FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Thoughts for Starscape 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the CD version!

What kind of moron thinks bigger package size makes a game better? If that's the case, then you should produce a copy of starscape with a cool.txt attatched. Inside this special cool-enhancing download would be nothing but the phrase"This is what it takes to make a game cool for some people" repeated 70,000 times. That should up the download size nicely.

Edit: I tried this, just to see what I'd get... The file produced is 50 megabytes. Very Happy Yep, he needs to download this text file! By size, it's more fun than Starscape!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Isn't the language filter a bit harsh?

Not nearly as harsh as it could be, but yeah, we swear too - A lot, in fact if they introduce swearing in the olympics, we'd be taking home gold. There's some very young people on the board though, so we try and keep it all 'kid friendly'. Besides, I find myself that if I can't make a point without swearing then I'm not being creative enough Cool

Maybe we should have it as an option or something - not sure if there's a board mod for that...
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also understand Weeble's point now that he'd mentioned it. All I can think of to add to that argument would be that since the core game is both a download and on a CD version, just have a similar arrangment with regard to additions.

Over time though, I could see it possibly costing the game company a little more if they had to upgrade those CD versions (the core game part)...i.e. if folks were buying the Starscape CD now, are they getting it at its current downloadable partner's version (1.4e or whatever it is)? Or are the CD buyers still limited by its first incarnation without a net connection to upgrade?

I would simply suggest to the devs that if they are considering rereleasing the core game on CD again, to do it when they think they won't be adding new versions of the game. i.e. if they think 1.5 or whatever will be the last one, make that the new core game that's purchasable on CD to replace the one that's there now.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starscape CD versions are allways the most current version. It's hard to say that any version of a game we do will ever be final; as we've stated before: we'd like to keep adding bits when we have the time, or at least make sure new OS's and hardware are supported.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I hadn't realized you were already making the CDs the latest version. At least for newcomers to the game, they're not staring at the download page as often as someone like me would with my version from October '03, but then the downloads were never that huge to begin with which is a + not to mention one of the things that drew me to it originally.
nightwolfz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make your base upgradeble like fighter and also have special tech things, like flying saucers around you surrounded with energy, or a small fighter factory attached to your base.
May be even the ability to put that unbreakable armor(or shields) on your base and/or spaceship.

^^ Laughing
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gots an ider why not make ss2 a mmorpg like earth and beound (i have never played that but it looks fun) you can buy and coustomise ships and fly them to like you cuould fly your mouthership to the astoroid feald an then launch a fighter to mine and you could toataly coustomise our ships including your mouther ship and you could have a bunch of hull templates and reashecable tech's and you would be playing online whith thousinds of pepple i would pay $10 a mounth for that
Badday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sounds kinda fun, but i think there might be a few problems there. :/

Moonpod doesn't have the resources for something that huge, and making it "deep" enough to be worthy of a monthly fee for an extended period of time could prove a challange for what is at heart an arcade spaceship shooter. Earth and Beyond didn't do that well, iirc.

Now, including some sort of multiplayer modes in SS(2) would be nice. Co-op and/or head-to head would rock for internet/lan play. A co-op mode would have to be tweaked to provide some sort of challenge with 2 players, though.

That plus a beefed up survival mode (big fan of that, here Razz). Though i personally hope they beef up SS1's Survival mode in a future patch. Smile *hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge* Hey, a guy can hope, can't he? Very Happy
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think Earth&Beyond was a bad example to choose as it is closing down due to lack of interest. The thing that put me off is the game's hands-off third person control. Like EveOnline you don't really fly the ships around, you just click on a destination and the ship goes there and then you click on a target and the ship shoots it. Both games just seemed a bit dull to me.

Putting a real time twitch play mmorpg together is even more of a challenge than the huge challenge of a normal mmorpg. I haven't tried it yet but I think this game (Jumpgate) is a proper real time 3D space mmorpg and there is also a free demo available.

http://www.jossh.com/terminal_civilian.html
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only used eabo as an example beacuse it was the closest thing i could think of my idea would retain the same gameplay only masiveley multiplayer and if you think moonpod cant make a mmorpg then you should play runescape its a low budjet mmorpg whit bad grafix but its free and pepple play it now moonpod could defently make a mmorepeg if thay charged 5/10$ a mounth
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, If I may make a suggestion that would kill two birds with one stone:
Make a way for players to use their own music for the game. Someone (I can't for the life of me remember who) mentioned that they would like there to be more music. What could be done is this: have a default set of songs and such, but add a forlder titled something like music. All players need to do is place the musical selection of their choice in the folder and rename it something like "Node00.mp3", "Node01.mp3", "Aegis00.mp3", or "Boss00.mp3". It would be really cool if the there were no limit on the number of songs. You could have 100 songs or 2 for each catagory. Of course that's absurd and you would want a limit, but still, the point being that the number of songs for each catagory would be variable.
One could also create a mini-program (much like the kind that came with the original release of warcraft 2) where you tell what songs, when to play then, and it compresses and formats and alters whatever needs to be altered
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are considering something like this for Battlescape, so it may be possible to 'retro-fit' the system onto Starscape at a later date if we do it (Have to admit, we like the idea, but it's low on the priority list). The only major issue is that we can't use mp3s (any program that plays back mp3s needs to pay a licence fee that is way beyond anything we can afford!). We currently use the (better than mp3 anyway!) Ogg Vorbis format, and there's loads of really good converters out there already. The only bad thing would be that lots of people have mp3s already, so you couldn't just point Star/Battlescape at your existing music folder.
BluePhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* stupid licensing. Well, point me in the direction of a converter and I'll be fine.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people I know use ogg anyway for their cd albums, because the quality is far better than mp3. If you are using a media player like foobar2000 it will play pretty much anything, ogg included, and can rip albums to ogg. Another good encoder is oggdrop, just set the quality and drop files onto its window, and it does the rest. You can download oggdrop and lots of other utilities from the ogg vorbis website.
Drazek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improvements :

- Multiplayer is a must, please please please
- alot more hulls and different varities
- different style of upgrades and alot more choice and less linear
- more Station interaction and upgrades... having the ability to stick 4 turrets and a cannon is not good enough for me, I want alot more stuff and maybe actually setting up a base command in a sector ? and producing mini stations for mining etc
- which brings to a hyper drive unit or whatever so you can travel out of nodes to others without your station (can't travel in hyper zone though)
- Computer controlled Allies and races so you enter a node where the xenoarch and physcos are fighting and its like a proper fight not a scripted "xeno will die unless you help them" or whatever, proper fair, random fights.
- make the game more logical ... "we need your bodies so we can combine ourselves with you, we have captured hundreds of you we need more" then why not breed the 100 to get even more ? you stupid machines.
- maybe add some planets and different nodes.
- be able to move rocks etc and maybe allow room for more tactics for example "use grav beam to change the direction of the fast moving rock so it chrushes into the enemy".
- where is this civil war? i want them fighting eachother for the drive compents etc making it more real !.
- Enemy more different, how many times you enter a node and its like the same enemys doing the same actions going around and around... why not add more enemys and more fexiblity and maybe get a station upgrade to look at the enemy "fleets" not some dots but maybe more tactical information and their actions.

these are just off the top of my mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: