FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Validity of indie reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Moonpod's site looks much better Smile ... dialup is working fine, not the first time but as the cache gets built it can load in just 2 seconds every next time.

I haven't really paid attention to how the site will look, my goal was to make a decent looking site, simple enough. The games quality should be more important. But, I'm just one guy doing everything, so it should be good enough.
zwzsg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
I have heard rumours that some shareware sites just automate the ratings process i.e. you submit a game/app and ~24hours later they send you an email saying you've got 5stars and encouraging you to link to them. They make money from ads so the more people that link to them the more money they make.

I'm not saying this is fact!
I know a guy who heard of a guy who read the blog of a guy who said it's totally not a rumor!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh! Smile
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there are many such sites. However, if you go and check the actual site and check other games, you'll see that most of the games have zero rewards or 4 or 3 stars, not 5 like my game. And, of course I value my customers opinions the most, so if they say its fun, then its fun.

Here's a simple practical example:

My game: http://www.x64bitdownload.com/downloads/t-64-bit-invader-attack-download-eqjtstrx.html

Other games (only mine having an award):

http://www.x64bitdownload.com/categories/free-64-bit-games-entertainment-arcade-downloads-7-80-0-d.html

So, while blog is trying to deceive people (obviously written by some evil hateful entity), the practical example beats evil every time. Plus comments on that blog are closed, wonder why Laughing

... btw, I'm already working on my second game Smile
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
I agree there are many such sites. However, if you go and check the actual site and check other games, you'll see that most of the games have zero rewards or 4 or 3 stars, not 5 like my game. And, of course I value my customers opinions the most, so if they say its fun, then its fun.

Here's a simple practical example:

My game: http://www.x64bitdownload.com/downloads/t-64-bit-invader-attack-download-eqjtstrx.html

Other games (only mine having an award):

http://www.x64bitdownload.com/categories/free-64-bit-games-entertainment-arcade-downloads-7-80-0-d.html

So, while blog is trying to deceive people (obviously written by some evil hateful entity), the practical example beats evil every time. Plus comments on that blog are closed, wonder why Laughing

... btw, I'm already working on my second game Smile

Oh god... I had no idea it was possible for a human being to be as deluded as you are (assuming you are human). x64Bitdownload.com? Your game isn't even 64 bit! It shouldn't be on a website like that in the first place!

(Also, about that blog post: I'm sure back in 2007 someone was thinking "Hey, I'll write this phony blog post so three years from now some guy I've never heard of and probably never will will read it, get disheartened, and leave a business I'm not interested in. That'll show him!")

Now, let's go to their listing for all games, shall we? http://www.x64bitdownload.com/categories/free-64-bit-games-entertainment-downloads-7-0-v.html Two and a half pages of games with a rating of five stars. That's over 60. And only six and a third pages (roughly 135 items) have ratings. Are 46% of games perfect and deserving of five stars? I doubt it.

I'm guessing whoever set this website up isn't a complete idiot - if someone saw that everything had a perfect rating, they'd realise something was up. But not all of them? Yeah, that's more plausible. Besides, your game doesn't even have a review written. Surely if something is so great you'll give it five stars you can write a couple of sentences about it. But no, they just copy the text from your website (or you probably submitted it... I've never posted anything on a download site). But sites like that are set up only to generate links, boost their search ranking and make money. You want evidence? Search Google for "Invader Attack" You make the game and your website isn't even on the first page. In fact, the only entry on the first page which isn't a download site (reputable or otherwise) appears to be a link to a pirated version of your game.

By the way... I still laugh every time I see your game mentioned anywhere near "realistic physics" or "physics based". It's alien spaceships. There's no precedent. You can do whatever the hell you want and call it realistic because you can't be proven wrong. But does that mean having "realistic" physics is worth anything? Nope.

I think I can see why you're deluding yourself. You want to succeed. Anything which tells you how hard it will be, belittles what you've done or any of your achievements, or criticises you? They're lying. They're out to get you. They have no idea what they're talking about. They just want to you to quit so they can steal all the market. After all, you did it, right? You made a game. You put it on the internet for everyone to see. It's not impossible to do. And since you did it, you know it's a great game. I mean, you're not capable of anything less, are you?

Don't get me wrong. It can be good not to pay the nay-sayers too much heed. If you really want to do something, you shouldn't let things like that discourage you. Who cares if you make money? (You maybe, but I'm going somewhere else with this). You did what you wanted to do, and you probably enjoyed doing it, or else you wouldn't have done it.

However, and I'm probably contradicting myself here, you do have to listen to all of this sometime. When people are trying to help you, you shouldn't disregard them like you are. If someone says nothing but bad things, doesn't say anything good or how you could improve? Then you can ignore them. But constructive criticism and plain old advice? You should listen. It's really annoying when people are honestly trying to help you (like we are) and you disregard them, say they're wrong. It's possible for people to be wrong. Nobody's perfect. That includes you.

So what's my point? I'll be blunt. You're full of yourself. You're quite convinced you're always right, and I highly doubt anything neither I nor anyone can say or do will change that (including this rather long message). But I implore you, don't disregard everything we say. We're trying to help. And you just think we've all been duped by so many different internet scams it's not funny (the opposite is probably true... you seem to believe anything, except what we tell you. You're kind of like someone I used to know, who'd believe anything he saw on the internet... unless I showed it to him). What really annoys me about it? You seem to be gloating in it. If I were to try to imagine what you were thinking, it'd probably be "Ha I figured out this is all a scam and nobody else did - I'm so smart!"

Why do I go to this effort? I like to help people. And I'm being honest (although I believe the appropriate expression is "too honest"). I'm not your competitior, I don't sell any games (let alone ones that compete with yours), although I'd like to someday (and don't you think my inexperience invalidates my opinion, I've spent enough time on this board to know about indie games, and working with the owners of a couple of small businesses to know a bit about business). So that means advice that people are providing, I'm also listening to, I'm sure it'll come in handy later (and don't worry folks, I am actually listening, not completely disregarding).

Now who thinks I should quit my career as a game developer before it starts and get into psychology?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
Now who thinks I should quit my career as a game developer before it starts and get into psychology?

I think you can be exellent psychlogist. Please find special opportunity for psychlogy certificates and traning on my reputable website. Soon you can be earning top psychlogy dollars. Work for yourself choose your own hours! Only high IQ persons like yourself can get authentic psychlogy certificates from my reputable website. Apply now!
codergames

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The award is for 64bit compatibility ... Laughing ... Ouch! ... and of course the 5 stars for the quality ... ouch ouch Laughing

My second game announcement (40-50% already finished):

http://www.codergames.com/news/games/galaxide-new-game-windows-announcement/

Ouch ouch ouch ... hope it doesn't hurt too much, Konedima?

And I included a lot of wanted features, Invader Attack is not the same game as on the video. I do thank for all the help, we're just teasing each other, right? No hard feelings? People who purchased my game didn't purchase it because it sucks, I'm sure of it. So, its quite subjective ... you don't like it, but there are others who does. And my goal is not to entertain a psycho, but normal people, so my game is intended for the normal audience.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
The award is for 64bit compatibility ... Laughing ... Ouch! ... and of course the 5 stars for the quality ... ouch ouch Laughing

My second game announcement (40-50% already finished):

http://www.codergames.com/news/games/galaxide-new-game-windows-announcement/

Ouch ouch ouch ... hope it doesn't hurt too much, Konedima?

And I included a lot of wanted features, Invader Attack is not the same game as on the video. I do thank for all the help, we're just teasing each other, right? No hard feelings? People who purchased my game didn't purchase it because it sucks, I'm sure of it. So, its quite subjective ... you don't like it, but there are others who does. And my goal is not to entertain a psycho, but normal people, so my game is intended for the normal audience.

Award for 64 bit compatibility? Almost any 32 bit software will work on a 64 bit system, unless it's REALLY bad... in which case it probably wouldn't work on a 32 bit system (drivers not included, they need to be 64 bit). Why is this? The x86-64 instruction set is just an extension of the regular old 32 bit x86 instruction set - Windows handles everything via WoW64. So an award for 64 bit compatibility is one of the most asinine things ever created - it's one of the situations where you don't praise the ones that succeed, you lambast those that don't.

As for the "Ouch ouch och... hope it doesn't hurt too much"... what the hell? What would hurt? Quite frankly I don't give two **** (let alone one) whether you're making another game, although if you'd read my post (and understood it), you'd realise that I'm happy for your success (or at least enough success to make it worthwhile creating another game). I intend to one day make games and sell them like you are - your success shows that it is possible, and that's good.

For the record, however, I pride myself on my ability to recognise that "daolnwod.com" isn't an entirely legitimate website, so I don't put a link (which to anyone with a view of the world as educated and/or cynical as mine, says not "this game is so good this site gave it five stars", but "whoever put this link up is a stupid tool for not realising this is a scam"). Also worth noting: that's another website which gives you a five star rating, without actually saying anything about it - a dead giveaway they've not actually played it.

As for me, I'm sick to death of trying to help you, and you completely disregarding everything I say... assuming you're reading it in the first place. Yes I realise my posts can be a bit a long (verbosity comes with the autism, no extra charge), but if I go to the effort of writing them, you should go to the effort of reading them. If you don't understand something? Ask me to clarify it. If you think I'm wrong? Tell me (politely, more so than I do), don't just try mocking me (it won't work - part of not caring about other people as a general rule is not caring about what they say). But don't completely disregard everything I say and then try to make me look the fool. You're only making yourself look stupid.

Weeble wrote:
I think you can be exellent psychlogist. Please find special opportunity for psychlogy certificates and traning on my reputable website. Soon you can be earning top psychlogy dollars. Work for yourself choose your own hours! Only high IQ persons like yourself can get authentic psychlogy certificates from my reputable website. Apply now!

Where do I sign up???
codergames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sign up, they won't accept you, don't embarrass yourself Laughing

My game has editor's choice:

http://www.daolnwod.com/invader-attack.html its active

All other software does not, eg. one of those:

http://www.daolnwod.com/hotspeed---arena.html (editor's choice award dimmed, not active)

What a deceiver you are Laughing ... you should go to a psychiatrist and not to apply for one Laughing
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
Don't sign up, they won't accept you, don't embarrass yourself Laughing

My game has editor's choice:

http://www.daolnwod.com/invader-attack.html its active

All other software does not, eg. one of those:

http://www.daolnwod.com/hotspeed---arena.html (editor's choice award dimmed, not active)

What a deceiver you are Laughing ... you should go to a psychiatrist and not to apply for one Laughing

If you'd read my earlier post, you'd have seen this:
Konedima wrote:
I'm guessing whoever set this website up isn't a complete idiot - if someone saw that everything had a perfect rating, they'd realise something was up. But not all of them? Yeah, that's more plausible. Besides, your game doesn't even have a review written. Surely if something is so great you'll give it five stars you can write a couple of sentences about it.

Which I guess helps prove my theory that you're not even reading what I have to say when I'm trying to help you. Of course, while I'd be too polite to call you an idiot in public, I can thinly veil what i'm thinking as much as I want...
codergames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it. How then can you explain that my game got top ratings on all different shareware and download sites? I mean it got 5 stars and editors choice awards on all of them.

How can you explain that I have so many sales and the game was released in less than 2 months ago with zero or little marketing and promotion? On top of that I'm getting awards on a daily basis, but can't put all of them, not wasting time on that anymore, there's no reason for that.

You're pathetic Laughing ... mommy doesn't love you, right? Aw, I'd give you a hug, but too repulsive for me too.
Slyh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Konedima: Ignoring helps. Trust me.
codergames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too psychotic to ignore Laughing
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slyh wrote:
@Konedima: Ignoring helps. Trust me.

Good idea, but for once he's right...
codergames wrote:
Too psychotic to ignore Laughing

Although I do have an excuse... my (I believe the official term is) neurological impairment. And while you'll probably assume "neurological impairment" means "retard", it's quite the opposite - people with my condition are, as a general rule, smarter than the average. And at least in my case, not shy about bragging about it.

Now, about this:
codergames wrote:
I read it. How then can you explain that my game got top ratings on all different shareware and download sites? I mean it got 5 stars and editors choice awards on all of them.

Simple Google search for "Invader Attack download" yields the following: (Note: some URLs provided aren't the exact ones returned in your search, if the result is a landing page or something similar)
First result: http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games-Demo/Invader-Attack.shtml - No editor rating. One five star user rating, but for all I know that could have been you.
Second: http://www.brothersoft.com/games/invader-attack.html - No ratings whatsoever. And I can't help but notice the completely overwhelming "Last week downloads" figure: 12!
Third: http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/software/t-free-invader-attack-download-mqwqdlkh.html - No editor score. One five star user rating. Again, no proof that it wasn't you. Also, it's quite obvious the site is designed only to get as high as possible in search results (apparently it succeeded).
The fourth result isn't even for your game.
Fifth: http://invader-attack.smartcode.com/ - No rating whatsoever.
Sixth: http://www.geardownload.com/games/invader-attack.html - Four user ratings, five stars. No editor rating. 21 downloads total.
Seventh: http://www.x64bitdownload.com/downloads/t-64-bit-invader-attack-download-eqjtstrx.html - Five star editor rating, no actual review (dead giveaway that the five stars probably involved a monkey and a dartboard). Also clearly set up just for search results (two dead giveaways: there are ridiculous amounts of links, and the random string of characters at the end of the URL - them giving you five stars just makes you link to them, which increases their search ranking yet more).
Eigth: http://software.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?kw=Invader+Attack+++%28Windows%29&docid=1753055 - No ratings whatsoever. 23 downloads total.
Ninth: http://www.filecluster.com/Games/Arcade/Download-Invader-Attack.html - No ratings.
Tenth: http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=1753055 - No ratings.

And no, I'm not going to delve through every page of results for that search - but the first page is pretty clear. One editor review of five stars (on a website designed purely to appear highly in search results - and you help them by linking to it), without actually providing a review, which (I think this is the first time I've said it) most likely means they didn't play it and just what you to link to it.

User ratings aren't really applicable, because of human behaviour - if you don't think you'll like it, you won't download it, and if you don't download it you won't review it. And if you go to the effort of downloading it, you probably will like it, since people have a tendency to like what they see - after all if it was bad, you wouldn't bother with it, right? (Actual reviewers are the exception, they have to review stuff for work, not pleasure, it's much easier for them to be objective).

So, even assuming that five star rating from x64bitdownload.com is legitimate, one tenth is hardly all download sites.

codergames wrote:
How can you explain that I have so many sales and the game was released in less than 2 months ago with zero or little marketing and promotion?

Oh really? Then why have you, on this very board, said you were getting very few sales? Remember, contradicting oneself is among the more stupid was to lie.

codergames wrote:
You're pathetic Laughing ... mommy doesn't love you, right? Aw, I'd give you a hug, but too repulsive for me too.

You're rather wrong there, but if that thought gives you comfort, somehow makes you think you're better than me because I just want to snap out at you because of family problems (which don't exist, at least in my case), then go with it. I know I won't be able to make you snap out of your idiotic fantasies.

Hey Poo Bear, I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't particularly mind if you banned this moron.
codergames

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand why Brothersoft has so few downloads of my game in last week, I got more than 500 downloads from them in just one week after releasing the game.

I've noticed downloads dropping these days, probably people going out more, nice weather and all, which you should do too.

I had zero sales in the beginning (in April), which kinda is normal since no-one knew about it and it appears that people do need time to evaluate.

The game was posted to SoftPedia not so long ago. If I have many downloads and zero rates, its because people download they don't bother to rate. I'm guessing that editor posts initial rating. All the sites you're mentioning are recent posts few days or 1-2 weeks ago. I'm guessing they need time to evaluate or not giving any awards. I'm not sure.

You should check your IQ, I'm not so sure that what you're saying applies in your case, they probably lied to you about having high IQ to calm down your psychotic episodes a bit. Its not working though.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: