FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Red Dead Redemption + undead nightmare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Red Dead Redemption + undead nightmare Reply with quote

Wow, if Assassins Creed is the master of City rendering then this is the king of the open plain. Another great open world game. Given my battle with Assassins Creed, the first thing I noticed is the limitations in the animation and camera, AC really has animation nailed. However, it didn't take long for RDR's merits to shine, it's just an all round better game imo. Varied missions, nicely written dialog and just riding around collecting herbs and shooting rabbits is fun in itself.

It's such a refreshing game, I've been herding cattle, lassoing and breaking broncos, playing poker and removing digits at 5 finger fillet. The main character is a weather beaten dark eyed hard man, but he actually has a modicum of character! In one scene the main female character (who is also well realised) starts to come onto him and he actually points out that he's married! Surely a gaming first?

Eventually a more predictable set of missions kicked in where you join a posse and hunt down criminals. The guns feel slightly awkward, sometimes it auto-aims, sometimes it doesn't, the camera can get caught and moves quite un-smoothly, but they are only minor niggles. There are lots of AI people running around and you can hear them chatting and it's all well implemented, but for some reason you cannot engage them in conversation which really spoils the effect. I know a few canned phrases will probably wear thin quickly, but it's one of those well learned traditions, you just expect to be able to chat a little.

Riding around what looks like Texas, with no loading, miles and miles of open country, wildlife running around, a beautiful stormy sky, the dusk lit up occasionally by lightning strikes. Ride out to the train station, walk into a carriage and take a seat, get off at the next town and take a stage coach home - this really is an amazing achievement.

Last edited by Poo Bear on Mon May 30, 2011 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm riding along and I hear this quiet rattle that quickly fades. I circle back and there it is again, it seems to be coming out of a bush!

weird?

I get off the horse to get a better look, is that something moving around in there, I can't quite see ....

AH! Rattle snake attack! Run away! Run away!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
p.s. when you see a broken down stage coach and a sweet looking lady asking for your help. Don't be fooled!! As general Akbar would say 'it's a trap!'. I got killed 3 times like that before it sank in, twice because I actually went to help and a third time because I just didn't stop or veer off in time. Now though I slam the brakes on instantly and massacre the lot of them from a distance with the rifle. The lady always legs it, but it's good sharp shooting practice. Wink
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware cougars/coyotes and women in their underwear asking for help. I paid $750 for a lovely new horse and I only had it 5minutes before cougars ate it! (and then ate me). It's also important not to rush straight in when you see someone being dragged by horse, chased down by gun men or generally in a fire fight. At night especially it can be hard to tell what is going on and a lot of the times their are lawmen in the middle of it. Shoot one by mistake and suddenly all guns are firing in your direction!

It's possible to just teleport wherever you want to go, but how is that role playing!? No, travel through the wilderness by horse or carriage is the only option and as mentioned above there are awful lot of dangers to be aware of.

I don't think I've ever seen a game with more content. I think if you made a list of everything you've ever seen or read about the wild west it would be in this game somewhere. The number of gambling mini-games is alarming, I'm hooked on liars dice, it's way more fun than the usual rushed mini-game you tend to fine in AAA releases these days.

Reading about the developers saddened me greatly, these guys should be in the development hall of fame, but it turns out the game took 6 years to make and was therefore WAY over budget. Something like 50 employees left or were fired and it was often reported as being a 'death march' to release. Reading all that I would have expected a chaotic game that played poorly, but this is a triumph. Odd.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished it and I'm really impressed with the whole thing, easily makes my all time top ten. Initially I thought 'six years on a game, that's crazy', but now I can see exactly where all that time went. Everyone has probably played it already, but if you haven't then do so immediately!

I don't want to spoil it, but there is some excellent mission writing in there. I'm used to games that have two types of mission, the first is plot related and easily spotted as its moving the whole thing on, the second are filler missions that revolve around killing X of Y and get dull fast. The missions in RDR are quite ingenious, many of them fall into a new category in that they are there to flesh out the world or the main character. They don't always have a predictable good or bad resolution either. Sometimes things 'just happen' and I was quite surprised. People come and go, events happen around you, although you are participating they aren't always about you and you don't always get the last say in what happens. Fantastic stuff.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished 'Undead Nightmare' - quite a meaty game, took me about 10 hours to finish, which is really good value for a bit of $10 DLC. Great start to the game too, each of the normal towns, about 15 of them, is overrun with zombies and you have to go clean them out and also pacify the 5 cemeteries. They all periodically get overrun again, so it keeps you coming back, but not enough to get annoying. The initial missions are great, all voiced and featuring the normal game's voice actors. All the critters you run into are there and zombified. The little campfires you previously could rest at are back, but now you'll find apparently 'normal' people sat eating human remains or a guy with a zombified wife tied up next to him. Great stuff. Cougars used to be a problem in the normal game, they kill your horse in one hit and you in about 3 hits. Now, they are an undead nightmare! The horse reacts first, if you hear it whiny then get ready, the undead cougar can take you out in one hit. Makes it wonderfully jumpy when riding in the wasteland and the horse starts acting nervous and then you hear a cougar growl somewhere. They are a bigger threat than the human zombies.

There are special creatures to find too. A sasquatch, chupacobra and the 4 horses of the apocalypse. They're great, death's horse can kill zombies just by running over them, war's horse sets zombies on fire and all the horses are safe from wolf or cougar attack. Actually, the invulnerability of the horses and their ability to kill the undead is slightly over balanced. There is a very narrow ridge in one spot that is quite long. Some clever designer set things up so very occasionally it would be filled with ~100 zombies. Very cool. Now initially, stumbling into that is hugely scary, easy to get trapped. When you get war's horse you just ride backwards and forwards setting them all on fire, looks great at night.

It's initially cool, but it ruins the fear factor of the zombies, as long as you don't stop in the middle of them they are no longer any threat anywhere Sad The towns and cemeteries are meant to be hard to deal with, you can talk to the leader of the survivors and give them things they need (usually ammo) and this helps bring the town under control. Ammo isn't sold at shops so going crazy with a gun isn't meant to be an option. Except, all you need is war or death's horse. Now you can ignore the survivors and just mow down the undead. It's fun, but a lurking suspicion that it just isn't right gnaws at me (ho ho).

The game's end is a bit of a let down, the final quarter of the game does lose steam and it all kind of dribbles to an end. Shame. Considering its DLC though, I can forgive it. Any chance to play on in the wonderful world of this game is worth it.

Oh and I never got the damn unicorn Sad Thankfully, it lists all the achievements and how to get them, the unicorn is way too hard. I spent about 2 hours trying to 'head shot 10 zombies in a row'. Anyone else ever manage it? Seems impossible to me, one of the buggers will always run screaming at you and bring the rest of them, or a wolf jumps you as you line up a shot. Tsk!
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: