FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
90% piracy rate for World of Goo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and just to add that I paid particular attention on security ... even if the game gets cracked, unless my website gets hacked, cracked version will never be able to post the hiscore.

... and even cracking will be hard, as I've made my own, very custom protection.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracy is a sensitive subject. The problem is nobody has good solid evidence as to what is going on. I know for a fact that some of the people pirating games WILL buy if they cannot pirate, because I know a number of indie developers over the years who have run a variety of experiments. It wouldn't stand up under a microscope is incontrovertible proof, but still.

However, for extra media punch some people make silly statements like "100,000 pirate copies have been used, therefore I've lost 100,000 X $19.99 in revenue". Obviously that is nonsense.

I suspect it's more like 10-20% of pirates would actually buy if they had no choice. I might grumble at how much games cost, but gaming is my hubby and I will always buy something. So that's still a very significant amount of money, in many case enough to make the difference between a healthy business and bankruptcy.

Talking of secure consoles, the DS seems to be in a pickle.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178906
p.s. again notice the headline grabbing silly statement about lost sales. They are reporting piracy of $11billion of games, if in truth that was more like 10% who would buy, then you are still in the region of a a billion dollars. I think most people would be upset to lose that Smile
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following torrent sites and dumped DS roms are EVERYWHERE ... all the games, including latest ... and that first started when some guy managed to make a fully functional DS emulator. Same happened with GBA and that was the moment when Nintendo decided to stop GBA and make something new, harder to emulate.

There are torrents which are distributed with all the roms including emulator and an instructions on how to dump. So, all you have to do is purchase the cable, connect your DS with PC, dump the game you purchased and then upload the torrent. Awful ... I'm having the scariest feeling that game development will cease.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say the 3DS will be harder to hack. I don't think Nintendo are ready to do anything too serious about stopping it, due the profit they make on the hardware. If they really wanted to put a dent in it then they could include system updates in new games and also when you go online (like Wii and X360 do).

So if you ever buy a new game then it will put a new OS in place which could be regularly updated to stop roms working. The DS's online features don't seem so amazing, but the 3DS could have tons more online features and Nintendo could encourage game developers to add online features to all games (not just multiplayer but extra content, achievements, the usual). So if people see it as a much more online focused device and it updates the OS on connection then that is another way to keep updating the security.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right, they need something to sell more hardware. I always suspected that Nintendo is the one who made the hardware that is used to dump and make roms.

It was my idea too, to make players able to post scores and achievements. I paid special attention to that part and I don't think anyone can hack it as the secure encrypted version is located on website not inside the game and the website won't execute that part if something fishy is going on.
Slyh

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a blog post about piracy rates by the guys who are doing The Humble Indie Bundle right now:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Another-view-of-game-piracy

(I bought the bundle yesterday and gave them 15 US dollars, although I already own World Of Goo and Gish. As 15 dollars are only around 11,50 Euros I thought this was a low amount, but still fair. It seems that the average contribution is more around 8 to 9 dollars, though.)
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
Found a blog post about piracy rates by the guys who are doing The Humble Indie Bundle right now:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Another-view-of-game-piracy

(I bought the bundle yesterday and gave them 15 US dollars, although I already own World Of Goo and Gish. As 15 dollars are only around 11,50 Euros I thought this was a low amount, but still fair. It seems that the average contribution is more around 8 to 9 dollars, though.)

Yep, pretty much.

I don't (usually) pirate games, but I do pirate movies, music, and anime/manga.
If magical DRM somehow managed to prevent me from doing this, I wouldn't start paying for things, I don't have money, and don't value a lot of these things enough to pay for.
If I cant get it for free, I probably wont get it at all.

Now when I find myself in possession of money, I will tend to spend it on things. And you know what? I am more likely to buy something I have pirated before and enjoyed than to spend money on something I have no idea weather on not it will be fun.
codergames

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a pirate for real or you just troll us?
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
Are you a pirate for real or you just troll us?

Sad
Slyh

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have a facepalm emoticon?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article Slyh linked is really great. It's nice to see someone actually doing some maths on the figures, and 90% piracy rates don't sound quite so scary when you realise it could be a small number of people pirating *lots* of games. Still, it sucks if those people are eating your bandwidth and/or wasting your support time.
codergames

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I don't think its possible for me to provide support to people who haven't purchased the game. My support is limited to those present in the purchase log. Those things are easily verifiable. Also hiscore submission will never work for people who're not customers.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
The article Slyh linked is really great. It's nice to see someone actually doing some maths on the figures, and 90% piracy rates don't sound quite so scary when you realise it could be a small number of people pirating *lots* of games. Still, it sucks if those people are eating your bandwidth and/or wasting your support time.

Yes, that is a sensible argument. There is still some guesswork in there, but I think people have always known that piracy is too easy on PC and it is a major problem, but it's nothing like "I lost 90% of my sales". Something around <25% sounds more realistic. Piracy isn't the cause of PC gaming's decline, it's a host of things i.e. consoles are easier in every way, online games are stickier, flash is free, iphone apps are silly cheap, PCs are complicated and expensive, AAA games got all anal, gaming grew up and entered the living room, consoles are easier to secure, etc.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild speculation time:

I think in the future we'll see a "pay what you like" portal, something like Steam, but they'll be too scared to do it I suspect, it'll be a new one. That portal will hoover up every game over ~3months old, but sadly it will never again generate the press (and therefore sales) that these early birds got.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: