FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
A World of Keflings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: A World of Keflings Reply with quote

Okay, perhaps a bit more casual than most of the games we talk about here, but I was impressed at one of the best co-op experiences I've had in an XBox Live Arcade game. A World of Keflings is a bit like a non-confrontational version of Black and White, with a touch of Settlers. You gather resources to build building components, then assemble them according to patterns whereupon they transform into buildings. Some buildings are homes for your little people to live in, some transform resources from one form to another (e.g. logs into planks or sand into glass), some educate or train your people, and some are used to manufacture building resources. When you have built some homes you can send the little people to work in your other buildings or to fetch resources.

It's not a difficult game. In fact, in terms of challenge, there's very little at all. You can't really fail in any way. There are no enemies, no upkeep costs and nothing that's going to remove your buildings or hurt your people. The only real challenge is the optimization problem of keeping your people working efficiently so that you have the resources for the buildings you want to build. There's a little exploration, though not a lot. There are various little quests to keep you occupied; most are to build some new kind of building, to gather some quantity of resources or to search for special objects hidden around the world.

The thing is, despite lacking a lot of game elements, the co-op play is really fun. I enjoyed managing our resource gathering and processing and arranging our buildings to optimize the flow of resources while my fiancée enjoyed overseeing the construction of new buildings. There's enough to do and sufficient flexibility that neither of you is dependent on the other player - you don't end up stuck with nothing to do while waiting on the other player, but you do feel the benefits of their work. It's a pretty short game, but I definitely enjoyed it. I can think of any number of ways it could be better and more game-like, but I think it's remarkable that it still works without any of that.

As I said, this has been the most fun I've had in a co-op game of late. (Not counting team games, like 2v2 games of Starcraft.) A few of the other games we've tried have been:
  • ilo milo - Very pretty and some fairly fun puzzles, but the co-op feels quite artificial, since it's effectively turn-based, and it's easy to zone out or get distracted while your partner is playing. Part of the problem is that watching another player play isn't all that fun. It's a bit like watching someone else try to solve a Rubik's cube.
  • House of the Dead: Overkill - Utterly tasteless zombie blasting. Good fun.
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii - Deceptive. Fun, but not really a co-op game. It's easier to hinder than to help other players.
  • Monster Hunter Tri - Disastrous. We played this together once on the Wii and died horribly. My fiancée wouldn't play it again. I played the single player a bit and I think the (same-console) multiplayer is badly designed because it drops you in at the deep end and includes none of the introductory content.
  • Castle Crashers - Pretty good, but co-op play doesn't feel meaningfully different from single-player play.
  • Mario Galaxy 1+2 - The co-op is a little bit limited, but it works very well. Player 2 can get a bit bored at times, but there's generally enough to keep them involved.
  • Lego Harry Potter - This gave me a headache. I couldn't keep playing. I think it was a combination of the incredibly cluttered screen and the dynamic split screen. I should point out that Keflings does pretty much the same split screen, but I think in Keflings the camera only pans, whereas in Harry Potter it turns and twists a bit more.

Anyone else played A World of Keflings? Any recommendations for co-op games on 360 or Wii?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll certainly be checking out Keflings, games you can play co-op are very handy.

What I've been playing this half-term:

1. mario kart - excellent split screen game, firing hindrances at one another is a great way to get people leaping off the sofa and shouting at each other. My daughter has just reached the point of matching (perhaps slightly exceeding) my skill, I'm devastated. It's also nice to just to unlock all the different cups together.

2. fable2/3 - the camera struggles to keep both players on screen, but it's playable and helping out wading into enemies more than makes up for occasional camera madness. Fable3 is a much worse game overall, but annoyingly it does improve on the coop play, because you can earn money and XP to help in your own game, give each other gifts and get married (which is so corny it shouldn't be fun, but it is). I've already finished both games, but it's fun to go back and help someone else play it through.

3. split second - got this because it has split screen racing like mario kart, not got round to trying it yet. It's the daftest racing game I've ever seen, you collect power by drifting or tail-gating then use it to set off explosions, bring down rock slides or demolish buildings. It's like an unbalanced version of mario-kart on steroids. Looks really nice, but the AI cheats like crazy and relishes completely nailing you to the wall.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: