FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Project status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember there being talk about the controls. A friend of mine really likes the game in itself, but he can't stand the controls. That's not optimal. Razz Personally, I find the controls good enough (apart from the whole issue of judging direction and placement of things in the 3D environment) but an option to use the num pad for controls would be nice, and 7,9,1,3 would be diagonal movement instead of up,down,left,right so that 8,4,6,2 would move you in relation to the camera.

Not really a bug or annoyance, but I constantly press tab instead of P for the menu. Maybe that's just me, but it would make it more intuitive for me if I could use tab.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you can set all these things (except the separate diagonal movement thingy) I take your point.

There's a couple of issues with controls right now:

• Menu navigation with keys/pad isn't wired up properly on every screen. Fixable, although a bit of a nightmare believe it or not.
  • 50% of people (me included) absolutely hate using the mouse-control with the player. We would have removed it, except loads of people love it. We are thinking of disabling it by default - so you need to enable it in the controls menu to use it. Wondering of there's any way to improve it, but nothing springs to mind.
  • Loads of people mention wanting up to be up (into the screen) and not classic iso-adventure controls. We are hoping to test this at some point, although we suspect it will be worse than many people are theorising.

As for 8 keys - I honestly think you are mad Wink - I've actually played a game that did that (some freeware Japanese game - hopefully my mind will kick in soon and remember it) and it was unplayable because of it.

Anyone using keys/pad should be ok though. Although I am used to these types of games.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah. The numpad was just an idea off the top of my head, and my head is a bit insane, you're right. It's a bit unwieldy, I suppose. Smile I'm fine with the current layout myself, though.

I'd like to set the keys and stuff to bring up the menu with tab instead of P etc, but that's where my main issue comes in. If I try to reach the options screen, the game crashes on my mac (dual booted in Windows, not using Paralells)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mark has looked at that, but we can't think of a way to debug it without buying an intel based Mac (which we may actually do at some point).

You can change res etc with the external tool, but there's no way to set the controls.

Really weird that happens, wonder if it's an Apple XP driver issue?
Magnulus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that may well be the case. It's not really a huge issue for me, though, as I can access the resolution settings from the outside. I noticed the issue when I decided to check if I could turn on anti-aliasing from the in-game options.

So is there AA? If not, WHYYYYYY?!?!

Not that it needs it, though. Dude, Nick, it looks so delicious in 1680x1050 that I'm in danger of eating my mac. Such crisp niceness with the textures and the lighting and everything. I love you guys. I really do. I hope the sales pick up a bit, because this needs to get out more.

Often, I feel that multi-genre games, though damn fun, tend to feel like they actually are several separate games, and I think that's part of why they tend to tank commercially (Giants, Beyond Good and Evil, Startopia (to a degree) though they do well in reviews. I dunno. My POINT was that Mr. Robot doesn't feel like that at all. It feels very much like a single game, even though the differences between the game modes are distinct. I think it's to do with the fact that they affect eachother to some degree and aren't just separate stops in the course of a game. Awesome, dudes.

Looking forward to coming home and playing more. You replaced Oblivion in my Play-time in Windows.

Last edited by Magnulus on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnulus wrote:
So is there AA? If not, WHYYYYYY?!?!

We should put that option in - in fact I think we made a note of it, but it's low on the list (simply too many ideas for Mr. Robot and the moment Smile ) Since many people enable this per application using the driver, we weren't too worried - although I'm guessing the Mac XP driver doesn't offer the AA options?

Magnulus wrote:
I hope the sales pick up a bit, because this needs to get out more.

We are still getting most of our search hits from Starscape, so I'm pretty sure the game hasn't peaked yet. A lot of reviews on their way hopefully as they've been a bit slow coming Smile

Magnulus wrote:
Looking forward to coming home and playing more. You replaced Oblivion in my Play-time in Windows.

Smile I really need to play Oblivion though - sacrificed so much play time in the past year to get Mr. Robot done, now we need to catch up with all the great PC games that have popped up!
siiseli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what might these pc games be? (I cant seem to find any good games these days, except for mr.robot of course)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supreme Commander and Oblivion are the two main ones for me, although I've also avoided World of Warcraft, however that might be a good thing.Smile
SethP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Supreme Commander and Oblivion are the two main ones for me, although I've also avoided World of Warcraft, however that might be a good thing.Smile

Yeah, avoiding WoW is a good thing. Unless you're not so fond of your soul, then feel free to let WoW eat it away :p
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth trying out WoW if one feels confident s/he isn't prone to MMORPG addiction. It's beautiful and fun. All the animations and the emotes and all that kind of thing really sprinkle the game and pull it beyond what most MMORPGs I've seen manage to pull off.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Once, I played a lot of EverQuest. A lot, a lot. Since then, I have matured. Now I play a lot of World of Warcraft. Now, as then, it is this hideous nightmare hole into which I pour hour after hour of my precious and irreplaceable youth, ****** away time that I could spend writing, or being with my family, or being involved with the community, or just - you know - doing something."

The indie author of Avernum and Geneforge rpg's on spiderweb software.

I love this guy! Very funny articles.

They are all worth reading but these are specifically about his experiences in WoW. He's very bitter Wink

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/724/724469p1.html

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/763/763050p1.html

p.s. yes I have played WoW and yes it is absolutely amazing, the pinnacle mmorpg acheivement out there. I forced myself to stop after 2 months, very scary.
SethP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
p.s. yes I have played WoW and yes it is absolutely amazing, the pinnacle mmorpg acheivement out there. I forced myself to stop after 2 months, very scary.

I know the feeling. I played WoW for a year before finally giving up,pretty much because I was on a satellite connection; ever tried to pvp with a 1 second+ ping? If DSL had come to my neighborhood earlier... I shudder to think what would've happened.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how close are you to releasing a more major update to the game (a version 1.1)? Even though I bought Mr. Robot as soon as it came out, I've been waiting for a bigger update with some new content before I play it since I already went through 95% of the game twice during the beta and nothing's really changed since then (except maybe less bugs). Not trying to pressure you, just wondering since the first post in this thread is obviously out of date.

Also! Are Mr. Robot beta tester icons above our avatars coming? Very Happy
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a while i'm afraid. I'd never have predicted how long it would take after finishing MrRobot to get it stable and to get other people interested in it.

Lessons learned:

1. making something very grand and complex takes time, especially when you lose a programmer half way through Smile It also results in something that's very hard to maintain.

2. just because you remember how much fun isometric games were "in the good old days" it doesn't mean anybody else does (especially the suits). Smile

So yes, it should have all been done by now, but it didn't quite go to plan. I think we'll switch to working on MrRobot in a part time way while concentrating on the next game. We certainly won't forget about it, but it'll take quite a while I think. Sorry.

Hopefully more people will make new content of their own. There is a new minor update coming in the next week or two to fix a few editor related things so hopefully that will help.

I'll update the status.
REGIFISHY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow THE MR ROBOT DEMO HATES ME!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: