upcoming game from a tiny indie game company.

Me too. In fact, this is the first game I've been excited about in a longlonglong time. In spite of all the technology, a lot of games these days just aren't engaging.

Normally I'm so disenchanted with modern games, I don't even look at them unless the demo is strikingly interesting. But my husband and I recently had a fellow living in the guest bedroom who was constantly downloading pirated games, and he would periodically try to sell us on one or another. We were impressed enough by Dungeon Siege II to buy a copy and play through it, and we loved the game! For about a month. And then we were done. And I'll be surprised if I ever come back... and that seems to be how it goes.

My husband was recently in the Civ4 beta, and it was the same story. Good game. Nothing wrong with it, I very much enjoyed it... some awesome stuff to play with. But now that the two-week initial obsession has died down, and I can't say I'm all that excited about it anymore. I might play it periodically, but I probably wouldn't have bought the game.

Heh, but we still play Starscape. It's presently on my short list of personal classics - along with Nethack, Descent, DOOM2, and Starcraft - of games that I regularly replay. It might not stay there over the years--the difficulty "tops out" pretty low. But that's not what it's there for anyway. Starscape is a masterpiece of "fun to play"--the best I've ever seen.

Moonpod knows how to make a good game, they do. That's what's got me excited about the next one. Looking at the dev diaries, I see every indication that Mr. Robot will be just as interesting as Starscape was.
Ari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Flumpaphone wrote:
Jetpac:

We could certainly add a jetpac, but as you've already keenly noted - we'd probably need a way to limit it's use to a certain area. Have to have a think about that...

All great ideas, I'm really excited about what can be done with updates to Mr. Robot Smile

You could make it too big to fit through a door... Smile

Quick question about the new CD cover: Was thinking of upgrading to Starscape CD-rom, when will the new cover be in? Very Happy It looks neat.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ari wrote:
Quick question about the new CD cover: Was thinking of upgrading to Starscape CD-rom, when will the new cover be in? Very Happy It looks neat.

It should have already been in stock, but as usual, the printers are completely attrocious. I totally do not understand why printing places are so much trouble. The latest fiasco, is that we've been told they are an online only company, and as such will have to pay their hefty delivery charge. I would not mind, but they are within walking distance and we've picked up from there before. I'm looking into alternatives in case they don't get a move on, but for some reason UK printing bureaus are a always a pain. I suppose that runs of a few thousand are small change to companies that are handling print jobs that run into the 100's of thousands.

All I can say is - we hope to have them done within the month if not the week.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this batch of new Starscape CD-ROMs be the latest 1.5 ish? I know its not hard to upgrade it to 1.6 when that's available, but that's the version I'm looking forward to. I'm curious too as to how you plan for CD orders like this between versions as well knowing that you'll have a new one in the near future.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dallas wrote:
Will this batch of new Starscape CD-ROMs be the latest 1.5 ish?

When we talk about getting thousands manufactured, we are just talking about the DVD cover printing manufacture. The actually data is authored in batches of 20, so as soon as 1.6 is finished (or within a day at least), all CDs that go out will be that version.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, I didn't know that. It does make sense when the data goes on the CDs that it is something you do only as you need to from the orders you get. I learn something new from you guys every other time I come here Smile
ewerybody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah! You do a 1.6 patch for Starscape as well alongside developing Mr.Robot?

Is there a StarScape 1.6 beta going on?
Do you still need bugs or suggestions reported for it??
I mean.. not that I'd have a load of .. but there are some things ;]
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a Starscape1.6 beta but not for a while yet and yes feel free to list any bugs in the "support" thread.
Doom III

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep goin guys looks like youre gettin there.

shame about the mac starscape. could care less myself because im not into macs but its a bitch for the mac addicts out there. i always wish there was a bigger starscape community and i bet the maccers would come in hard and fast for mac starscape.

i think mac stuff is gonna be easy to release as time goes on and everyone has intel machines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Developer Diary All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: